Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > EVs vs ICE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
AT1963

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

I do get it Nodge68, but not for me. I tend to opt for more low tech living options such as log burner to heat house (and heat me collecting , splitting and burning it Very Happy ).
We do not have gas connection and try to use as little electricity as possible. I enjoy working on things and using my skill set to maintain stuff and feel an EV is that step too far.

I also think that there is a certain amount of brainwashing going on with EVs as there should be a more even balance and investment going into biofuels which reduce emissions and make fuel much more efficient than what it is and prevent us poor people having to buy another car.

However, i also do feel there is a certain amount of Hugh profiteering going on by clever switching of types of fuel/energy by trying to get us to buy this new way of powering transport which will in turn save the world!!!

And by encouraging leasing they are even more creaming us as they definitely do not want personal car ownership as they want us to replace our vehicle every 3 years....how the hell is that good for the environment? This just encourages increased production of vehicles and so Hugh profiteering. The circle of life goes on.

Post #444677 13th Sep 2024 4:07 pm
Just a driver

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

Similar to us , use a log burner as well just no good at mechanics. We have not strapped ourselves up on the never never to buy a motor before and at this stage of life have no intention of starting now. I think your right about the brain washing though.

Post #444680 13th Sep 2024 4:31 pm
Dartman the one

England 

Bio fuels have a lower calorific value than fossil based fuels, thus needing more efficient engines to break even, no one is developing internal combustion engines except F1, and the plants for bio fuels are grown on land that is either deforested or used for growing food, neither of which is great. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #444681 13th Sep 2024 7:48 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

AT1963 wrote:
I do get it Nodge68, but not for me. I tend to opt for more low tech living options such as log burner to heat house (and heat me collecting , splitting and burning it Very Happy ).
We do not have gas connection and try to use as little electricity as possible. I enjoy working on things and using my skill set to maintain stuff and feel an EV is that step too far.

I also think that there is a certain amount of brainwashing going on with EVs as there should be a more even balance and investment going into biofuels which reduce emissions and make fuel much more efficient than what it is and prevent us poor people having to buy another car.

However, i also do feel there is a certain amount of Hugh profiteering going on by clever switching of types of fuel/energy by trying to get us to buy this new way of powering transport which will in turn save the world!!!

And by encouraging leasing they are even more creaming us as they definitely do not want personal car ownership as they want us to replace our vehicle every 3 years....how the hell is that good for the environment? This just encourages increased production of vehicles and so Hugh profiteering. The circle of life goes on.

I'm a petrol head, and always have been. I just don't like spending my time working on modern vehicles, so I want to do as little as that as possible. This is why the EV appeals to me so much, more so when it's cheaper to run on a daily basis.
I do have a classic car which I'm restoring, but that will be petrol powered, not electric.

We also do a lot of our heating with wood, although we have an oil boiler for convenience too.

About 50% of our electricity comes from our solar system, but the car is charged at night using cheap off peek electricity.

I'm young enough not to be put off by technology, especially if said technology helps save time and money. I'm not brainwashed towards EVs, especially when the media is brainwashing folks away from them.
They're just better for day to day transport, which I think is a good thing.

Biofuels aren't really a viable proposition, as they're not as good as fossil fuel, and the engine burning the fuel is woefully inefficient, literally turning 70% if the fuel's energy into heat, which is just a waste. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate. The family car.
2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Gone.
2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE. Gone.
Audi A5 convertible, my daily driver.
1972 Hillman Avenger GT, the project.

Post #444690 14th Sep 2024 8:28 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Just a driver wrote:
Similar to us , use a log burner as well just no good at mechanics. We have not strapped ourselves up on the never never to buy a motor before and at this stage of life have no intention of starting now. I think your right about the brain washing though.

A friend simply rents his Hyundai EV as he doesnt want to have to worry about any future end of contract value. He acquired it mainly for work commuting; doesnt have a home charger as he has free EV charging at work. Jules

Post #444699 15th Sep 2024 3:25 pm
Nodge68

I'm one of a growing number of EV drivers at work. It's surprising how many people say they'll not get an EV, then 18 months later they arrive at work in one. After driving them for a few months, they're hooked and wouldn't go back to ICE.

Free work charging can be considered a taxable benefit, so isn't always the cheapest option to run them. However I'm aware that not everyone has access to cheap rate home charging, so in those cases, work charging and paying a bit of extra tax is the next best thing. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate. The family car.

Post #444702 15th Sep 2024 5:43 pm
Just a driver

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

jules wrote:
Just a driver wrote:

A friend simply rents his Hyundai EV as he doesnt want to have to worry about any future end of contract value. He acquired it mainly for work commuting; doesnt have a home charger as he has free EV charging at work.

Renting is just like leasing, financing in disguise. If he has no work for a couple of weeks or is bit short one month do they let him off not paying that month? I bet not, so it’s just debt with another name. We are old school, if we can not pay for something we don’t have it.

Post #444704 15th Sep 2024 6:27 pm
AT1963

I was speaking to a Psychiatrist colleague today who said her partner who is a coroner had dealt with 2 incidents of battery fire which shut down the car as the batteries wouldn't open the car so occupants perished.
He advised her to buy window hammers to use if this happened. I think it is called thermal runaway?
The other issue seems to be if there is any issue with a battery then as it cannot be repaired there is a tendency for insurance companies to scrap the car!!
I was not aware of any of these issues but if this is the case buy a window hammer Shocked Shocked Thumbs Up

Post #444756 17th Sep 2024 5:00 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

A window hammer is a must for any car, not just EV’s, that have electrically operated locks and door handles as they will all have the same problem if there is no current to the actuators. No power, no mechanical unlocking mechanism, no escape.

Post #444757 17th Sep 2024 5:20 pm
KeithB

United Kingdom 

Just been reading through this thread for interest as we have a Tucson PHEV. So, if the battery packs up can you not open the doors at all from inside and what about from outside? If you can break the window can you still not open the door. There's no way me or the Missus would be able to climb out through the window! We'd have to cook!

Post #444762 18th Sep 2024 2:47 pm
Nodge68

AT1963 wrote:
I was speaking to a Psychiatrist colleague today who said her partner who is a coroner had dealt with 2 incidents of battery fire which shut down the car as the batteries wouldn't open the car so occupants perished.
He advised her to buy window hammers to use if this happened. I think it is called thermal runaway?
The other issue seems to be if there is any issue with a battery then as it cannot be repaired there is a tendency for insurance companies to scrap the car!!
I was not aware of any of these issues but if this is the case buy a window hammer Shocked Shocked Thumbs Up

I would question the validity of that, as there's absolutely nothing about this incident on the Internet globally, let alone in the UK, and news like that would be all over the front pages of the anti-EV tabloids.
The statistics show that an EV is something like 80 times less likely to suffer from a battery fire, than an ICE suffering from an engine fire.

Also all modern cars have electrical door locks and most have electric windows too, both of which could fail in the event of a power failure.
An EV traction battery is independent to the 12 Volt battery (yes they still have a normal 12V battery) so the 12V should continue to power the vehicle electrical system in the event of a main battery fire. Things like door locks are designed to automatically release on an impact, which has been a standard safety system on vehicles for the last 3 decades, so this getting stuck in a burning vehicle is either unlikely, or is a result of the body deforming, pinning the doors closed. This could be any vehicle, not just EVs. An EV traction battery is very well protected, so pretty difficult to make catch fire.
Euro N CAP have never had an EV battery fire, and they test all EVs in several scenarios, including heavy side impacts, and the batteries don't catch fire, even after sustaining considerable damage. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate. The family car.

Post #444763 18th Sep 2024 2:51 pm
AT1963

Hi Nodge68
i share this to share info that might hopefully save someone.
Anyway here is a quote about increase in fires but i did wiew an article that went into more detail but cant find it at moment Shocked

Sharp increase in electric vehicle fires since last year

What we do know is that while between 2017 and 2020 the number of recorded fires remained relatively low, there was a dramatic upsurge in 2021. This is demonstrated in London Fire Brigade’s figures, which jumped from 32 fires in 2020 to 102 in 2021. In the first half of this year alone, there have been 98 incidents recorded.

Post #444764 18th Sep 2024 6:24 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

More opinions on the huge depreciation of high end EVs, and the chaotic situation the motor industry is finding itself in; being fined for not meeting Gov quotas for new EVs being sold against a reluctant consumer base causing a recent slowing of EV sales.

&ab_channel=Shmee150

Go to 12:40 to see how much he lost on his Porsche Taycan

Something will have to give - what will it be ? Jules

Post #444770 18th Sep 2024 8:05 pm
Nodge68

AT1963 wrote:
Hi Nodge68
i share this to share info that might hopefully save someone.
Anyway here is a quote about increase in fires but i did wiew an article that went into more detail but cant find it at moment Shocked

Sharp increase in electric vehicle fires since last year

What we do know is that while between 2017 and 2020 the number of recorded fires remained relatively low, there was a dramatic upsurge in 2021. This is demonstrated in London Fire Brigade’s figures, which jumped from 32 fires in 2020 to 102 in 2021. In the first half of this year alone, there have been 98 incidents recorded.

Fire brigade figures often include cheap low quality E bikes and scooter fires, so the figures are artificially much higher than they would otherwise be.
The only important EV fire is an actual battery fire, which if the correct information is sourced, the figures are very low. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate. The family car.

Post #444775 19th Sep 2024 6:49 am
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Just a driver wrote:
I did not realise EV had dropped that much in price. 3 or 4 grand for an EV that can tow the caravan and can be repaired at Fred in the shed, that is good.

Haven't seen too many cars at this price point t suitable to tow a caravan. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #444776 19th Sep 2024 7:34 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>