Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Spotted a fat Evoque - Anyone want to guess what it is?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
richardk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Aintree Green

The 2015 FL2 will be the first of the LR new look for Land rover..so far we've only really seen Range Rover style...Land Rover will be something different. I feel the pasting of an Evoque front end on a FL2 has missed the point somewhat...they are two different brands. I suspect LR will remain more rugged and less camp than RR

Post #183062 6th May 2013 6:03 pm
j77

Scotland 

They will look different but the brands are no longer split, the new RRS has a green oval on the grill, rather than the black. Also on start up the screen between the dials on my Evoque says Range Rover, but on the Sport it has the LR logo. The emphasis is now focused on dual purpose/lifestyle/luxury, rather than a brand split.

The new Freelander will set the 'Lifestyle' image of LR, as the Evoque has done with the 'luxury' image, with the Defender replacement, in theory, setting the 'dual purpose' image.

This is just what I have picked up from various articles. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #183068 6th May 2013 6:31 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

As already said, this mule is not an Evoque, it is nothing. Just a botched up mule to test new running gear.

The styling will be vastly different from the current FL2 and will look nothing like an Evoque. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #183118 7th May 2013 6:58 am
big-al-cove

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Fuji White

with one of the replacement names being mentioned (Discovery Sport) i would think it will look like a Discovery

am i on the right track Mav or even further from the truth 1995 P38 now dead
2012 FL2 GS Fuji White
winter pack
arm rest pack

Post #183120 7th May 2013 8:02 am
Dartman the one

England 

Looks too much like a Hyundai or Kia to me don't want to go down that design route, i thought the attraction of the LR/RR design was careful interpretation of classic style and functionality. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #183122 7th May 2013 8:55 am
Boycey

England 2013 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

Powertrain and 'running gear' is usually tested under a bog standard existing body shell, so these road-going camera-camouflaged testers are never 'nothing' . The development cycle suggests FL3, and at least gives us some idea of size.

Given the different 5 or 7 seat options it'll likely be the rear quarter that maybe is most dramatic shift in style, but in very general terms I think the one thing we can be sure about is it will mirror Evoque. All the new designs since have to some degree had the same 'design cues' with the sloping glass line and given where FL3 sits in the model line up, I can't see it being different.

Post #183144 7th May 2013 3:40 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

I think you might be reading too much into it. Sometimes an existing body simply doesn't fit the new running gear (e.g. if wheelbase, or overhangs are different), and then you'll see this kind of lash-up. It's too soon to see anything like the final FL3 design on the roads.

As for the design cues, all the cars we've seen them on so far have been Range Rovers. To date Land Rovers have looked quite different from Range Rovers, so the sloping roof, etc, may well not carry over to LR models. The LRs are, after all, supposed to be more practical, and load space requirements may dictate a squarer look.

I don't think we're close to knowing what the FL3 will look like yet.

Post #183153 7th May 2013 5:02 pm
j77

Scotland 

I think we are looking at 2014 before we start to see any clues as to it's design, at the moment it's just running gear being tested.

As time goes on the test mule will change as the vehicle evolves into the final product. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #183155 7th May 2013 5:43 pm
taztastic

England 

Just to throw the cat amongst the pigeons and stimulate some debate, this pic seems to fit with the Disco Sport tag, it is only a rendered image and purely fictional but has a certain appeal?

Post #183168 7th May 2013 7:00 pm
chrisr1806

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Looks like an RRS and D4 mixed together. Personally, I don't see the point in a Disco Sport. People who could afford a disco, but want something sportier would go for a RRS.

Post #183171 7th May 2013 7:17 pm
big-al-cove

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Fuji White

if thats the replacement i am getting a Evoque Rolling with laughter 1995 P38 now dead
2012 FL2 GS Fuji White
winter pack
arm rest pack

Post #183178 7th May 2013 7:49 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Boycey wrote:
Powertrain and 'running gear' is usually tested under a bog standard existing body shell, so these road-going camera-camouflaged testers are never 'nothing' . The development cycle suggests FL3, and at least gives us some idea of size.

Given the different 5 or 7 seat options it'll likely be the rear quarter that maybe is most dramatic shift in style, but in very general terms I think the one thing we can be sure about is it will mirror Evoque. All the new designs since have to some degree had the same 'design cues' with the sloping glass line and given where FL3 sits in the model line up, I can't see it being different.

This picture tells you nothing.

To put this into perspective, I saw the new Range Rover over 18 months ago and I saw the new Range Rover Sport about 10 months ago.

As we know now, these mock ups looked nothing like the finished article.

I can guarantee that the Freelander replacement will have no resemblance to the Evoque. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Last edited by Mav71 on 7th May 2013 10:18 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #183183 7th May 2013 8:20 pm
chrisr1806

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Thank God for that! Whistle

Post #183185 7th May 2013 8:48 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Mav71 wrote:

The styling will be vastly different from the current FL2 and will look nothing like an Evoque.

It's quite possible you may have to eventually eat your words Whistle Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #183188 7th May 2013 9:01 pm
j77

Scotland 

I agree with Mav. The new car will be completely different from the out going model, it will share technology with the Evoque but won't share styling. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #183189 7th May 2013 9:06 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 6 <123456>