Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > MPG (DISCUSSION THREAD)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 27 of 61 <123 ... 262728 ... 596061>
Print this entire topic · 
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Mines an 08 Auto with 93k on the clock, around town I would expect 22-24mpg, Motorway at 70 I would expect 28-31 depending on the fuel type.
It is possible using command shift and keeping the speed down below 55 to get 38mpg on the motorway, but it drops very quickly when you get back into traffic.

It is possible to get it below 18mpg on a 100 mile run, just don't do it too often.

Towing a 1,000kg van can get between 18 and 24 mpg depends on how you drive - typically at 60 I get 24mpg.

PS I don't drive at 70mph, have full mud tyres, and don't give a Censored what the fuel economy is actually like, your a long time dead so enjoy lifes little pleasures. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #192155 22nd Jul 2013 6:57 pm
mozz

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Andy131 wrote:
Mines an 08 Auto with 93k on the clock, around town I would expect 22-24mpg, Motorway at 70 I would expect 28-31 depending on the fuel type.
It is possible using command shift and keeping the speed down below 55 to get 38mpg on the motorway, but it drops very quickly when you get back into traffic.

It is possible to get it below 18mpg on a 100 mile run, just don't do it too often.

Towing a 1,000kg van can get between 18 and 24 mpg depends on how you drive - typically at 60 I get 24mpg.

PS I don't drive at 70mph, have full mud tyres, and don't give a Censored what the fuel economy is actually like, your a long time dead so enjoy lifes little pleasures.

Cheers for the info guys, I done another test last night and it was improved a little. Probably getting late 20's around the town driving like Miss Daisy! I think it will improve a little as the mrs and I get more used to the AUTO.

Well worth the low MPG though, so nice to drive! Plenty of poke too!

Post #192262 23rd Jul 2013 8:38 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Past master

United Kingdom 

mozz wrote:
Plenty of poke too!

That could be the explanation for the low mpg!!!

Post #192306 23rd Jul 2013 2:09 pm
mozz

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Past master wrote:
mozz wrote:
Plenty of poke too!

That could be the explanation for the low mpg!!!

to be honest, the first time we drove it and reset the MPG monitor, we were driving like old ladies, however i did try out the sport mode, which probably blew it out!

Post #192307 23rd Jul 2013 2:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
smr.ward

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HST Auto Stornoway Grey

We have owned our MY08 TD4 for 3 years and averaged around 31mpg over 24,000 miles. It is fitted with roof bars and rails which will make a slight difference. Steve
--------------
Owned: 2008 Freelander 2 HST
Own: 2000 Defender 90 TD5

Post #192774 26th Jul 2013 11:48 pm
Splash

Italy 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 S Auto Fuji White

Some stats for those of you interested.I have just returned from an 1800km trip from central Italy to S of France and back. Mostly m/way with about 250k town and cross country roads. Very hot weather so a/c on all the time. Two adults with luggage. Cruise control on whenever possible. Average fuel was 34 mpg ( 8.3l/100km). On m/ways speed was legal limit, usually 130kph( 80mph). I add 2t oil, 300cc per tankful and buy the basic diesel on offer. Tyres at recommended pressure. 15k km on the clock. I pass about 85% of other road users so do not drive like a Sheep Happy enough with the consumption and a very comfortable car for long trips. In fact as comfy as a 2 litre Golf I used to own, which was also a good long distance vehicle. 2012 SD4 S, Fuji White ( sometimes). Slushbox.

Post #193129 30th Jul 2013 6:00 pm
koolandy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

I am commuting between London and Bristol and have been experimenting.
42mpg if I don't use the accelerator mostly on CC.
36mpg if I do.
I have yet to do a clear run so I hope to do better. FL2 HSE 2.2 TD4 MY07 Sumatra Black
Packs - Bi-Xenon Lights, Heated Windscreen, Heated Memory Seats, Privacy Glass, Fuel Heater, Armrests, Towbar
FL 2.2 HSE TD4 MY00 Station wagon Black

Post #193640 4th Aug 2013 8:50 pm
Splash

Hi Koolandy, looking back through the (many) pages of MPG entries they are certainly all over the place. Is yours a manual box? And what's your cruise speed? Your 42 is an enormous 30% gain over mine.
The majority of the posts are from TD4 owners. Mines an SD4....the extra horses obviously eat more food even if you don't let then out very often!

Post #193686 5th Aug 2013 9:09 am
koolandy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Sumatra Black

Just did 40mpg on today's run keeping to around 70mph.
100 miles motorway, 14m A-roads.
Keeping gear changes down to minimum (manual)
AC on and 12v fridge on in boot FL2 HSE 2.2 TD4 MY07 Sumatra Black
Packs - Bi-Xenon Lights, Heated Windscreen, Heated Memory Seats, Privacy Glass, Fuel Heater, Armrests, Towbar
FL 2.2 HSE TD4 MY00 Station wagon Black

Post #193760 5th Aug 2013 5:40 pm
Splash

Koolandy, my wifes' occasional pilgrimage to the holy shrine of Ikea gave me the opportunity today to try to emulate your mpg figures. 1, Get up to speed on m/way, exactly 70mph measured by Tom tom. 2, turn on cruise control, 3, Reset the computer. 4, Register amazement as nearly all the cars and vans on the road overtake me, except for the Fiat pandas who realise that they may pass you downhill but will definitely be overhauled again on the next incline.5, explain, to wifes comment of ''why are you driving so slowly today?'' that empirical experimentation underway. 6, Arrive at the Danish temple, ( just 300 yards away from the m/way exit toll-station)... 7, buy...whatever, then return on exactly same route. Check consumption immediately on exiting M/way.
88 miles at 70mph returned 41mpg . I am surprised, I must say. My usual cruise is the legal limit here, 130kph (80mph). That extra 10mph makes an almighty difference.
However, here in Italy, 70mph is not for me. Passing trucks and then having to squeeze in behind the next truck ( or Panda!) whilst impatient Italians flash h/lamps and affix themselves like velcro to my rear bumper makes for an hectic journey. The extra 10 , to 80, smooths the trip out a lot.
But at least I have proved to myself that the high figures claimed by some of you out there are possible.

Btw, it is important to use your satnav to measure the speed. My last three cars have all overestimated the speed by between 6 and 7 mph ( at 80mph). So, 86 on the clock is really only 80. This relates to an approx 8% under-reading of the true fuel consumption of your car. This is a major plus point to car makers of course. Also, those cars with distance based warrantys are seeing the customer off bigtime. Multiply that 'stolen' warranty distance by the number of cars they sell and its a lot of money. Some may call this fraud....I do!
The police in Europe unofficially ''allow '' you 8 to 10 % error in your speed, so some manufactures claims that the overreading speedometer is to protect you is pure bs. Axe now ground. Thanx!

Post #193852 6th Aug 2013 2:56 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

After have a couple of weeks Down in the Cotswolds I found I had better mpg than been up in leeds

I think it was down to the distance between things, and the speed everyone drives at, in leeds its a zip here or there, but down in Cotswolds everyone drives along at 50-60mph on long straightish roads, were most people would be overtaking each other if they were in leeds

I did 300 or so miles and returned 29mpg were as in leeds I get 24mpg Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #194429 11th Aug 2013 12:11 pm
taztastic

England 

Earlier this week, filled up on Texaco supreme or whatever it is, drove to Stafford services, received an e-mail, very bad one, drove back to office in a furious frame of mind, on the private road at my disposal I was travelling at 90+ for miles on end, got back to Accrington.....39.7mpg.
I also get better mpg on the motorway if it is in sport mode.

Post #194436 11th Aug 2013 1:43 pm
WarriorBez

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Sumatra Black

I get between 22 and 24mpg in my Warrior so this makes any Freelander look good! But I just couldn't go back to driving a car after 7 years of owning 4x4's so there is no point moaning, the freelander does 10mpg more at around 33! So that's very good in comparison Very Happy and I'm more than happy with that Black FL2
L200 Warrior

Post #194438 11th Aug 2013 1:50 pm
shamus5178

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

I own a FL2 HSE. It's an oil burning tractor, has the aero dynamics of a breeze block. Am lucky if I get 30-32 mpg on a daily basis but I don't care. If I wanted better mpg I would buy something smaller and boring, but I don't want to. I drive an FL2 because I want to and can Thumbs Up

Post #194469 11th Aug 2013 5:37 pm
fredastaire

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black
MPG

I have just sent the following to Mike at LR
quote:-
Hello Mike, I see you are on line.
You will be well aware on the Freel2 forum that many members are very conscious of fuel consumption.
It is clear that FL2 MY11 and beyond have better fuel figures that FL2 MY10 and before.
I have a MY10 auto bought with a wrecked engine and replaced it personally with a facelift MY11 onwards engine.
I therefore know from first hand knowledge that the basic mechanics and fuel system of the MY11 engine is no different to the MY10.
Please can LR come up with an engine ECU update software program such that we all can benefit from better fuel figures.
I am sure that members will be most happy to go to their local LR dealer to pay for a software upgrade to this and help the total green image of LR
We look forward to the official LR reply

Kind regards from Fred 2010GS Auto ex Celeb, Santorini Black, 2011 facelift , spoiler, spats, mudflaps, LED footwell lamps, Witter detach,
Other cars:-
1958 & 1959 Austin J40 Pedal Cars under restoration (I make many J40 parts)
If you have an Austin J40 or Pathfinder Pedal Car looking for a new home pls PM me.
2009 Meriva

Post #194602 12th Aug 2013 10:21 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 27 of 61 <123 ... 262728 ... 596061>