51%
 51%  [75]
Total Votes: 147

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 22 of 93 <123 ... 212223 ... 919293>
Print this entire topic · 
engchamp

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

Just to reinforce YF's views, it is important that the high pressure fuel pump on a "common rail" (CR) diesel engine is lubricated, in order that it maintains a constant fuel injection release pressure; by this I mean the plunger, and its sliding contact with the barrel/cylinder needs to be lubricated. Diesel fuel is not as good as in the past, due to the current reduced sulphur content, which acted as a lubricant. On some expensive, and perhaps larger engines, where the high pressure CR fuel pump is a lot bigger than on car engines, the fuel pump cylinder may be made of a ceramic material, and the plunger of a good quality alloy steel. Most auto manufacturers are reluctant to use this advantage, as it is very expensive. Having said that, I am not sure what is used in the manufacture of the FL2 engine CR fuel pump. What I am sure of, is that my particular FL2's engine has been on the go for over 43k miles, using a 200:1 2T oil at every fuel refill, with excellent results.

What I am also sure about, is that if the fuel injection pressure deteriorates because of wear between the CR pump plunger and barrel, then expensive problems will result.

Post #64903 28th Mar 2010 1:03 am
Boxer

Wales 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

Guys,
did not want to tell you untill i was sure, but i tried this again, this time success. Thumbs Up
I really believe that when i filled the car from half a tank last time i used petrol not diesel. Big Cry
YF, sorry i doubted you. Bow down Don't put petrol in a diesel. They don't run well.

Post #64955 28th Mar 2010 6:04 pm
gumdrop

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Ok - I've trawled through all the posts on this topic ... question for those who have gone down this route in the UK - what 2T oil (brand) and where from to get the best deal? Cheers
Gumdrop aka Simon !
-------------------------------------------------
F2 HSE, auto, roof rails, steps, santorini black
Defender 50th
F1 1999, Commercial
Series 1 (1958)
Rebel Replica Series 1

Post #64982 28th Mar 2010 11:03 pm
Oldie

Scotland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Stornoway Grey

Added 2 stroke oil at last fill-up to my 07 GS (43,000). I now no longer have exhaust smoke at start up and also a huge improvement in acceleration, really noticeable in 2nd and 3td. Crusing in 6th gear is now smoother when running below the 2000 rpm band which, previously, had been a bit laboured. I'm impressed Very Happy

Post #68625 16th May 2010 12:42 pm
Oldie

Ahhh, the smoke has returned...don't know why Sad Not much, but a few puffs when starting up first thing this morning. Will have to monitor this.

Post #68648 17th May 2010 2:13 pm
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Oldie, a little smoke ist normal as the added 2-T oil will clean the soot deposits within the engine. This will reduce near zero after some time. 2-T oil will in general reduce the production of soot, proven by the reduced clauding factor of the exhaust fumes.

YF

Post #68940 21st May 2010 3:55 pm
Oldie

YF - looks like the smoke has now gone Very Happy Car drives very well. Thanks Cool

Post #69073 24th May 2010 10:49 am
markiec

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HST Auto Santorini Black
Another Thumbs Up

Thumbs Up to YF . . . . . toyed with trying this for a while now & finally gave it a go a couple of weeks ago. It really does make a difference . . . much quieter & smoother tho a minor hit on MPG for the first couple of tanks.

Someone asked where the best value 2T oil (YF relevent spec) could be found. Best deal I've found in the UK is Wilkinsons . . . costs £1.99 for 0.6L . . . . works out at a pound a tank . . . . Can anybody beat that?

MarkieC

Post #70157 7th Jun 2010 2:30 pm
andrewprd

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

About to give it a try but have some observations.

It has been reported that when people inadvertently put a very small about of petrol in a half full tank of diesel before realising and then filling with diesel there appears to have been no adverse effects. When this has happened claims of quieter and better performance similar to those circulating around the two stroke oil mix have been made.

However, petrol is as we all know a disaster in a diesel engine. The main effect, so I am told is petrol has a severe corrosive effect on the seals in a deisel engine. My question is - Does adding two stroke oil have similar long term detrimental effects on these seals?

Also, if this is such a safe and impressive additive (sorry addition). Why hasn't some company latched on to this and produced a commercial product based on the two stroke formula.

I respect the views of YF but would welcome some more comforting facts to confirm its safe long term use.
Regards

Post #70365 10th Jun 2010 2:51 pm
Graham

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

I can't believe what some people try!

Post #70499 12th Jun 2010 8:55 pm
andrewprd

Graham,

I'm sorry if my post was not clear.

I am definately not suggesting people are adding a small quantity of petrol. I've heard that when people add a small quantity [b]by mistake [/b]they report the same results as the adding of two stroke.
Petrol is a disaster for diesel, we all know that. I'm told that petrol rapidly degrades the seals in a diesel engine.
My question was:-
Does adding two stroke (Re: this thread) have a similar effect on the seals in a diesel engine, possibly slow long term damage?
Or is your amazement at me thinking of trying two stoke oil (again this thread)?
Regards,
AndrewPRD

Post #70514 13th Jun 2010 7:54 am
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Adding petrol to diesel fuel is under certain circumstances (extreme cold) up to a percentage of 10% acceptable.
However, petrol does not degrade seals or other internal parts but washes away the oil-film within the cylinder and prevents greasing of the high pressure injection pump. 2-T oil eliminates most of this, and, more important, increases the viscosity of diesel fuel in the winter. 2-T oil will in the recommended specification (Jaso FC) NOT damage or detoriate any seals or gaskets.

YF

Post #70989 23rd Jun 2010 3:37 pm
andrewprd

Thank you YF for that information. Of course treated as information only.

A decided a few days ago to try the T2 1:200.
My main reason was to try and quieten what I believe to be a noisy diesel on 2008 FL2 HSE. (Particularly when cold). I am told there is nothing wrong with the engine and this is well noted with this engine.

Early results after 150miles on the T2 mixture are not evident. Cannot detect any improvements reported by earlier members. May be it is a little early. I will be patient.

Regards
AndrewPRD

Post #71019 24th Jun 2010 11:26 am
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

andrewprd wrote:

Also, if this is such a safe and impressive additive (sorry addition). Why hasn't some company latched on to this and produced a commercial product based on the two stroke formula.

They have, Redex for one and a few other whom I forget now.

Personally I think its hogwash, had no problems with my FL2 in 2 1/2 years of ownership and no problems with the wife's either after nearly 3 years of ownership. I can't believe that adding such a small amount of 2 stroke oil would have the effect that others are claiming.

As they say in the real world "Bullshit Baffles the Brain". ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #71060 24th Jun 2010 9:18 pm
bilun777

England 

Dave wrote:
andrewprd wrote:

They have, Redex for one and a few other whom I forget now.

Personally I think its hogwash, had no problems with my FL2 in 2 1/2 years of ownership and no problems with the wife's either after nearly 3 years of ownership. I can't believe that adding such a small amount of 2 stroke oil would have the effect that others are claiming.

As they say in the real world "Bullshit Baffles the Brain".
Google millersoils their ecomax additive increases cetane number as well.[I used it in my puegeot 205 over 20 years ago.179000 miles in 4 years and it never missed a beat-all original injectors ,pump,etc]

Post #71526 5th Jul 2010 9:10 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 22 of 93 <123 ... 212223 ... 919293>