Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Spotted a fat Evoque - Anyone want to guess what it is?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Pegleg wrote:
Conjecture can be healthy Thumbs Up . Gives us something to discuss.
As long as we're all made aware that's all it is.

I am with you on that Thumbs Up Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #183312 8th May 2013 6:20 pm
Mav71

Boycey wrote:
My point was about the word 'guarantee'

I too work in the supplier base for JLR and others and often see here statements that strongly suggest some 'inside' knowledge but are clearly anything but. There are examples recently that are not just wrong, but downright misleading (petrol vs diesel volumes for example)

For pure styling issues very few people even in JLR know for sure. As an example I know that even the people styling the interior of new models only work on 'bucks' so as to keep external details as close as possible.

That's really my point; I don't want to insult anyone, but the truth is there are a very small number of people who could comment so authoritatively, and they would never be found speculating on an open forum.

It's a figure of speech. But when you are told, by a senior member of the R&D team at LR, and I quote :-

"There will be significant changes implemented on Future Land Rover models to separate them from their Range Rover counter parts in terms of style and luxury, starting with the Next generation Discovery"

So yes of course I am not privy to the inner most secrets of Land Rover any more than other members on here, visiting the factories on a regular basis and seeing what goes on, and of course people talking to you about certain things, does allow me to make certain assumptions which are logical based on the facts I have, and to be honest have proven to be right several times before.

I can understand your point of view, and it is all speculation to a degree. But as I said on a previous post, I saw the new Range Rover body shell over two years ago, and the pretty much finished car about 8 months before launch.

So you get an insider knowledge and understanding of the way they are going.

I have seen the new Vauxhall Insignia, which is not launched until the bad end of the year, but I can tell exactly what has been changed and how it will look. Thumbs Up Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #183314 8th May 2013 6:32 pm
Mav71

But then if I did, a certain person at Vauxhall may not be happy lol Embarassed Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #183315 8th May 2013 6:33 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

I assume then, as you have seen such things, that you have signed the automotive version of the official secrets act? Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #183320 8th May 2013 6:38 pm
Adrian888

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Stornoway Grey

Given the success to date of the Evoque and R/R brands along with likely market growth in US, China/India/Russia etc I am with the view that L/R and R/R styling will continue to part company to maximise sales of the 2 ranges almost as separate but not competing brands. From a business standpoint that makes sense whilst using common platforms and underbody structures and components including with Jaguar to maximise economies of manufacturing. It is simply too costly to develop different structures for all 3 brands but common platform doesn't mean common styling. Look at VAG with their Golf/a3/Leon/Octavia all sharing underbody structures and the last generation Focus/V40/Mazda3 which also share platforms and some engines. eh tu?

Post #183426 9th May 2013 12:02 pm
Mav71

Pegleg wrote:
I assume then, as you have seen such things, that you have signed the automotive version of the official secrets act?

All that is part of the signing in procedure when you visit. You also have to bare in mind, that these plants are so vast, that you could be simply walking from one place to another and some thing strange and interesting drives by, or is parked up.

I remember about 18 months or so, when at the Jaguar plant, there were a few lightly disguised facelift XF's floating about the place, and one pulled along side me as I was walking through the plant and I said the guy I was with, that sounds very much like. 4 Cylinder diesel.

At that point, there was nothing in the press about Jag doing a 4 cylinder diesel. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #183490 10th May 2013 8:21 am
Mav71

Adrian888 wrote:
Given the success to date of the Evoque and R/R brands along with likely market growth in US, China/India/Russia etc I am with the view that L/R and R/R styling will continue to part company to maximise sales of the 2 ranges almost as separate but not competing brands. From a business standpoint that makes sense whilst using common platforms and underbody structures and components including with Jaguar to maximise economies of manufacturing. It is simply too costly to develop different structures for all 3 brands but common platform doesn't mean common styling. Look at VAG with their Golf/a3/Leon/Octavia all sharing underbody structures and the last generation Focus/V40/Mazda3 which also share platforms and some engines.

You have hit the nail on the head. This is how all the big boys do it. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #183491 10th May 2013 8:22 am
Adrian888

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Stornoway Grey

The 4 cyl diesel F type was planned some time ago which was clear from reading between the lines of interviews with JLR staff in the more reputable and less sensational auto press. having said that it's not the most competitive of engines a situation the new engine range will hopefully address. I personally look forward to trying a diesel-hybrid in the not too distant future! eh tu?

Post #183502 10th May 2013 10:38 am
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

Just a daft thought - isn't there somewhere you can look up a registration and see what model of vehicle it is.... or is that illegal? 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #183513 10th May 2013 11:46 am
Shaw Tarse

England 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Orkney Grey

MyCarCheck Thumbs Up
Amongst others.

Post #183516 10th May 2013 11:58 am
Boycey

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

[quote="Mav71"]

Pegleg wrote:
You also have to bare in mind, that these plants are so vast, that you could be simply walking from one place to another and some thing strange and interesting drives by, or is parked up.

I remember about 18 months or so, when at the Jaguar plant, there were a few lightly disguised facelift XF's floating about the place, and one pulled along side me as I was walking through the plant and I said the guy I was with, that sounds very much like. 4 Cylinder diesel.

At that point, there was nothing in the press about Jag doing a 4 cylinder diesel.

But that level of information is no different from the thousands of employees who work in these places, or these days the thousands of contractors on site. Its impossible to keep secrets in those circumstances and the car companies don't bother trying.

What was being suggested earlier in the thread was knowledge of new model styling, which is on a different level entirely, and is never more than speculation.

Incidentally I totally agree about brand segmentation. Given their plans for new models it had to be the case and I would be surprised if it wasn't 3 or more distinct sub-brands, rather than simply RR/LR. I don't see new Defender derived models being pitched to the same people who would spend £50,000 on a new disco, but that doesn't mean design cues (so called automotive DNA) won't be seen across all models. They'll be different, is my guess, but readily identifiable as the same heritage. But like everyone else except a very small number of people, it's just my guess.

Post #183524 10th May 2013 1:26 pm
Mav71

Why is it that some people chooses to pick apart everything I say. So lets clear this up once and for all.

A) Yes as said, I like many others see what is going on around these large sites and see interesting cars that the public have not seen.

B) Yes I have been in various conversations where the subject of future development and style direction have been discussed.

C) Yes I have seen in the metal many of the latest models way way before anything has been released to the public. Also because of the job I do, I have seen certain aspects of these cars that a high percentage of the employees on site have not seen.

I don't make this Censored up. But if certain people do not want to hear it, or simply refuse to believe for what ever reason, then I'll stop mentioning it. Thumbs Up Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #183531 10th May 2013 2:47 pm
Yanwoo

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Galway Green

...and out of personal interest, if you can share, what job is that? Smile FL2 2011 SD4 XS in Galway Green

Post #183533 10th May 2013 3:13 pm
Yanwoo

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Galway Green

Oh, and yes, please keep sharing your nuggets. I for one like to hear what you have to say. FL2 2011 SD4 XS in Galway Green

Post #183535 10th May 2013 3:15 pm
Boycey

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

Sorry if I've offended you, Mav. Not my intention at all.

Post #183538 10th May 2013 3:25 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 6 <123456>