« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > EVs vs ICE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

AT1963 wrote:
At 61 years young i have no intention of buying another car if the Freelander holds up.
Why would i want to pay about £10k extra for a battery??
Freelander runs well, is within my budget for running and maintenance and is one of the best vehicles i have owned. Why would i spend my hard earned cash to keep up with the latest trend.
I owe nothing on my car, do all servicing myself and it tows the ifor well.
No brainer!!

I'd hope at 61 that I'd be living long enough to need another car. Much as I like my Freelander I'd be hoping it wears out before I do! Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #444777 19th Sep 2024 7:36 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I agree with Bob,

AT1963 seems to be very pessimistic about his own lifespan/reliability and perhaps over-optimistic about
the lifespan/reliability of his FL2 and running a it for 25-30 years.
I would concentrate on saving up to buy insurance on his (EV?) car, so that he can afford to drive in his 80s.
Although by the year 2045 EVs will be compulsory, and there will be a 'blanket' 20mph speed limit.

PS I bought my 'LAST' car some 26 years ago (my ex company car) but FORTUNATELY I have been forced to buy 3 more cars over the years as replacements. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 77k+ miles) (MY2015)
Metro in its 11th Year of (Extended) LR Warranty / Full LR Service History
(Expensive, but Trouble/Worry free - hopefully?)

Post #444779 19th Sep 2024 9:34 am
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

AT1963 wrote:
Hi Nodge68
i share this to share info that might hopefully save someone.
Anyway here is a quote about increase in fires but i did wiew an article that went into more detail but cant find it at moment Shocked

Sharp increase in electric vehicle fires since last year

What we do know is that while between 2017 and 2020 the number of recorded fires remained relatively low, there was a dramatic upsurge in 2021. This is demonstrated in London Fire Brigade’s figures, which jumped from 32 fires in 2020 to 102 in 2021. In the first half of this year alone, there have been 98 incidents recorded.

Here's an article by CE, which looks at the fire brigade data more closely. It basically shows that all electric transport is lumped together in the reports, rather than different forms of electric transport being reported separately.
By far the most likely EV to suffer a battery fire is an E bike, often from a cheap manufacturer.
Here's the report, which makes for interesting reading.
Also keep in mind that the number of actual electric car fires is tiny, when compared to ICE vehicle fires.
https://cesafety.co.uk/news/electric-vehicle-fires-around-the-uk Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate. The family car.
2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Gone.
2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE. Gone.
Audi A5 convertible, my daily driver.
1972 Hillman Avenger GT, the project.

Post #444780 19th Sep 2024 9:47 am
Nodge68

IanMetro wrote:
I agree with Bob,

AT1963 seems to be very pessimistic about his own lifespan/reliability and perhaps over-optimistic about
the lifespan/reliability of his FL2 and running a it for 25-30 years.
I would concentrate on saving up to buy insurance on his (EV?) car, so that he can afford to drive in his 80s.
Although by the year 2045 EVs will be compulsory, and there will be a 'blanket' 20mph speed limit.

PS I bought my 'LAST' car some 26 years ago (my ex company car) but FORTUNATELY I have been forced to buy 3 more cars over the years as replacements.

I keep cars for 4 to 5 years, then it's time to move on to something different.

I'm 56, but wouldn't even consider buying a "forever" car now, or even in a decades time.
Cars are designed to have a finite lifespan, most manufacturers aim for about 10 years, some less, some more.
Cars complicated machines, which can and do suffer from failure, be that mechanical or structural rot, both of which can render the vehicle not viable to keep on the road.
It's all well and good to say things like "I'll never buy an EV" but normally those people have never driven one, or lived with one for a short time. I was the same, until we were given one as a curtesy car while the wife's car was being repaired after an insurance claim. After driving that EV for almost 6 weeks, both the wife and I realised that most of the negative comments we'd seen were absolute rubbish.
So when the lease was up on our Mazda CX5, we decided to save up for a year to afford the Ioniq 5 we now have.
As it turns out, it was even better to own that we had thought, as we are now able to fuel it for just a couple of Pence per mile, which is much less than the Audi we used in the interim, or the Freelander I've just sold.

You mentioned saving for EV insurance. For us it's no different to an ICE car. Actually the I-5 is less to insure than the latest Freelander quote I had, and about the same as the Audi A5. Not all EVs are expensive on insurance, but Teslas are, which warps the figures massively. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate. The family car.

Post #444781 19th Sep 2024 10:00 am
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

We are 3 months into running a Clio Alpine E-Tech as our second car , it’s a self charging hybrid . Two electric motors and very low tech 90hp 1600 cc petrol engine . It will produce a maximum of 145ps with everything kicking in . We’ve averaged 61 mpg from it . The longest run we’ve done without the engine kicking in is about 14 miles on the flat , the vehicles computer just fires up the motor as necessary . It’s changed my view a lot in going for a full EV for the future as in city traffic it’s nicest thing I’ve ever driven! There’s an extra letter on the auto box , B , which is boosted regenerative braking ( thank you F1 technology ) using this mode driving in town is basically a one pedal exercise , brilliant just like a kid in a bumping car ! Although the acceleration is modest by todays standards ( 9.4 0-60) , the battery boost at the bottom end makes it really swift where you need it , the same on overtaking on the motorway , kick down like an auto and full battery boost arrives instantly.

I think the Full and Partial hybrid vehicles , are a route that a lot of sceptical drivers will adopt before full EV , then having done so , like me their eyes will be opened a little bit more . As the owner of a big polluting 2.8 diesel myself I fully expect to be crucified by Two Tier Kier in his money grab to level us all down , so I’m being open minded now where I’ll go next ( I bought a Hilux rather than a defender as pickups don’t get the extra annual “ luxury tax “ on over £40k list price ) .

PS we bought the Clio with my wife’s Boundless ( the old CSMA ) discount , we’ll keep it 4 years and expect to lose £12k . Leasing it would only have cost £13,500 for the same term , and left us with the capital earning interest as it was drawn down , it may have been the wiser choice . I’ll certainly look at Leasing as the preferred option if we go EV , it’s the sensible option if all the videos on depreciation are correct . 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Last edited by MartynB on 19th Sep 2024 10:45 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #444783 19th Sep 2024 10:37 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Had first car 18 years, same for second car. The Freelander only 10 years old.

In 2016 wired the garage with 3 phase for next car.

Probably I will wear out quicker than the Freelander. No point replacing a perfectly good car. Due to permanent family health issues only going through a tank of petrol every 4 weeks.

Some of the streets in our area are already 30kph (18.6mph).

Probably will go for a jet powered mobility scooter next! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #444784 19th Sep 2024 10:41 am
Just a driver

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

I think that one of the biggest problems with EV is politicians. What ever politician from any party tells you how wonderful something is and how good for you it will be, you know that they are telling porkies, and that they are getting a back hander somewhere along the line. Be it free holidays or free clothes, that is why people are sceptical and don’t buy into it.

Post #444785 19th Sep 2024 11:04 am
Nodge68

MartynB wrote:
We are 3 months into running a Clio Alpine E-Tech as our second car , it’s a self charging hybrid . Two electric motors and very low tech 90hp 1600 cc petrol engine . It will produce a maximum of 145ps with everything kicking in . We’ve averaged 61 mpg from it . The longest run we’ve done without the engine kicking in is about 14 miles on the flat , the vehicles computer just fires up the motor as necessary . It’s changed my view a lot in going for a full EV for the future as in city traffic it’s nicest thing I’ve ever driven! There’s an extra letter on the auto box , B , which is boosted regenerative braking ( thank you F1 technology ) using this mode driving in town is basically a one pedal exercise , brilliant just like a kid in a bumping car ! Although the acceleration is modest by todays standards ( 9.4 0-60) , the battery boost at the bottom end makes it really swift where you need it , the same on overtaking on the motorway , kick down like an auto and full battery boost arrives instantly.

I think the Full and Partial hybrid vehicles , are a route that a lot of sceptical drivers will adopt before full EV , then having done so , like me their eyes will be opened a little bit more . As the owner of a big polluting 2.8 diesel myself I fully expect to be crucified by Two Tier Kier in his money grab to level us all down , so I’m being open minded now where I’ll go next ( I bought a Hilux rather than a defender as pickups don’t get the extra annual “ luxury tax “ on over £40k list price ) .

PS we bought the Clio with my wife’s Boundless ( the old CSMA ) discount , we’ll keep it 4 years and expect to lose £12k . Leasing it would only have cost £13,500 for the same term , and left us with the capital earning interest as it was drawn down , it may have been the wiser choice . I’ll certainly look at Leasing as the preferred option if we go EV , it’s the sensible option if all the videos on depreciation are correct .

Thanks for the fresh owner insight to living with a different power train.
I must admit I'm hooked on the EV's instant torque available on the push of the accelerator. Diesel drivers are really missing out on this aspect of electric power, and would probably appreciate it if they tried it.

As for leasing, yes I did the maths on it too. I could have bought an 18 month old version of what we have now, but I wanted the later options and larger battery pack of the 24MY vehicle we got. Leasing was definitely the cheapest alternative for us to get the new model we wanted, compared to loosing best part of £20k over 3 years if we'd bought the vehicle outright. The lease and advance payment totals less than the expected depreciation, so it works out OK, and we get to keep the cash we would have spent on a new car in the bank.
We've actually discovered that after switching to an EV tariff, the fuel savings alone make up almost ¾ of the monthly lease, so it's a win win for us financially. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate. The family car.

Post #444786 19th Sep 2024 11:06 am
Nodge68

Just a driver wrote:
I think that one of the biggest problems with EV is politicians. What ever politician from any party tells you how wonderful something is and how good for you it will be, you know that they are telling porkies, and that they are getting a back hander somewhere along the line. Be it free holidays or free clothes, that is why people are sceptical and don’t buy into it.

I agree.
I don't believe the government should be forcing EVs on people either.
I believe that emissions targets should be met with incentives, not mandates.
Ours and other governments around the world are giving vast sums of money to the oil industry either directly or by massive tax breaks, or both. These should stop, as these companies are rich enough, with additional government funding.
The saved funds should in turn be applied to help potential EV buyers be able to afford a new or low mileage second hand EV.
Also there needs to be continuous investment into destination charging, so that those who don't have the luxury of their own charging, can use low price destination charging near their homes instead. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate. The family car.

Post #444788 19th Sep 2024 11:22 am
Nodge68

I see that EVs will be paying RFL from next year.
While I'm not really a fan of paying RFL, I do realise that it must happen if taxation somewhere else is to be avoided. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate. The family car.

Post #444881 24th Sep 2024 2:53 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

RFL ? I think the Road Fund Licence officially ceased in 1955.

I thought it was now VED . "car tax" Smile Its got nothing to do with funding the roads anyway- thats all in general taxation, as it should be. Jules

Post #444886 24th Sep 2024 6:11 pm
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

You guys with plug-in hybrids - do you have solar panels or just 7kh wall sockets?? MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #444949 27th Sep 2024 8:24 am
Jimboland

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

RFL ? I think the Road Fund Licence officially ceased in 1955.

I thought it was now VED . "car tax" Smile Its got nothing to do with funding the roads anyway- thats all in general taxation, as it should be. Jules

It should be a lot cheaper.

Jimbo

Post #444954 27th Sep 2024 10:49 am
Just a driver

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

Lower VED is just a dream unfortunately. With a growing population government will raise it higher as a way of controlling the number of motors on the road.

Post #444958 27th Sep 2024 12:15 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

tenet wrote:
You guys with plug-in hybrids - do you have solar panels or just 7kh wall sockets??

plug ins dont have huge batteries, a basic charger on a 13a plug should be OK for most users.

Saying that fitting a 7kw wall charger isnt silly if your going to be using either hybrid or EV for the foreseeable future.

I have an 22kw 3 phase charge as i have the power supply at hand, this makes better use of the phases on my 3 phase solar.

the ipace how ever can only accept 11kw charging but actual draws 12kw according to the screen on charger.

22kw could be too fast as it would often use more power than available from my panels, therefore using grid electric also , I can throttle the charge speed and maybe will do if a future car starts drawing 22kw or so At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #444959 27th Sep 2024 12:40 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 5 <12345>