Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Things we spend our money on.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue
Things we spend our money on.

I was thinking the other day how odd that we (ie people in general) are prepared to spend money on fancy wheels, the latest iPhone (only £30+ a month!), updates to our cars, fancy oversized TV screens etc rather than make a donation to something like Cancer Research or similar which will be much more beneficial to us in the long run. Funny old world.... 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #295934 9th Apr 2016 7:12 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

We have a monthly standing order for cancer research (£18 ) and St Francis hospice (£3) and have done for as long as I can remember. Not much, but regular and every little helps. We also strongly support a charity set up and run by our Sister-in-Law on behalf of our niece, Emily, who passed away at a very young age. http://port-charity.org.uk Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Last edited by Steve D on 9th Apr 2016 7:50 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #295939 9th Apr 2016 7:46 pm
Mikey

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

If the Directors of these charities were not being paid so much, I expect more people would be willing to donate...

Quote:
Nine executives at Cancer Research UK earn more than the Prime Minister, including chief executive Harpal Kumar, who pockets up to £240,000 a year.

Peter Wanless, CEO of the NSPCC, earns a staggering £162,000 per year – £40,000 more than his predecessor Andrew Flanagan.

Other high earners include Amnesty International's Salil Shetty, who pockets a salary of up to £210,000, and Tom Wright of Age UK, who earns up to £190,000 a year.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/582911/ch...live-Cooke

Post #295940 9th Apr 2016 7:50 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Steve D

United Kingdom 

I didn't think Directors of charities can receive wages. Employees can but directors/trustees or whatever they are called can only claim expenses. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto

Post #295941 9th Apr 2016 7:54 pm
j77

Scotland 

Cancer research spend a large portion of their donations on staff wages. I'll put money in their buckets/tins if they are collecting.

I give to countless charities through various sponsorships in the work place, walks, runs etc £1 a week comes of my wages for Macmillan, £8/month to dogs trust and £5/month to the retired greyhound trust. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #295946 9th Apr 2016 8:23 pm
dorsetfreelander

Actually I have just stopped my Cancer Research UK direct debit as I saw that the CEO is on £240K and I also had an email saying that they were doing cancer support services and helplines - which is not what I thought I was donating for. I am currently looking at sending a regular donation to specific Cancer Research group. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #295952 9th Apr 2016 8:40 pm
alpacaman

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

Steve D wrote:
I didn't think Directors of charities can receive wages. Employees can but directors/trustees or whatever they are called can only claim expenses.

You're correct about Trustees (I have been one), but the chief executive and other senior management (certainly of larger charities) *are* employees and are salaried. Charities don't really have directors like companies do (although they often have trading arms which look after trading activities like shops, mail order, christmas cards, etc., which are limited companies, and some of the Trustees may be directors of those).

Having served as a Trustee and SWMBO having worked as a senior fundraiser for many large charities (Barnardo's, Cancer Research, etc.) as well as small ones, I will only now give to small charities and only then once I have reviewed their annual reports (all publicly available on the Charity Commission) to see what percentage of their income is voluntary, and how much of that voluntary income goes directly towards their charitable aims and operations.

Post #295959 9th Apr 2016 9:29 pm
yorkshirepudding

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Mikey wrote:
If the Directors of these charities were not being paid so much, I expect more people would be willing to donate...

Quote:
Nine executives at Cancer Research UK earn more than the Prime Minister, including chief executive Harpal Kumar, who pockets up to £240,000 a year.

Peter Wanless, CEO of the NSPCC, earns a staggering £162,000 per year – £40,000 more than his predecessor Andrew Flanagan.

Other high earners include Amnesty International's Salil Shetty, who pockets a salary of up to £210,000, and Tom Wright of Age UK, who earns up to £190,000 a year.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/582911/ch...live-Cooke

I wouldn't believe a word that rag says, it's barely better than the tripe the Daily Mail turns out. However it always amazes me how we expect public/voluntary sector organisations to be run efficiently but begrudge them paying competitive salaries. Rather than worry too much about the salaries of those at the top I'm more bothered about the good work they do and that is why I won't donate to Macmillan or the RSPCA as my personal experience has been woeful. Whereas the local hospice does outstanding work. If I found out those at the top of my chosen charities had investments in a secret Panamanian company that would be a different matter.

Post #295966 9th Apr 2016 11:12 pm
dorsetfreelander

I used to donate to one of the "sponsor a child" charities in Africa. Part of their website talked about drought and famine in Zambia. Then when my son worked in Zambia and often traveled in remote parts he came back saying that he hadn't seen any drought at all (it rains for 6 months of the year) and certainly no famine (although people were not well fed). I wrote to them and challenged what was on the website and they changed it. Made me suspicious of everything they did and a couple of other things came up so I stopped donating. I think the thing is to find charities who actually deliver or do what they say without branching out into other (sometimes political) areas. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #295967 9th Apr 2016 11:25 pm
EYorkshire

Some would deem it offensive that you have 'generalised' us, where is your evidence that people who spend money on fancy wheels and iPhones etc do not not donate to charities. I'm not exactly into modding my car but do have Evoque wheels plus I have my 'favourite' charities, that are local to me including animal charities.

Most probable that some neither donate nor 'mod' or some do one or the other, then again some may do both. I don't know but then neither do you.

Post #295978 10th Apr 2016 9:13 am
Badger51

Australia 

Sorry dorset but I have to totally agree with EYorkshires post.

You have absolutely no idea of what other people do with their money.

Personally, I've worked all my life & still do (I'm 64) & I don't think I'll ever be able to not work in some way or another (health permitting), even if only for a few days a week.

I spend my money as & when I like & on what I like or want/need.

I do not make regular monthly payments to any sort of charity because we never know how that money gets spent, or even if it ever gets to where it's supposed to.

Any door knockers get short shift as well.

If I want to donate to any charity, I will decide which ones & how much I will give them.

I will not be held to ransom by charities that insist on a monthly direct debit of a minimum amount. If what I offer/can afford is less than their minimum, then they get nothing & thereby miss out altogether.

Rant over, sorry! (Now Sold). 2008 Freelander 2 (Nazca Sand) SE TD4 Auto. Statutory write off & on WOVR for hail damage but still road legal.
171037Km as of 09/05/22
Superchips Bluefin Flash
Nanocom Evo II (also sold)

Post #295979 10th Apr 2016 9:33 am
dorsetfreelander

I am not having a a go at anyone here, you can spend your money on what you like. My original point was that people (myself included) are happy to spend some of their money on toys and trinkets rather than spend that money on medical research that could ultimately help them.
When you are on your death bed and thinking " I wish I had spent more time in the office" you might also be thinking "if the cancer people had got that electron microscope earlier they might have worked out a cure for what I've got now"

Happy Sunday. Very Happy 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #295980 10th Apr 2016 9:57 am
Steve D

United Kingdom 
Re: Things we spend our money on.

dorsetfreelander wrote:
I was thinking the other day how odd that we (ie people in general) are prepared to spend money on fancy wheels, the latest iPhone (only £30+ a month!), updates to our cars, fancy oversized TV screens etc rather than make a donation to something like Cancer Research or similar which will be much more beneficial to us in the long run. Funny old world....

Thing is, you could say that about everything. For example, when buying your car or house, why didn't you buy one for half as much and put the rest to good use? Going on holiday this year? While people in the world are dying of thirst and hunger? Tut tut......and so on. Where do you stop? Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto

Post #295993 10th Apr 2016 1:40 pm
alpacaman

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

I agree. The reality is that for many of us it's not a case of "rather than" as the OP suggests, but of "as well as". We might well spend money on fancy wheels, the latest iPhone, etc. but that doesn't necessarily mean we don't also make donations to causes that we care about that might help others right now, or us or our families in the future. What bugs me more is those people who moan about not having enough money to pay their rent/mortgage, put food on the table for their families, etc. yet consider the latest mobiles, TVs and Sky as being "necessities" that they have to have.

Post #295994 10th Apr 2016 1:48 pm
j77

Scotland 

What gets me is these big charity events on TV, it used to be you gave what ever you could afford, now it's text to donate £5, £10, £20 etc.

I refuse to give money to 3rd world countries, the money could be going anywhere. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #295998 10th Apr 2016 3:16 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>