51%
 51%  [75]
Total Votes: 147

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 28 of 93 <123 ... 272829 ... 919293>
Print this entire topic · 
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

bio diesel is indeed hygroscopic, ok if your using the car regularly as the fuel get chance to ' go off' as it where.

Not so good for the big fuel tank on my combine harvester for example as that sits there doing nothing for 10 months of the year Confused or for my on farm storage tank which 'hopefully' never gets empty. this is relevant at the moment as red diesel is getting an increased bio-diesel proportion in the new year. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #82538 1st Dec 2010 9:34 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Something else I ponder on is people like shell fuels add different additives to what the supermarkets add

Who can say that the addition of 2T could cause a reaction with said additives and cause more problems as it's not just plain diesel, what if one of those additives is already 2T and your 300ml extra makes it too high a ratio Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #82542 1st Dec 2010 9:43 pm
DiscoGeorge

South Africa 

Hi Alex

the answer to this here in SA is actually quite easy. The most popular bakkie in SA is the Hilux. It currently uses a CRD diesel 3 litre. There have been a lot of complaints in the motor media about injector and pump failures on CRD components of all makes. On the bakkie mentioned about every 80'000-100'000km. SA farmers are very crafty and a lot of them use the 2sO trick. Those bakkies last about 400'000-500000km with one set of injectors when driven with 2sO. SA farmers have been using the 2sO for decades for various reasons, but primarily due to the (condens) water in their storage diesel tanks.

As far as my longdistance driving is concerned, I have customers that I visit, which entails a 1000km round trip (in one day).

But I am taking it easier now. Since I have gone past age 55, I don't drive that much anymore. With kind regards
DiscoGeorge
1998 Disco1 ES 300Tdi with twin TrueTracs
2005 Disco3 TDV6 S
And some more serious stuff

Post #82543 1st Dec 2010 9:52 pm
DiscoGeorge

South Africa 

npinks and Alex

the main problem with CRD components failing is due to the bio diesel's hygroscopic behaviour. The tolerances in the CRD fuel pressure pumps are measured in 1/100's of a milimetre. Any ingress of water even in minute quantities will cause havoc. You guys must remember, that we here in SA also have the temperature related problems, which will aggravate hygroscopic behaviour.

The mixing in of bio diesel with ULSD is a political decision, not one based on engineering facts. And that is where the problem REALLY lies. With kind regards
DiscoGeorge
2005 Disco3 TDV6 S

Post #82544 1st Dec 2010 10:00 pm
DiscoGeorge

South Africa 

npinks wrote:
Something else I ponder on is people like shell fuels add different additives to what the supermarkets add

Who can say that the addition of 2T could cause a reaction with said additives and cause more problems as it's not just plain diesel, what if one of those additives is already 2T and your 300ml extra makes it too high a ratio

npinks

2sO is a fuel oil, which can be used in compression ignition engines (albeit expensive). Adding 2sO to diesel will form an emulsion. 2sO is therefore not an additive but an integral part of the diesel fuel. Because 2sO in JASO-FC grade burns much cleaner and hotter than diesel, it will drastically reduce carbon and sulphur deposits on the piezo-electric CRD injectors and will also reduce EGT.

One needs a basic understanding of the operation of the diesel engine to appreciate the benefits of adding 2sO.

Increasing the mixing ratio of 2sO can cause no damage, but exceeding 150:1 i.e. 100:1 or 75:1 will lead to blue smoke development. The ideal mixing ratio is 200:1 With kind regards
DiscoGeorge
2005 Disco3 TDV6 S

Last edited by DiscoGeorge on 1st Dec 2010 10:16 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #82547 1st Dec 2010 10:09 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Reading back through that guy's comments I find that he is preaching a subject that has already been done to death here.

I also find that if you question his or his new found friend's advise/opinion/view on this subject he takes offence.

For example, and I quote "you guy's still don't get it", I assume from that statement that he expects to be believed and gets annoyed when he isn't.

As I have said before, it is your engine so you do with it as you wish. After all, it will be you who has to pay the potential repair bill should anything go wrong because of the use of 2T oil and not him or his friend.

I don't care who he or his new found friend is or what experience they claim to have, he, like the rest of us is a "no name" on an internet forum. ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #82553 1st Dec 2010 10:37 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

the end Rolling Eyes 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #82659 2nd Dec 2010 8:16 pm
Boxer

Wales 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Come on guys and gals, play nice now... Whistle Don't put petrol in a diesel. They don't run well.

Post #82679 2nd Dec 2010 9:19 pm
EXPENCELANDER

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

24 hours after putting the 2stoke into my vehicle I can tell the difference on start-up, no chug chug chug(same daily temperature.. freezing)smoother acceleration and quiter running until the engine gets warmed up, after that I cant tell the difference. I did put a full bottle in though.
Cheapest I found was at Morrisons supermarket at £1.49-500ml though the rating was FB.
I got mine from Mr Hal Ford and paid way over the top but I could not wait to get the stuff, then remembered I still has some along with my old car accessories that I took off before selling.

Dont forget that you are paying Vat on the % of Bio additives although not classed as a fuel it should not attract this charge (methinks). Rolling Eyes Offset your Carbon emissions by boycotting Baked Beans and all Green Vegitables.

Post #82682 2nd Dec 2010 9:21 pm
DiscoGeorge

South Africa 

Hi Expenselander

if your vehicle is equipped with a particle filter, you will need to get a JASO-FC compliant 2sO. This is to make sure that the PF doesn't get clogged with ash deposits, which cannot be burnt off.

On another note I am expecting in the next few days some pictures on the damage done to CRD pumps by diesel without enough lubricity. (ULSD and ULSD with 5% Bio diesel)

There is a company in Johannesburg reconditioning these pumps and they know all there is to know about the symptoms and causes of these failures.

The moment I have those pics I will post them on this forum. Should make for interesting viewing and strengthen the cause for 2sO Smile With kind regards
DiscoGeorge
2005 Disco3 TDV6 S

Post #82704 2nd Dec 2010 11:07 pm
EXPENCELANDER

Thanks DiscoGeorge, I did get the FC rating, just stated that the Morrisons Supermarket was rated as FB.
Just had an unnerving experience, went out to put the Snow /Frost cover on the car and found all the windows down, used to happen with the rear tailgate window on the FL1. Boody Remotes, give me back a Key system anyday, I know about Wafers/Pins/Keys but Remotes are doing my head in. Offset your Carbon emissions by boycotting Baked Beans and all Green Vegitables.

Post #82710 2nd Dec 2010 11:39 pm
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

When I read the comments of npinks and Dave (to mention the most obstrusive posts) I cannot help, but I have to smile. How can people who claim to have some brain and education do not use their brain and education and THINK! No personal discredit is meant with this statement.
Worldwide positive experience with adding 2-T oil to the diesel must at least let those persons start thinking about their iron rejection of 2-T oil to their tank. And npinks still believes that adding 2-T oil to the diesel will damage the engine or components therof. Npinks, representing this community as Moderator, you have not submitted any post in which we could reasonably assume that you have invested some thoughts in the 2-T oil discussion, but you have impressed us with stubborn statements hiding behind whatever guarantee-problems you fear, again without any proof of your knowledge of warranty and guarantee-issues. And you seem - sorry having to say this - not to be interested to learn and/or take the benefit of other peoples experience.
Of course I am a "no name" participant to this otherwise excellent Forum, as we all are. But this is the intention of any internet forum that things can be said and opinions can be discussed without the fear of legal consequences from parties that consider their interests disturbed. And myself are sometimes balancing between my professional duty and my personal opinion. And the questionable quality -to put it mildly- of so called DIN fuel, and the hundreds of (increasing) law cases I have/am attending with regard to HP-Pump failure, injector failure or engine break down, and the clearly noticable trend why such failures and break down have taken place have given me the strenght to discuss the 2-T oil/diesel fuel issue openly in this forum.
So please, let us return to being pragmatic, back to pro and cons and sharing of experiences.

YF

Post #82951 4th Dec 2010 2:51 pm
DiscoGeorge

South Africa 

Hi YF and other forum members

I am currently busy with a company in Johannesburg to obtain hi definition photographs of the damage done to CRD pumps.

This damage is mainly centred around nylon/teflon and rubber seals, that are being damaged due to the absence of sufficient lubrication.

Said company in Johannesburg is reconditioning these pumps with new seals, which then renders them operative again. They have told me that they can immediately see, when a pump has been run with 2sO due to the absence of chafing marks which happen when diesel with insufficient lubricity is being used. According to information obtained from them, these (CRD) pumps fail from 50'000km upwards to about 120'000km when driven with ULSD. On pumps which have been run with ULSD AND 2sO, they haven't had one with less than 400'000km on it.

When I have the pics, I will post them in this thread for all to see. With kind regards
DiscoGeorge
2005 Disco3 TDV6 S

Post #82992 4th Dec 2010 6:32 pm
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Yawn 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #83001 4th Dec 2010 7:06 pm
EXPENCELANDER

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Just maybe that folk are wary in taking the plunge., after all they are very expencive vehicles and components.
In my view all the more reason for the protection offered by 2 stroke oil. Offset your Carbon emissions by boycotting Baked Beans and all Green Vegitables.

Post #83707 9th Dec 2010 8:41 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 28 of 93 <123 ... 272829 ... 919293>