« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > When can I tow?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Boxer

Wales 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

PaulC wrote:
I am not insulted at all by the anti-caravan jokes. I always tow my caravan as slowly as possible to show how concerned I am for safety. Helps with fuel mileage too and I know it doesn't upset anyone because everyone hoots at me as they pass and wave hello... strange how they all seem to only have one finger on their hands tho? Ah well... it obviously doesn't stop them from using their horns which is good.

Anyway, my dealer suggested 500 miles minimum but 1000 miles would be better.

Rolling with laughter Bow down Don't put petrol in a diesel. They don't run well.

Post #94893 11th Mar 2011 7:40 pm
decho

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Firenze Red

I thought I had detected some anti-caravan comments on this forum, which is a shame - I dont mind the jokes but what I say is 'Dont mock it until you have tried it, you might be surprised'. I like many good caravanners never hold up anyone on the road always keeping a good pace, and allowing others (usually breaking the speed limit) to pass. This is the reason I am swapping my trusty 3.0 V6 Vx Signum for a Freelander2 SD4 which has about the same level of power and torque to ensure I can keep pace safely on the road. It will make a fantastic towcar, which is why I am buying one! This plus the Landrover deal of paying 50% now and 50% in 2 years interest free - I cant wait to get it on the road and annoy you all! Wink

Post #94898 11th Mar 2011 8:11 pm
dunroof

Not a bad deal, but it's unfortunate you have to pay the other half in 24 months!

Post #94901 11th Mar 2011 8:29 pm
decho

Money's better in my pocket then Landrovers. £11k(balance) for 2 years at 3% is £600+. Plus all the extras I squeezed out of dealer, I think I got quite a good deal all in all - I am happy anyway! Smile I think it looks really smart in Lago Grey.

Post #94907 11th Mar 2011 8:38 pm
shilen

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

decho wrote:
but what I say is 'Dont mock it until you have tried it, you might be surprised'.

If we all club together we could buy CG a caravan although on second thoughts I dont think he would tow it. Whistle

I love caravans but only statics, its been many years since I was in a touring caravan and didnt like the idea of having build my bed every night and having to walk half a mile to take a dump Laughing

Post #94922 11th Mar 2011 11:07 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

shilen wrote:
having to walk half a mile to take a dump Laughing

doesnt your manservant do that for you? At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #94941 12th Mar 2011 9:24 am
decho

shilen wrote:
decho wrote:
but what I say is 'Dont mock it until you have tried it, you might be surprised'.

If we all club together we could buy CG a caravan although on second thoughts I dont think he would tow it. Whistle

I love caravans but only statics, its been many years since I was in a touring caravan and didnt like the idea of having build my bed every night and having to walk half a mile to take a dump Laughing

We arrive on site after a relaxing drive thanks to my new Freelander2 and the the anti-snaking device and stability control system on my caravan
We dont have to worry about reversing onto the pitch as my van has its own powered mover fitted, enabling me to get it positioned exactly where I want without any stress.
We connect up to the eletricity, water and turn the gas on and within 15 minutes we are sitting outside with a refreshing G&T(with ice thanks to the fridge/frezzer fitted to my van)
We setup the BBQ and get the steaks on
A bottle of wine and a couple of Balvennie Malts later and we fall into the sumptous and comfortable double fixed bed(I haven't built a bed in years!)
In the morning we wake up to a nice cosy caravan thanks to the automatically controlled central heating.
We pull back the blind in the panoramic sunroof and look up to the beautiful clear blue sky(when its not raining that is!)
We sit with a nice cuppa and enjoy a bit of morning TV on the intergrated TV
We can then shower in the superb bathroom at the back of the van which has a seperate shower enclosure.
We enjoy a relaxing breakfast cooked on fitted cooker, looking out onto the countryside with music playing on the integrated stereo system.
We spend our break walking, cycling, golfing and exploring this fabulous country of ours.
At the end of our break, we arrive home totally relaxed - we dont have to worry about airport delays, flight cancellations, Spanish Air Traffic Controllers Strikes, Uprisings, Ash Clouds or anything else.

No, caravans aren't what they use to be.....I rest my case!
[/quote]

Post #94944 12th Mar 2011 10:07 am
EYorkshire

Now if CG hasn't an answer to this beautiful description to the joys of caravanning, I will be surprised. Laughing

Post #94946 12th Mar 2011 10:40 am
chicken george

you missed out the bit about buying the van, storing the van, insuring the van, cleaning the van stocking up the cupboards, preparing the thunderbox, fitting the sheets on the beds airing the duvets, checking tyres brakes etc hitching on , planing a van friendly route, the long long slow drive find it difficult to stop off en route due to the white box behind, having to turn round on a small road when you cant find the van site, not being able to park it on a pitch with a view, having van neighbours from hell, running out of gas mid way thru cooking,not cooking bacon as it makes the bedding smell, hitching back on, fitting all the stuff back in the little cupboards, what to do with the awning as its raining so you cant roll it up, towing it all the way home, cleaning it,washing repacking all the bedding, trying to dry the awning (its still wet and starting to smell). parking the van, watching the birds crap all over its roof, washing it again, apologising to neighbours as its blocking their view and you accidentally drove on their lawn whilst reversing it back onto your drive.

My mate thought he loved vanning until his wife threw her hog out and refused to van anymore, turns out all he ever did was tow it to the site and build the awning. she did all the pre holiday preparations and post holiday cleandowns. all this led her to dread any vanning trips as they where no longer a holiday

Apart from that Britain is a great place to holiday, foreign trip are great too but as you said you are at the mercy of airlines ferries etc. Yet a breakdown out on a UK motorway could be just as frustrating as several hours stranded in Charles de Gaulle.

Personally I enjoy staying in holiday cottages, each one is different with new good points/bad points every year. and using them really is a simple as carrying the suitcase and a box of groceries through the door. And if its a good distance from home the journey can be broken by a pleasant stay in a hotel en route normally in a nice town/area that can be explored as a side trip to the holiday.

Use a van by all means but, I'm sure your aware vaner baiting is not new and is not unique to this forum. And I'm not all bad I've been known to break bread ( scones actually) with vaners in the not too distant past. even though one of them refused to dine with me Laughing

The post above is all the fault of Mr E.Yorks as he dared me Whistle At work
At home

Post #94951 12th Mar 2011 12:05 pm
Boxer

Wales 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

chicken george wrote:
, preparing the thunder box

The post above is all the fault of Mr E.Yorks as he dared me Whistle

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Bow down Bow down Don't put petrol in a diesel. They don't run well.

Post #94952 12th Mar 2011 12:33 pm
taztastic

England 

This arrived on my neighbours drive overnight, what in the name of bloody hell is it?

Their house is empty and some git is using their drive for this monstrosity Evil or Very Mad

Click image to enlarge

Paul

Post #94953 12th Mar 2011 12:34 pm
decho

taztastic wrote:
This arrived on my neighbours drive overnight, what in the name of bloody hell is it?

Their house is empty and some git is using their drive for this monstrosity Evil or Very Mad

Click image to enlarge

Paul

An eyesore! Check your title deeds...chances are you are not allowed to park a van in your driveway.
This is just the sort of inconsiderate behaviour that gives vanners a bad name.

Post #94959 12th Mar 2011 1:13 pm
chicken george

I cant believe that's your drive there is no oilly patch where the Land rover normally parks At work
At home

Post #94962 12th Mar 2011 1:53 pm
Lookers Park Royal

1STFREELANDER wrote:
I think any vehicle requires a running in period, at least 200miles for brakes and tyres and 500/1000 for the engine. I know modern engines are machined better that they used to be but They still require running in before being loaded and I think the handbook still advises this.

Spot On!!!!

Brakes are the biggie. This also applies to towing when bedding in new brakes when they are changed for maintenance later in the vehicles life.

Keep an eye on the oil as they can use a drop more when they are new depending on the style of driving.

James Thumbs Up

Post #94964 12th Mar 2011 2:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ad210358

England 

chicken george wrote:
you missed out the bit about buying the van, storing the van, insuring the van, cleaning the van stocking up the cupboards, preparing the thunderbox, fitting the sheets on the beds airing the duvets, checking tyres brakes etc hitching on , planing a van friendly route, the long long slow drive find it difficult to stop off en route due to the white box behind, having to turn round on a small road when you cant find the van site, not being able to park it on a pitch with a view, having van neighbours from hell, running out of gas mid way thru cooking,not cooking bacon as it makes the bedding smell, hitching back on, fitting all the stuff back in the little cupboards, what to do with the awning as its raining so you cant roll it up, towing it all the way home, cleaning it,washing repacking all the bedding, trying to dry the awning (its still wet and starting to smell). parking the van, watching the birds crap all over its roof, washing it again, apologising to neighbours as its blocking their view and you accidentally drove on their lawn whilst reversing it back onto your drive.

My mate thought he loved vanning until his wife threw her hog out and refused to van anymore, turns out all he ever did was tow it to the site and build the awning. she did all the pre holiday preparations and post holiday cleandowns. all this led her to dread any vanning trips as they where no longer a holiday

Apart from that Britain is a great place to holiday, foreign trip are great too but as you said you are at the mercy of airlines ferries etc. Yet a breakdown out on a UK motorway could be just as frustrating as several hours stranded in Charles de Gaulle.

Personally I enjoy staying in holiday cottages, each one is different with new good points/bad points every year. and using them really is a simple as carrying the suitcase and a box of groceries through the door. And if its a good distance from home the journey can be broken by a pleasant stay in a hotel en route normally in a nice town/area that can be explored as a side trip to the holiday.

Use a van by all means but, I'm sure your aware vaner baiting is not new and is not unique to this forum. And I'm not all bad I've been known to break bread ( scones actually) with vaners in the not too distant past. even though one of them refused to dine with me Laughing

The post above is all the fault of Mr E.Yorks as he dared me Whistle

Clearly posted by someone who has not got a clue Thud p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #94966 12th Mar 2011 3:27 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>