Total Votes: 147

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 40 of 93 <123 ... 394041 ... 919293>
Print this entire topic · 
DiscoGeorge

South Africa 

yamaha-fan wrote:
No DG, I will not.
I have started this thread to help interested readers and to share my experience with them.
I have no personal benefit from this thread; I earn no more money, nor do I increase my professional reputation as I (have to) write under pseudonym.
But what certain forum members have made out of this thread is -to put it mildly- unprofessional.
I have therefor decided not to participate in this forum any longer and I thank the moderators for their support.
All the best to everybody. And keep this thread in mind - you will be surprised in the time to come.

YF

YF

I fully concur with you. We both tried our best to pass information (in your case) and experience gained over more than three million kilometres driven (in my case).

Unfortunately there are some forum contributors who think that they are very clever. Unfortunately this does not aid the cause in the least. Foremost because it will confuse those forum members who have not got the relevant technical knowledge to disseminate the valid technical information from the nonsense made available in this thread.

I have also decided to withdraw from this forum, as it is most obvious that contributions which add value to the knowledge base of this forum are in many cases not welcome.

So guys keep on driving and don't use descriptive language, when those HPF pumps fail outside of warranty.

Good luck to you all! With kind regards
DiscoGeorge
1998 Disco1 ES 300Tdi with twin TrueTracs
2005 Disco3 TDV6 S
And some more serious stuff

Post #96479 25th Mar 2011 5:11 pm
razmabaz

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

kaanage wrote:

Now does anyone here know to google "diesel of questionable origin" in German?

Diesel von fragwürdiger Herkunft Freelander 1 TD4 HSE - gone, 2 weeks after the Cat.Converter!
Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto MY08 - Santorini black

Post #96481 25th Mar 2011 5:31 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Sorry that you both have felt it necessary to withdraw. YF, I have been sufficiently convinced by your arguments to use the 2-stroke oil myself, and I am satisfied with the result. However I don't think it's unreasonable that there has been an increasing clamour for PROOF. It seems bizarre that there should be (apparently) no published technical papers out there and although I'm grateful for all those pictures I'm not enough of a technician to be able to make anything of them. Without solid scientific proof then you are effectively just giving us your opinion/old wives' tales. I may choose to find some value in these, but I entirely (and increasingly) see the point of view of those who doubt. I think my next move will be to poll my contacts in the universities to see what they think. if I get anything positive I'll post it (with evidence). If not, well I'll know what to think.

Post #96516 25th Mar 2011 11:11 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I have been one who wanted the proof, but you can only ask for it so much, for whatever reason the proof isn't out there in a clear and understandable format, pictures mean nothing if your unable to compare.

Obviously the information is there for those that wish to save the engine.

So for those that have found it useful Thank you Yamaha Fan for the initial information, I'm sure it's helped plenty Thumbs Up

My final thought is it would have been great if the information you have seen could have been provided, but I appreciate your job prevented you from presenting this to the masses, if you could have at least it would have stopped me from asking for it Laughing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #96517 25th Mar 2011 11:23 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Snake oil from both of them. I know engineers who work with CR engines everyday. when I ask them about two stroke oil they look at me like I've lost the plot. At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #96525 26th Mar 2011 2:18 am
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

Shame the thread has gone like this Big Cry and with over 116,000 views - must be a record Thumbs Up 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #96529 26th Mar 2011 8:49 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

The thing with this thread it started going nowhere when they could not provide the data to back up what they was saying, then when it supposed to have been released then the manuals of the cars don't say anything about it

End of the day the information is still there so nothings changed Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #96531 26th Mar 2011 9:04 am
EYorkshire

Each to their own, those who believe a stranger who purports to be a lawyer who has official proof but cannot divulge it must make their own minds up. Thank you YF for the interesting but unfinished article.

DG, thankyou for posting interesting photos that showed us pieces of metal presumably out of some engine somewhere.

I have this 500ml of JASO FC 2SO in my garage awaiting the official stamp of approval from someone, someday.

Post #96542 26th Mar 2011 11:45 am
LR Fan

Australia 

npinks wrote:
The thing with this thread it started going nowhere when they could not provide the data to back up what they was saying, then when it supposed to have been released then the manuals of the cars don't say anything about it

End of the day the information is still there so nothings changed

The information may be still here but without the supporting evidence it's actually of little value and just adding to all the other open ended threads on the net.

I've followed the thread in the hope that YF and then DG would eventually produce factual documentation which I have not been able to find elsewhere.

I believe YF's intent and forum persona are probably genuine even though some of her postings in the various german forums can appear contradictory. However, I'm perplexed with the statement made here regarding "diesel fuel of unknown origin" in owners manuals which was easily checked and found untrue.

I note that YF drives new vehicles and changes them regularly. Why is long term wear an issue? DG appears to drive older vehicles not under warranty so I understand his concerns.

DG failed to come through with the promise of meaningful photographic evidence. Below is a link to a report which is more along the lines of what I'd expect as a minimum.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/fuels/gasoline/meeting/2003/022003bosch.pdf

There is no doubt in my mind that 2T oil increases the lubricity of diesel. However what is not known is whether this is at the expense of some undesirable side effect. None appear to have been reported, but that does not mean there aren't any now or may be in the future.

The crux of the matter is that if you have been using a non recommended fuel in your modern hi-tech diesel and subsequently turn up at a dealer under warranty with a fuel related issue you may be in for a costly surprise if it's discovered to be your fault. Maybe not really bad on a 4 cylinder but an 8 cylinder would be interesting. Even if you had supporting documentation, you'd still struggle.

I hope this thread can be kept alive as the information we seek is out there somewhere.

To that end, below are more links to further reading which some readers may not yet have seen. The Californian government site in particular contains a vast resource of technical information relating to research and standards for diesel fuels.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/diesel/diesel.htm

http://www.blacklandy.de/blboard/forum/showthread.php?t=13591 (Use Google translate)
http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=69378
http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=68220

Read these by all means but lets not get bogged down in the history and instead move on and continue the search for the hard fact.

Post #96564 26th Mar 2011 3:44 pm
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

one last word from me: you (happily) jump to conclusions!
I have never said that the fuel of unknown origin issue has been released in the owners manual.
I have said that it has been released in the HANDBOOK! With handbook I mean the special handbook for owners who intend to use their vehicles for safaris, world-tours, sahara excursions and the like. Those vehicles are specially equipped and a special handbook is provided - although the engines are still the same.
So be careful to claim that I am lying - verify my statement thouroghly before you jump to conclusions.

YF

Post #96572 26th Mar 2011 6:17 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the extra info Wink

Why you couldnt say that in the first place.,... Well you probably claim you couldn't Rolling Eyes Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #96577 26th Mar 2011 6:35 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Y-F - Welcome to the pitfalls of translation. I doubt whether there is any English speaker on the forum who would not equate "handbook" with "owner's manual". The two have exactly the same meaning in English. Again, it would be appreciated if you could provide the exact reference to the "handbooks" concerned - are they available online? Deutsche Ausgabe wäre kein Problem!

Post #96595 26th Mar 2011 11:47 pm
athelstan

YF

Why you simply cannot scan the relevant page of that "special handbook" and post it on here to prove your claim is beyond comprehension - unless of course you are making more poor excuses for the unravelling turmoil surrounding 2sO.

Post #96614 27th Mar 2011 11:13 am
LR Fan

Australia 

yamaha-fan wrote:
one last word from me: you (happily) jump to conclusions!

I don't know to whom the above may be directed but be assured that jumping to conclusions is not a personal trait.

When a language is not the first language of a person, native speakers allow a good amount of leeway in the interpretation applied. Indeed the opening post states that 2-stroke oil added to diesel will “grease every moving part of the high pressure pump and the injectors”. Technically 'grease' is not the correct word but the meaning was understood and no-one complained. I could go on to analyse “every moving part”.

Taken in the context of an ongoing technical motoring discussion, to plead that a handbook is different to a manual is barely credible. For clarification, using ‘Google Translate’, English words ‘handbook’ and ‘manual’ both produce the same German word ‘handbuch’. And conversely ‘handbuch’ translates to three possible English meanings, 1. manual, 2. guide, 3. handbook.

No-one has accused you of lying, but it is untrue, i.e. not in accordance with fact or reality; false or incorrect, that “The use of 2-T oil for "diesel fuel of unknown origin" is recommended by VW in the handbook for the Amarok, by MB in the handbook for the G-model.”

The recommendation may, or may not, be contained in another publication which you now call “the special handbook” but as yet this publication has not been sighted by the forum.

Semantics aside, if the special handbook, had been the original term used, then that could have been more readily interpreted as something other than the ‘normal’ handbook. It would be good to see the special handbook to read whether any caveats apply. However, it does sound like it is only valid for a niche market purpose and not a public everyday recommendation.

I’ll use the analogy of a space saver temporary spare wheel, only to be used if absolutely necessary, with limitations and warnings applied.

Post #96615 27th Mar 2011 11:16 am
cressus_66

Romania 

What's the general opinion about this:
http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/produkt...mp;land=DE ?
Seems to be something redundant. Or not?
Thanks! Life is very hard but...good news...she's running like hell

Post #99020 18th Apr 2011 12:52 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 40 of 93 <123 ... 394041 ... 919293>