51%
 51%  [75]
Total Votes: 147

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 81 of 93 <123 ... 808182 ... 919293>
Print this entire topic · 
SakoQuad

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

The early pages are the ones that need reading to get an idea of what Yamaha fan was saying. After that most pages are filled with arguments about why you would have to be insane to do such a thing and why you would have to be insane not to.

The variation in the experiences of some members who have used it are interesting in that some say they got demonstrable improved MPG, many say they got a reduction in engine noise and some like me have had a reduction in exhaust emission / smoke measured at MOT whilst a few decided it did nothing as far as they could see. Not all the changes or improvements happened for everyone then.

My take on it is that my MOT results encourage me to continue with it, it costs very little especially compared to additives which have been shown to do nothing at all in the main and it MIGHT save me expensive repairs later on things like turbos, injectors, fuel pumps etc

Post #254105 20th Feb 2015 5:54 pm
SakoQuad

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

For info - your link to your survey appears to be broken as I get a message saying the page does not exist

Post #254106 20th Feb 2015 5:56 pm
Paul.W

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Have used it for most fill ups over the last 15,000 miles. In that time I have used only Shell or BP including many tanks full of premium diesel. My view is that the car has run smoother and more quiet when the diesel has been dosed with 2T oil. It is now coming up to the 100,000 mark. As a precaution I did have a new inlet manifold fitted at around 86,000 although the old one had no issues. As far as mpg goes it varies considerably between 33 to nearly 40 dependent on length of journeys and how it is driven. On the last 2 MOTs there has not been the need for the MOT tester to rev the guts out of it to get it down to the acceptable emissions level. Overall I happy to use 2T and will continue to do so.

Post #254107 20th Feb 2015 6:00 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

SakoQuad wrote:
My take on it is that my MOT results encourage me to continue with it, it costs very little especially compared to additives which have been shown to do nothing at all in the main and it MIGHT save me expensive repairs later on things like turbos, injectors, fuel pumps etc

....and (maybe) EGR valve & swirl flaps..... 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #254108 20th Feb 2015 6:02 pm
Pedro

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Galway Green

Nope never used it.
Been using Tesco diesel and petrol across all cars and Motorbike for over 10 years and never any problems. FL2 HSE Auto Galway Green
Evoque SD4 Auto Blue.
FL1 HSE TD4 Manual Black - Gone.
RR Classic V8 EFI - Gone

Post #254111 20th Feb 2015 6:20 pm
Badger1970

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

For the first time ever, I filled up with Tesco Diesel on Wednesday....only because Mrs. Badger had a voucher for 20p a litre off that needed using up. In two days and 156 miles, my MPG has fallen like a stone from 32 - 35 to a miserly 25.6. I am assuming that this is a glitch, and am closely monitoring it over the remaining 4/5ths of the tank....my gut feeling is that it will hardly improve, and even at 90p a litre, it's a total false economy. Foraging near Gaydon....
覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
MY13 HSE Lux SD4, Baltic Blue - current, 30,000> miles without fault
MY12 HSE 2.2 SD4, Sumatra Black - gone after 10 months/43,000 fault-free miles

Post #254113 20th Feb 2015 6:52 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Nope. Prefer to spend what I would spend on 2SO on decent fuel.

It puts me in mind of years ago when people would rather spend 」3 on a gallon of cheap 20/50 engine oil then another fiver on a can of STP oil additive instead of sending 」8 on a decent gallon of branded oil. Rolling Eyes

Post #254120 20th Feb 2015 7:42 pm
pcheaven

United Kingdom 

I have always advocated quality fuel

That said. Will try most things once

Post #254192 21st Feb 2015 9:53 am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

Added my vote but it's based on a D3 not a FL2. Should be consistent anyway.

There are many of us in the D3 world who use TSO (the idea having largely come across from here) and consider it a great success. I easily get an improvement of at least 3 MPG and would highly recommend it. Regardless of what diesel you use, it has to comply with EU regulations and is therefore lacking in the sulphur that helps with lubrication. TSO is by no means a vastly different product to diesel and I am happy to use it in my engine. Thumbs Up

FWIW, D3 injectors are 」180 each minimum (so over a grand for a set) - believe me, if I thought it would do harm, I would not be using it. Happily, it does quite the opposite. Smile Freelander 2 2007 TD4 Manual HSE Tambora Flame
Discovery 3 2006 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver
Previously: Freelander 2 2007 TD4 Manual SE Santorini Black

Post #254208 21st Feb 2015 12:14 pm
Portculislr

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Rimini Red
Have I tried using 2-Stroke oil

Have read dozens and dozens of articles and forum threads on this subject which seem to show the vast majority of diesel owners are pro this practice and almost zero (although not completely) threads from people who have had a negative experience as a result of this practice. The technical articles seem to make sense although I'me not sure I fully agree with the thread that I have read that says all Diesel Suppliers now put 5-7% bio-diesel in their regular diesel to overcome the effects of poor lubricity due to low sulphur content. I am sure some do but if they all do, when don't they say so. I am also not convinced that the higher grades of diesel are specifically there to address poor lubricity but just to give a more refined product for better performance and economy. As a result I thought I would give it a try and my results are as follows:

The engine did seem to run quieter and at 70 mph my foot was barely on the throttle at this speed. I started the car at 1.5 deg.C outside temperature this morning where my car usually takes about 4-5 secs to fire up at this temp and rattles like hell for a few minutes. This morning it fired up almost instantly and only exhibited the normal diesel noise you get at normal operating temperatures. I am definitely going to give it go for a few tankfuls and then stopping using it for a while to see if there is a degradation in the engines behaviour. I have a 2007 FL2 TD4 with 94K on the clock and have been using Sainsburys el cheapo mineral 2 stroke at a 200:1 mix.

Post #254328 22nd Feb 2015 11:52 am
pcheaven

United Kingdom 

took the plunge yesterday.

to my ears, the engine is noticably quieter.

vote applied. 

Post #254726 25th Feb 2015 11:19 am
landroverroy

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HST Auto Rimini Red

Tried it for the first time yesterday in my 2008 HST auto.
Normally after filling up, the display shows a range (at max) of 375 miles. This time, after doing 35 miles of semi urban driving, the range still shows as 422miles.
I couldn't get any semi synthetic TSO so used some mineral oil that my son had for his jetski. Made a nice change from him helping himself to my stuff. Laughing

Post #254863 26th Feb 2015 10:26 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

i hope you checked that it was the correct spec first Wink Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #254864 26th Feb 2015 10:31 am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

landroverroy wrote:
Tried it for the first time yesterday in my 2008 HST auto.
Normally after filling up, the display shows a range (at max) of 375 miles. This time, after doing 35 miles of semi urban driving, the range still shows as 422miles.
I couldn't get any semi synthetic TSO so used some mineral oil that my son had for his jetski. Made a nice change from him helping himself to my stuff. Laughing

Mineral is the best stuff to use in my view and it's cheaper anyway.

The main thing is that it must be JASO FB or, better still, FC. Thumbs Up

(N.B. For DPF cars, it must be FC or better.)

My recommendation is that people start off by trying Castrol Actevo 2T which is FC spec. Wink Freelander 2 2007 TD4 Manual HSE Tambora Flame
Discovery 3 2006 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver
Previously: Freelander 2 2007 TD4 Manual SE Santorini Black

Post #254867 26th Feb 2015 10:59 am
pcheaven

United Kingdom 

as per yamaha-fan.. ,on his monster thread

2T-oils should comply with JASCO "FC" or ISO L-E "GC" or "GD", which should be written on the bottle. All 2T-oils as per these norms burn with an ash content of less than 0,05%. 

Post #254869 26th Feb 2015 11:01 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 81 of 93 <123 ... 808182 ... 919293>