Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Auxillary belt shredding
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 9 <123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
little jimmy

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Ladies and gentlemen. The car is running. I have scanned it with a Thinkcar thinkscan + series 4.
I have no codes.....
I only left it running for about 60 seconds, as I have not fitted the aux belt, and didn't want to run the battery down.
I will fit the aux belt in the morning.... Rain , rain, stay away.
What should I be looking for after I have done that ? gentle drive ?
I don't believe I will have got away with no damage, so would be grateful for some pointers as to where/what to look for next.
Thanks again folks

Post #442309 4th Jun 2024 6:45 pm
Boxa

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Barolo Black

Yipeeeeee and well done πŸ‘πŸ» does it sound ok is it ticking over evenly, best thing is to fit it all together check fluids and drive it πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

Post #442311 4th Jun 2024 7:12 pm
little jimmy

To be honest it sounds fine. Perhaps a bit quieter. Perhaps thats the new throttle body. The old one was very gunked up.
I will stick the aux belt on tomorrow, and take it for a gentle drive.
Thanks for all your help. Please keep watching the post folks. I will report back tomorrow.

Post #442312 4th Jun 2024 7:17 pm
Boxa

it will probably run and sound a lot better than before as you have now set the timing perfectly and a new TB will also help it to run better, I bet you was Dancing when it started up Very Happy give yourself a pat on the back a lot off people give up and put it into a garage and spend a fortune on parts that are not needed, by doing it yourself you know its done right and not thrown together by someone that doesn't really care about it, you'll sleep like a Baby tonight but ill bet your up early to get it on a drive lol

Post #442314 4th Jun 2024 7:29 pm
little jimmy

Thanks Boxa. I will keep you posted. To be honest, I have enjoyed it. Been a long time since I used to do a bit of mucking about with cars.
The last One I mucked about with was a Mk5 cortina. It was about 1979, and had high millage, and no services. I had it bored out to 2.2 litre. Racing cam. 4 webber carbs, One per cylinder. Electronic Ignition.
If I pulled away quickly, and dropped the clutch, I used to snap the half shafts. (Did that twice in a year)
Oh to be young again..... After the last few days, I have got plenty of aches, but a fair bit of satisfaction.

Post #442318 4th Jun 2024 8:28 pm
Boxa

modern engines are far more complex and diagnostic equipment is a must have tool nowadays, considering you haven't worked on engines for so long and managed to do your freelander is impressive owning a freelander is great but you really need to do your own maintenance and repairs and get to know you car otherwise garage cost can run away it sounds like you've now found a new hobby lol once again WELL DONE ! Bow down

Post #442320 4th Jun 2024 8:37 pm
little jimmy

I don't plan on trying to shoehorn a v12 in the Freelander yet. Hopefully though, I can get this One running well again. Be interesting tomorrow once I get the aux belt on.

Post #442321 4th Jun 2024 9:06 pm
little jimmy

The scan tool I'm using seems pretty handy. I believe it also does live data. Not that I would know how to understand any of that Laughing

Post #442322 4th Jun 2024 9:08 pm
robblue

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

well done that man Thumbs Up 2009 FL2 S now gone
2011 FL2 HSE AUTO
2012 FL2 XS AUTO
2000 Kawasaki er 5

Post #442324 5th Jun 2024 7:50 am
Badger51

Australia 

Glad to hear you got it running🀞. (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #442325 5th Jun 2024 9:57 am
Dave47

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Izmir Blue

Result, well done sir. Thumbs Up DAVE.

Post #442331 5th Jun 2024 11:49 am
little jimmy

Thanks all Very Happy
Ok good folks. I have just taken the car out for a drive. I was feeling brave. I only went about a mile around the block. I trashed it. Took it up to a good Sixty mph. It drove like a train. No rattles from the engine. No metallic sounding broken rocker sounding bits ? I'm a bit stumped.

If you wouldn't mind could I ask you to give some thought to the following please.
Driving at 40mph, car died.
Would not restart.
AA called, and he spotted that the Aux belt was starting to shread. He said he would not touch it. He did not scan it for codes. Simply towed me home.
I could see that the aux belt was starting to shread, and that the tensioner was starting to fall apart, but still intact.
I bought a new belt and tensioner, and when I took the old one off I could see that some of the shredded belt had got behind the crankshaft pulley. I removed the pulley using my old timers method which I now know not to ever do again. Censored after taking off the pulley and the ring behind, I unthreaded the bits of aux belt. At this stage I have to say that the timing belt looked fine.
Because I didn't want the crank sensor to get damaged I took it off and saw that it was Censored
I got a new one Β£25 put the ring back on and put the pulley back on using my never doing again method.
I got a new throttle body, as the old One had stripped teeth, and was gunked up badly.
I then thought, having been advised on this site, that I might have messed up the timing, and caused damage.
I don't have the flywheel locking job (I will now get One) so I used a couple of 8mm drill bits. When I tried to line up the camshaft, and crankshaft holes, I couldn't. So I stated on here that I had messed up the timing.
So basically, I took off the timing belt, and rotated the cam, and crank, until I could get both pins in. Once I had done that I fitted the timing belt and tensioner. I removed the drill pins, and the car started.
It sounded ok.
I fitted the new aux belt, engine cover, and battery cover. Got brave, and took the car for a drive. It pulled like a train. No strange noises !

Now what do I think has gone on ?
I think the shredding belt damaged the crank sensor, and stopped the car.
I think that perhaps I got away with undoing the crank pulley without locking everything up, because the timing belt was still fitted, and tensioned, and therefore the cam and crank were kept in time by the belt.
(don't ever use my method of undoing the crank pulley, unless you want some sleepless nights)
I changed the throttle body. No harm done, as the old One had stripped teeth, and was gunked up badly. I'm hoping that the new One will improve MPG.
I think the reason that I stated that the timing was out, was because the pins would not go in. I suspect that was because I was 180 degrees out, and the engine needed another revolution.
The car now pulls like a train, and seems really responsive, with no strange noises.
I have always called myself lucky Jim. I think I got away with it this time.......

Is there anything I could do to check? should I have a compression test done to confirm? Would I hear strange noises if I had busted rockers?

Cheers again for all the help, advice, and encouragement. This really is a great resource for Freelander owners.

Your thoughts Ladies and gentlemen
Kind regards. Jim

Post #442334 5th Jun 2024 1:47 pm
SYFL2

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Hmmm ok Jim I think you should remove the engine check the washer bottle fluid level top up with screen wash neat not diluted winter is coming John Snow then refit the engine. Should be ok after that 😎

Post #442335 5th Jun 2024 2:22 pm
Boxa

My theory is the aux belt trashed the CPS and you may have slipped the timing removing the crank pulley the TB was probably worn out a long time ago but you didn’t notice it until you scanned it, As for the engine if it’s running ok then it’s ok if there was valve or rocker damage it would run unevenly and be very noticeable
I did say in the beginning that it was probably something simple and fortunately everything is ok now πŸ‘πŸ»

Post #442336 5th Jun 2024 2:35 pm
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

little jimmy wrote:
To be honest it sounds fine. Perhaps a bit quieter. Perhaps thats the new throttle body. The old one was very gunked up.
I will stick the aux belt on tomorrow, and take it for a gentle drive.
Thanks for all your help. Please keep watching the post folks. I will report back tomorrow.

Well done.
If you've bent valves or rockers, then you'll here the sound of tappets.
No tappets probably means no damage to the valve train. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate. The replacement for the SE.
2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Almost sold.
2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE. Gone.

Post #442337 5th Jun 2024 2:56 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 8 of 9 <123456789>