51%  [75]
Total Votes: 147

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 21 of 93 <123 ... 202122 ... 919293>
Print this entire topic · 
Alona

2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

yamaha-fan wrote:
330 milli litre of 2-T oil added to 60 litre of diesel fuel will not colour the diesel red. Besides this, the red colour of tax free or tax reduced diesel has a totally different chemical consistence as the red colour of 2-T oil.
To avoid all doubts just keep your cash receipt from your last petrol station and you will be on the safe side.

YF

Said all of this YF. Red on dipping is red. But on further testing the 2T oil would show. In the mean time NO FL2. 08 FL2 SE TD4 manual,Santorini Black, Factory fitted Black Tinted Glass, Anti-Tesco Trolly Side Protection, bebe confort axiss carseats & Cargo barrier to stop twin's buggy & junk coming through. NO Sweets Crisps or Drinks inside.
WITH TWINS, YOU DON'T HAVE MONEY Smile Now towing a Abbey Vouge 650 1800kg

Tug weight 1958kg + Roofrails & Towbar

Post #58559 8th Feb 2010 9:44 am
Matthius

Poland 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 S Auto Stornoway Grey

Atrix wrote:
I am still interested in, how adding 2-stroke oil would affect the viscosity of the diesel at winter temperatures. Is there any risk that pouring oil into tank would hamper the flow of diesel? Or is it better to take other additives in the winter instead of oil , e.g. castrol TDA etc.? Thanks Cool

I did not have any problems starting the engine while outside temperature was -26C. Filled about 3 times since then, temperatures still below 0 - no issues at all.

Post #58959 10th Feb 2010 1:35 pm
Atrix

Latvia 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 S Manual Lago Grey

Thanks, Matthius, for sharing your experience! Smile In Berlin, there are approx. 6 degrees below the zero now. I added a dose of mineral based 2-stroke oil at my first fill-up a week ago and can't complain: after the start engine is running well. Perhaps I should use semi-synthetics in the winter though. Today I took my new Freely to a bosch-service for installing an Eberspaercher heater and asked to do it in the way that the heated coolant is led to the engine block first. Normal engine start-up has priority for me over the warmth in the cabin, because the winters in my home-country Latvia are harsher than here in Germany:) Freelander version sold in Russia have Webasto-auxiliary-heater installed as standard, which would make sense for me too. I read in a Russian LR forum that the folks there distrust the 2-stroke oil and rely on Castrol additive TDA, which unfortunately I coudn't find at petrol stations in Berlin Wink

Post #59034 10th Feb 2010 7:57 pm
alex_pescaru

Atrix wrote:
I read in a Russian LR forum that the folks there distrust the 2-stroke oil and rely on Castrol additive TDA, which unfortunately I coudn't find at petrol stations in Berlin Wink

There are two different things:
- 2T oil is for improving the diesel fuel's lubricity and
- Castrol TDA is for lowering the diesel fuel's gelification temperature.
Both can be used, in the same time.

Post #59094 11th Feb 2010 10:10 am
Atrix

Yes, I agree, Alex, that Castrol-TDA-additive is more versatile since it is a product specially designed for all types of diesel engines. In TDA, 'anti-gel' characteristics are paired with cleaning and lubrication functions. As for costs comparison btw. oil and TDA, they seem to be equal. In another thread, I have recently found a statement of yamaha fan suggesting for 2 stroke-oikl improvement in terms of diesel viscosity as well and as long I am not able to find TDA I will be using 2-stroke-oil. Thanx, Alex! Smile

Post #59101 11th Feb 2010 11:38 am
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

I strongly believe that Castrol's TDA diesel-additive will not meet the qualities of a good 2-T oil addition as long as this 2-T oil meets the JASO "FC" standard. From the legal point please note that Castrol's TDA additive is a fuel additive which most car manufacturers do not appove of, whereas 2-T oil does not count as additive as 2-T oil is in its chemical consistence differently cracked and improved mineral oil. The addition of 2-T oil to the diesel in the recommended dosis cannot be analysed under normal circumstances as the 2-T oil emulgates with the diesel oil. This emulgation will lead to the superb benefits of adding 2-T oil, such as increased CETAN value, cleaning capabilities, increased lubrication and, last but not least, increase of viscosity.

YF

Post #59324 12th Feb 2010 3:16 pm
Atrix

Thanks, Yamaha Fan, for your valuable comment! Wink

Post #59336 12th Feb 2010 5:23 pm
cressus_66

Romania 

Atrix wrote:
Thanks, Yamaha Fan, for your valuable comment! Wink

Me too Exclamation Many Thanks Exclamation Life is very hard but...good news...she's running like hell

Post #60215 19th Feb 2010 3:08 am
Roughneck6zero

United Kingdom 
It works

I have a new vehicle with the Mercedes OM642 V6 Diesel , the engine Mercedes used in the test from Paris to Bejing. Replacement engine cost is £17000 + fitting. I am friends with an honest Mercedes Dealer , hence the info.
Would I or anybody take the risk of causing damage if we were not sure of the benefits of adding 2 stroke?

Yamaha fan is 100% correct, since first reading this article some 5 months ago , I have been adding mineral 2 stroke at a ratio of 200:1
I have reaped all the benefits of adding 2 stroke to diesel fuel and had zero problems.
It is also added to family cars , Honda 2.2CRTI Sport, Ford Focus Tdci, Seat Ibiza tdi, VW Golf GT tdi , all reaping the benefits and no problems.

Sounds like the guy who filled up at Morrissons paid for a tank of dodgy diesel , probably bio crap.

All my friends report the same benefits with big mileage and big smiles on their faces since using it.

Find a Volvo or Scania Lorry fitter , they have known about this and been using this additive for years.

Any of you daft enough to buy a French diesel , should really start ASAP.
As the French in their infinite wisdom make the injection pumps innards from Brass , then wonder why the brass filings show up in the oil filter.
Might as well have built them out of plasticine. Rolling with laughter
Typical arrogant French Engineering, Remember these are the folk who built the aircraft carrier Charles de gaule, which was only fit for scrap the minute it went down the slipway from the builders yard.
Too proud ( of what I'm not sure) to buy one in from another nation.
It can only attain half it's design cruising speed, any more and the reactor will go into meltdown Rolling with laughter

Post #64353 22nd Mar 2010 11:14 am
alex_pescaru

Aside the fact that you are another happy user of 2T oil, quite some frustrations are steaming out from between your lines...
Without trying to patronize you (considering the end part of your post, I have no chance for this) maybe you should read more about the properties of the brass, depending on the proportions of the copper and zinc.
If properly lubricated, for rotating parts, brass is better than any other alloy...
Just consider the electric motors or the power generators inside power plants with their bearings made of brass which works for years without interruption...

Post #64354 22nd Mar 2010 12:26 pm
MacWallace

Scotland 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Zermatt Silver

Roughneck6zero - I have just noticed this thread and have read the contents with interest. I note that you live around Ulster so will be subject to similar products to me here in Perthshire. Can you advise what specific product you have been using and, in relation to a full tank of diesel in the F2, how much of the 2 stroke you are using (I know you referred to 200:1 in your previous thread, but to be honest that means nothing to me!) Very Happy Very Happy

Post #64419 22nd Mar 2010 8:37 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

This is a compilation of Y fans best bits (And your answer MacW is 330ml to a full tank Thumbs Up )
Quote YF....
I would use any of the two 2-T oils, whichever I would get cheaper.
You can also use the Mobil Extra 2T.
Important is, that those 2T-oils should comply with JASCO "FC" or ISO L-E "GC" or "GD", which should be written on the bottle. All 2T-oils as per these norms burn with an ash content of less than 0,05%.
one more information to the interested reader when buying 2-T oil:
The "JASO" specification of 2-T oil means "Japan Automobile Standards Organisation"
For JASO F: the higher the letter behind the "F" the better the performance of the 2-T oil
JASO MA = for 4-stroke motorbike engines
JASO F = for 2-stroke motorbike engines
JASO FA = standard 2-T oil
JASO FB = low smoke
JASO FC = lowest smoke
For Europe, the equivalent of JASO is ISO:
ISO-L-EGB equals JASO F
ISO-L-EGC equals JASO FB
ISO-L-EGD equals JASO FC
Any 2-T oil which meets the JASO norm FB or FC will do. Buy the 2-T oil you can get at the best price.
I firmly believe that the addition of 2-stroke oil in the ratio 1:200 to the full tank (330 cc to 68 litre) will serve all purposes...end YF quote.
So buy a 330ml pop bottle - drink it, then fill that bottle up with your 2T oil, and take it to the petrol station add the bottle contents then fill the car up (The pop bottle was ad210358's idea) Very Happy

Post #64436 22nd Mar 2010 10:03 pm
MacWallace

Thanks again mcphersonstrut Bow down

Post #64506 23rd Mar 2010 7:44 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Your welcome MacW - but the thanks should go to YF Thumbs Up

Post #64507 23rd Mar 2010 8:19 pm
MacWallace

You are right mcphersonstrut Embarassed Thanks YF for all the info Bow down