51%
 51%  [75]
Total Votes: 147

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 23 of 93 <123 ... 222324 ... 919293>
Print this entire topic · 
andrewprd

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

I thought I would report my findings so far on adding 200:1 two stoke in petrol mix.

I have run two complete tanks through with the mix and found:-

No noise reduction. The engine is definately no quieter and if anything more noiser when cold. (This was the main reasin for trying the mix). I bought my 2 yr old FL2 HSE secondhand, three months ago. Despite being told there is nothing wrong I think this diesel engine is very noisy compared with VW or BMW. A big disappointment.

Secondly, I have not noticed any improvement in performance and now noticed a lag in pick up when accelerating.

Finally, absolutely no improvement in fuel consumption.

My first tank I used two stroke from Halfords. The second tank I bought Esso extra two stoke. No difference.

Back to using straight deisel I think?

Post #72365 19th Jul 2010 9:09 pm
ou toppie

South Africa 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Stornoway Grey

Good day YF.
i have been reading this thread with great interest and would be very interested in your comments regarding the following.
Here in SA we have 2 available grades of diesel. 1- 500ppm sulphur and 1- 50 ppm sulphur.
Having worked for Caterpillar for more years than I care to remember, we were always aware of the consequen ces of heavy diesels utilising high sulphur content fuel,even 35 years ago, and always advocated halving the oil change period under such conditions. We have now arrived at a situation whereby too little sulphur is creating problems with lack of lubrication ( even if the manufacturers have yet to acknowledge the problem )
If you were running a diesel powered vehicle here in SA which option would you go for? the 500ppm and halve the oil change period or the 50ppm and add the 2stroke mix.
I suppose my real question is, is the 500ppm diesel giving sufficient lubricant?
I look forward with interest to any comments you have. Bow down

Post #72932 28th Jul 2010 5:39 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Bear in mind YF only pops in when she's not driving her Merc so it can be a little delay in reply Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #72934 28th Jul 2010 5:44 pm
ou toppie

South Africa 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Stornoway Grey

Understood. Thanks Thumbs Up

Post #72989 29th Jul 2010 4:57 pm
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Besides the positive impact on pollution-control, I would choose the low sulphor diesel PLUS recommended dosis of proper 2-T oil. In the sum of its effects this combination is the "better" fuel, as sulphor has negative effects on the motor oil and cleanliness of the engine in general.

YF

Post #73253 3rd Aug 2010 2:19 pm
yamaha-fan

To all interested: besides driving my Mercedes GLK 320 cdi Automatic with adding 2-T oil from day one, I now also test-drive for three months a 2010 facelift-model Nissan Qashqai dCi 2,0 litre Tecna Automatic in Titanium metallic. Adding 2-T oil here from day one is a "MUST" (although not "approved" by Nissan), and I will report my findings from time to time. Funny enough, it seems that I prefer the Qashqai over the GLK, as the Qashqai is much more compact and easier in the City. Acceleration, riding comfort, engine noise, suspension etc. is more or less equal to the GLK, so I am very surprised of the qualities of the Qashqai (made in UK), besides the huge price differerence over the GLK.

YF

Post #73254 3rd Aug 2010 2:38 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

YF,

Do you have any official documents/evidence to support your claim Question ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #73269 3rd Aug 2010 6:58 pm
yamaha-fan

Yes, I have. But I am not authorized to make them public. Read the technical publication from Prof. Dr. Mayering: Fuels and additives.

YF

Post #73334 4th Aug 2010 1:02 pm
alex_pescaru

yamaha-fan wrote:
Yes, I have. But I am not authorized to make them public.

Why?
Is this such a secret? Because people knows and are adding 2T to diesel for such a long time now...

Even biodiesel is a kinda burning oil (mono-alkyl ester). And more and more the biodiesel is mixed with low sulfur diesel.
Biodiesel has better lubricating properties and much higher cetane ratings than today's lower sulfur diesel fuels. Biodiesel addition reduces fuel system wear, and in low levels in high pressure systems increases the life of the fuel injection equipment that relies on the fuel for its lubrication. Depending on the engine, this might include high pressure injection pumps, pump injectors (also called unit injectors) and fuel injectors.
Source: Wikipedia.
For example, in my country the biodiesel is mixed with low sulfur diesel in 5% ratio (B5) at fuel stations. And it helps lubrication almost as 2T oil...

So, in the end, why the secrecy, when alternatives are appearing at the horizon, because it isn't such a rocket science...

Post #73366 4th Aug 2010 5:02 pm
Atrix

Latvia 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Lago Grey

Concerning the bio-diesel it is good to know that it is "healthy" for the fuel system. But another question mark is biodiesel's winter-characteristics. I am not sure that viscosity thresh-hold would be the same compared to the "normal" diesel. Especially, if we got a harsh one like the last winter Wink

Post #73379 4th Aug 2010 6:52 pm
athelstan

If I understand YF's status correctly, as a "Rechtsanwältin" (female Lawyer) in Germany working directly or indirectly in the oil industry it is most probably incumbent upon her that she discharges her client duties under binding non-disclosure agreements.

I sense that her disclosures here to date are as such limited by her official remits, and not by any limitation in her knowledge or by any desire to deceive. I believe her actions/posts are entirely in good faith.

Post #73381 4th Aug 2010 6:57 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

I don't doubt her finding posted Thumbs Up she is obviously very knowledgable in the field of 2T oil Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #73382 4th Aug 2010 7:03 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

What I can't understand is that someone (in this case YF) joins a forum, makes a claim about something and nobody questions it.

As far as I am concerened, it is bullshit unless evidence can be supplied to verify the claim.

Do people on here really believe all that they read in newspapers, probably not, so why believe something typed on a web forum Question

just my 2p worth. ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #73388 4th Aug 2010 8:38 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i know what your saying, but plenty of people seem to benefit from the additional time spent pouring other stuff than diesel into there tanks, i suppose like most things the very 1st every person to think of adding 2T was taking a risk Confused

apparently adding Tomato Ketchup into your power steering reservoir will make your car corner like its on rails Whistle Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #73391 4th Aug 2010 9:18 pm
Atrix

Latvia 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Lago Grey

I am one of those benefiting from YF advice. And I am very thankful to her for the time and energy invested in this and similar threads on 2-t-oil. 12 000 km on the clock of my FL and every fuel tank with a good dose of 2-t-oil. Thus, it is up to you: take it or leave it Wink

Post #73394 4th Aug 2010 9:27 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 23 of 93 <123 ... 222324 ... 919293>