« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > EVs vs ICE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
AT1963

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey
EVs vs ICE

Just watched TV comparison between EVs and Petrol.
In my opinion it did not compare real world concerns so hence this topic.
My version would be a comparison of the following:

EVs ICE

Cost new:
Cost to insure:
Yearly maintenance cost:
Cost to buy after 2 years:
cost to run charging vs fuel:
technology:
Years to carbon neutral status:
Road tax or equivalent:
storage in litres:
range on full charge or full tank:
time to get to location beyond range of charge or tank:

For freelander bods:
Towing:
Off road ability:

In my opinion more real world issues.

Post #444507 4th Sep 2024 9:25 pm
I Like Chips

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic38376.html?highlight=ev

Post #444508 4th Sep 2024 9:52 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I have now watched my recording of this program.

Most of their findings seemed subjective and were dependant on the (varying) vehicles they choose.

One thing did stick out though was the vast difference in the speed of devaluation.

The EVs seemed to have lost most of the large price premium (against ICE) by the 3rd year. Thus a vast loss for a private owner, it said that most private buyers should aim for 2nd hand cars.

It was a pity that a PHEV was not included in the comparison checks. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 77k+ miles) (MY2015)
Metro in its 11th Year of (Extended) LR Warranty / Full LR Service History
(Expensive, but Trouble/Worry free - hopefully?)

Post #444547 7th Sep 2024 10:29 am
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red
Re: EVs vs ICE

AT1963 wrote:
Just watched TV comparison between EVs and Petrol.
In my opinion it did not compare real world concerns so hence this topic.
My version would be a comparison of the following:

EVs ICE

Cost new:
Cost to insure:
Yearly maintenance cost:
Cost to buy after 2 years:
cost to run charging vs fuel:
technology:
Years to carbon neutral status:
Road tax or equivalent:
storage in litres:
range on full charge or full tank:
time to get to location beyond range of charge or tank:

For freelander bods:
Towing:
Off road ability:

In my opinion more real world issues.

Having put the Freelander up for sale after getting an EV, I can answer a few of those questions, in order.

Cost new, possibly slightly more than an equivalent petrol, but as something like 9 out of 11 new vehicles are on lease, those costs don't effect private individuals, who tend to buy second hand.
We chose an Ioniq 5 (it's on a lease), as it's a nice looking equivalent of the Freel2, which had a SSP of £46,950, the Freelander it's replacing cost £32,995 when it was bought back in 2008, so I don't consider the Ioniq expensive in comparison, considering the inflation that has taken place over the last 16 years.

Our I-5 costs less to insure than the Freelander it replaced, at £654 this year.

Yearly maintenance doesn't exist, it's 2 years or 20k miles, which costs £175 when I enquired.

A 2 year old Ioniq 5 can had for about £30k, representing a good saving on the new price.

Running costs, it depends.
If home charging on an EV tariff, then it'll be about 1/10th of the running costs. My Freelander does about 90 miles to £25 worth of diesel. The I-5 does an average of 3.5 miles to a KWhr of electricity, which on our EV rate of 6.9 Pence per kWhr, works out at under 2 Pence per mile. Unfortunately charging away from a home EV tariff is more expensive, by a substantial margin.

Technology, I don't know what you're referring too, but our Ultimate spec I-5 is decades ahead of the Freelander.

Years to carbon neutral is difficult to tie down exactly, but on the whole it's under 5 years for most EV on the market, and some are under 3 years.
You have to remember that an ICE vehicle will never be carbon neutral, as it's producing CO2 for every second the engine is running.

If an EV is under £40k new, then at the moment the RFL is free. However if the purchase price is over £40k, then it gets hit with the luxury car tax for 5 years, but this applies to ICE and EV alike.

By storage do you mean boot space? This varies on the vehicle, our I-5 has a 530 L boot, and another 80L in the frunk. The Freelander is 750 odd, but this is to the roof, not the parcel shelf like the I-5 is measured.
Something like the rather boring looking Tesla model Y has more space than the Freelander.

Range, it depends.
Our I-5 will do about 300 miles of urban driving, but about 260 at motorway speeds to a full charge.
The Freelander will do about 350 miles round town, and 450-500 at motorway speeds from a full tank.
The difference is cost. The Freelander costs best part of £100 to do 450 miles, the I-5 costs £5 in electricity to charge the battery from empty to full, this on a home charger of course. If we're away from home, then charging does cost more, but I use Tesla Superchargers almost exclusively, which are by far the cheapest way to charge, when more than a full charge away from home.

Newer EVs can tow, many of those can tow just as much or more than the Freelander.
Off road is tricky, but there are EV which can go off road, but as only a tiny proportion of owners actually go off road, the manufacturer's aren't clambering to make off road capable EV, but some do exist.

One thing you didn't ask was about performance. This is where EVs shine, as even a moderate performance EV is much faster than an equivalent ICE vehicle. Our I-5 will go from 0 to 60 in ½ the time it takes for the Freelander to reach the same speed, and the EV does it silently. Overtaking in our I-5 is particularly easy, as there's no need for a run-up, or even a long gap in traffic, a quick stab of the throttle, and the car that was in front is now behind, no drama at all, and our Ioniq 5 isn't a fast one, just a 2WD long range.

Would I go back to an ICE, not at all. I'm actually looking for another EV (second hand this time) to replace our other car, which is an ICE. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate. The family car.
2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Gone.
2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE. Gone.
Audi A5 convertible, my daily driver.
1972 Hillman Avenger GT, the project.

Post #444557 7th Sep 2024 5:14 pm
robblue

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Thumbs Up 2009 FL2 S now gone
2011 FL2 HSE AUTO
2012 FL2 XS AUTO
2000 Kawasaki er 5

Post #444561 7th Sep 2024 6:06 pm
IanMetro

Although the program said how light Lithium was it did not point out how reactive it is and in my mind how careful you need to be when dealing with it.

The dangers are really apparent when replacements/accessories are bought from unproven sources.

Free Chemistry Lesson ---
https://byjus.com/chemistry/reactivity-series/ FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)

Post #444578 8th Sep 2024 12:04 pm
Nodge68

The issue with fire in lithium ion batteries is nothing to do with lithium, as there's no metallic lithium in a battery. The fire is caused by heat build up in the battery, normally from some form damage or over charging. This heat then causes the organic (often alcohol) electrolyte to burn with alarming force.
It's very unusual for a battery to catch fire in normal circumstances, but it can happen. It's the exception rather than the norm though, and as manufacturers move away from volatile electrolyte to much safer types, the issue will go away completely. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate. The family car.

Post #444582 8th Sep 2024 6:00 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

depending on the chemistry the batteries can have a membrane that ions can cross but the catholyte and anolyte cannot. If this membrane becomes damaged (pin prick sized) the two sides come into contact and generate heat, enough to melt the membrane, so the hole becomes bigger giving a larger contact area allowing more of the two chemicals to mix.
You eventually get a run away scenario where the infamous lithium battery fires become apparent.

Not all lithium batteries are like this, but a lot are.

We did a lot of testing on lithium batteries a few years ago, single cells were "tested to destruction" grip one lightly in a pair of bolt croppers, place it in a bucket of water and apply force to the bolt croppers. First time result was "we need a bigger bucket !" Ni-cad cells in the same test didn't have the same almost explosive reaction. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #444596 9th Sep 2024 2:49 pm
AT1963

There are rumours that the government may introduce an alternative to road fund licence which means you pay for the miles you drive. This will include EVs if it comes in.

Post #444597 9th Sep 2024 7:18 pm
Wonderdust

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

The clocking of speedos will be back in fashion!

Post #444606 10th Sep 2024 6:03 am
Just a driver

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

And when the spedo head is opened up there will be a little note saying, oh no not again.🤣

Post #444607 10th Sep 2024 6:57 am
IanMetro

EV Drivers are likely to 'Stump up down the Road'

In this article it says that the EV cars were expected to pay the Car Tax in 2025(RFL?) but as said above Tax on miles travelled is likely to follow soon using some kind of (GPS?) tracking.

I think that a tax system like based on usage and vehicle quoted gross weight would be a lot fairer, also tracking of large goods vehicles would stop them using the very narrow roads, that link some of our major routes. A pet hate of mine as they locally cause delays, and danger, by using 'prohibited' routes

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/fuel-news...fuel-duty/ FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)

Post #444610 10th Sep 2024 9:33 am
IanMetro

Monthly Fee for having use of the Heater on?

I might be dramatising it a bit, but future cars will be built with most features included and you will pay, or rent, these functions as add-ons. We already do this with many things and suppliers enjoy the many 'drip feeds'.

Also it looks likely that cars will contain a more centralised computerised system with a main box directly feeding the peripheral units that control the car and provide the luxuries.

Judging on my experience as a mobile phone/computer user, will taking away support or making the computer work slower, decide the life of future cars?

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/editor...&ei=47 FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)

Post #444611 10th Sep 2024 10:27 am
AT1963

Thank God i will be pushing up daisies by then Rolling with laughter

Post #444615 10th Sep 2024 3:24 pm
Nodge68

AT1963 wrote:
There are rumours that the government may introduce an alternative to road fund licence which means you pay for the miles you drive. This will include EVs if it comes in.

Nothing wrong with that in my book. As long as it's also applied to ICE vehicles as well, in place of the current RFL.
An EV will still be much cheaper to run per mile on an EV tariff, when compared to an equivalent ICE vehicle. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate. The family car.

Post #444621 10th Sep 2024 9:32 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>