Total Votes: 147

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 82 of 93 <123 ... 818283 ... 919293>
Print this entire topic · 
landroverroy

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HST Auto Rimini Red

npinks wrote:
i hope you checked that it was the correct spec first Wink

No - would have done if I was buying it. But didn't have the spec with me when I came upon it unexpectedly in the shed. Whistle
It was too good an oportunity to miss Very Happy and certainly seems to doing the job. Thumbs Up

Post #254880 26th Feb 2015 11:26 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

pcheaven wrote:
as per yamaha-fan.. ,on his monster thread

Yamaha-Fan was a her, and i assume still is Whistle Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #254888 26th Feb 2015 11:56 am
taztastic

England 

Laughing

Post #254918 26th Feb 2015 2:30 pm
princesharky

Hi Everyone,

Been reading this thread on off for the last 6 months reading various other forums that seem to refer to this site a lot! Anyway i have been using 2 stroke halford's version £5.99 for a litre low ash mineral refined. I felt the urge to register and give my take on this and maybe someone with a similar car to mine might help them out. So hear goes:

Mazda 5 1.6d - Notorious PSA engine!

I have had this car for about 4 months now with about 19k miles when purchased, now at 23k with 2 stroke used in the car at 20k and stopped using at 21k. This car shares the same engine as Ford, Peugeot, BMW and Citroen. They are notorious with blown turbo's due to carb build and DPF issues. Ever since i got the car especially in the cold the car would idle slightly high and when slightly warm it would tick over normally by lowering the idle to its normal position however there is a vibration you could feel and outside you could smell strong exhaust fumes, once warmed up fully you could not feel the vibration anymore and the fumes are less noticeable outside. Dealership had a look but due to engine been warm they could not recreate the issues i was having and i could not leave the car overnight either due to work commitments.

Anyway i thought very hard about this 2 stroke business and with DPF and the engine being very sensitive i decided to take the plunge Smile Used a old 275ml bottle filled it up with 2 stroke into my tank and washed it down with about 50 litres of diesel from Shell normal stuff. The first few weeks nothing happened, i commute to work 20 miles 5 days a week on the motorway no increase in mpg, still the shudder from cold but i did notice there was less clatter from engine. Just incase your wondering my mpg before 2 stroke was 28/29 maybe less at time's that never changed even with 2 stroke. So i stopped using after the 3rd fill up.

Anyway this vibration started to get to me so i decided to get my tool's and dismantled the booster pipe from the turbo to look at idle valve and the flap to my astonishment this was like brand new, no residue of carbon build up. Could this be related to previous 2 stroke use?? So today i decided to start again, same procedure as above. Did not even have any expectations, engine was warm anyway so it didn't vibrate as usual.

Went on my daily commute and after about 15 miles of driving i realised my MPG for the first time since ownership was reading between 33 and 34 on short, stop, start journey!!!!! Got home and left car in the cold weather for 5 hrs absolutely freezing today. Out of curiosity i thought lets see what happens now when i start up from cold (couldn't wait until morning!). Absolutely gob smacked NO vibration at all, it went through it's motion from cold start but when the idle drops slightly it will shake and vibrate before but it wasn't doing this now! It felt different, the car drove a lot nicer, a lot punchier at the bottom rev's when going up to change to 2nd and 3rd. No smell from the exhaust either like before (trust me previously it was so bad you could smell it even if not standing next to car).

So now i am looking forward to driving my car a lot more and hopefully in the knowledge knowing the 2 stroke is helping keeping the MPG up, vibration out and future turbo and DPF issues away for a long time Smile

Post #255411 3rd Mar 2015 3:04 am
RichP

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

What was the period of time from stopping using TSO to opening up the booster pipe? Would it be possible that by dismantling and refitting you actually cured the problem by your physical actions? Have you any evidence of how clean the pipe/flap was before using TSO?

Post #255412 3rd Mar 2015 7:17 am
princesharky

I took the car back to dealers at 19500miles they checked the idle valves and said there is small amount of carbon build up but that was normal hence why they refused to dig further and look at the egr valve. As access to EGR valve was behind the engine and it would have taken them at least an hour or so. So hence I was living with this for a while even after trying tso initially. However yesterday was different, I can't explain why now it's making a difference! The car recently about 2 weeks ago went back to dealership for another unrelated issue and I got them to check again for vibration they hooked it up to computer and did fuel pressure check, leak check and could not find anything. So my retry of TSO was a last resort use again.

The fact that the idle valve was dirtyish at 19500, tso used at 20000miles stopped at 21000. Now at 23000 miles it's showing almost brand new, when nothing been physically cleaned by hand!!!!!!!! My opinion is previous use of tso must have been working in the background all be it gradually. With the recent usage it must have cleaned it out a little more quickly to make a difference? I am a very good diy mechanic and before use of tso and even before going to dealership I checked the car for leaks and if the booster pipe had been leaking I would have spotted it and even if it was leaking the sym tons would have been there ALL the time!

Post #255424 3rd Mar 2015 10:29 am
RichP

Thanks, think I am finally convinced to start using this. To save trawling back to see, does anyone know what TSO is suitable for a non DPF car? Has anyone got any good suppliers they would recommend?
Thanks.

Post #255427 3rd Mar 2015 11:47 am
SakoQuad

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Low ash, mineral. forget the spec numbers but they can be found in Yamaha Fan's post at start of the thread.

Best price - I think- is Comma 2SO from Amazon (£17.49 5 litres delivered free).

If you want to buy a litre then I use Morrisons supermarket mineral 2SO at £4 per litre

Post #255428 3rd Mar 2015 12:35 pm
RichP

Thumbs Up

Post #255430 3rd Mar 2015 12:50 pm
princesharky

Quick update, car running fantastic this morning! I originally used Comma low ash mineral (greenish oil), then yesterday used Halfords own version low ash mineral oil (redish oil). Going to check Morrisons out £4 quid a litre is brilliant Very Happy

Thanks again to everyone who contributed to this thread especially Yamaha Fan Thumbs Up

Post #255432 3rd Mar 2015 1:14 pm
pcheaven

United Kingdom 

fairly even split at the moment between users and the non believers 

Post #255433 3rd Mar 2015 1:15 pm
Xomegaman

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Fuji White

Tried 2SO several times but didn't notice any great improvement however for what it's worth I changed from supermarket fuel to Shell V Power Nitro and the around town mpg has gone from the pervious 32 mpg average to 37.5 mpg average now. The engine also sounds quieter and the low speed pick up is better and less noisy.

Stranger than fiction 😆 MY2010 XS Fuji White dog carrier

Post #255538 4th Mar 2015 12:02 am
Xomegaman

2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Fuji White

Tried 2SO several times but didn't notice any great improvement however for what it's worth I changed from supermarket fuel to Shell V Power Nitro and the around town mpg has gone from the pervious 32 mpg average to 37.5 mpg average now. The engine also sounds quieter and the low speed pick up is better and less noisy.

Stranger than fiction 😆 MY2010 XS Fuji White dog carrier

Post #255539 4th Mar 2015 12:02 am
Lost for Words

pcheaven wrote:
fairly even split at the moment between users and the non believers

TBH, I'm quite surprised that some aren't seeing results. If no-one in a FL2 saw it, then maybe I'd put it down to the car, but as plenty have... Confused Freelander 2 2007 TD4 Manual HSE Tambora Flame
Discovery 3 2006 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver
Previously: Freelander 2 2007 TD4 Manual SE Santorini Black

Post #255735 5th Mar 2015 11:06 am
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

I dont use it but I am open to suggestions to prolong engine life and daily driving.

Ive just started putting a dose of Millers additive into a full tank of supermarket fuel (I pretty much fill up once a week).

No noticable change in economy, indicated around 35mpg average with a combined theoretical range of +/- 520miles

BUT...... it is very noticably smoother on accelaration and general running. At 50-60mph, drop to 5th to overtake, and it pulls like a train. Very Happy

Post #255738 5th Mar 2015 11:24 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 82 of 93 <123 ... 818283 ... 919293>