Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > EVs vs ICE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Interestingly even Hyundai are starting to hedge their future by developing a new Range Extender Platform, as they respond to the slowing Battery Electric Vehicle market.

https://autos.yahoo.com/hyundai-hedges-ev-...47291.html

Personally I feel that the compromise we will end up with is Built Up Area full electric running, but ICE assistance will be allowed Out in the Country (between Towns)

I believe that Toyota had the right idea with their clever Hybrid system, and their enhanced PHEV system seems to be a very efficient power source that covers in and out of town driving, with no Range Anxiety.

This may be my next car, if I am allowed to carry on driving (and can afford the growing, age related, insurance costs).

https://global.toyota/en/newsroom/toyota/32758042.html FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 77k+ miles) (MY2015)
Metro in its 11th Year of (Extended) LR Warranty / Full LR Service History
(Expensive, but Trouble/Worry free - hopefully?)

Post #444626 10th Sep 2024 10:28 pm
Just a driver

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

Think you’re right. Costs will dictate to older people rather than range anxiety, even if they do travel reasonable distances. I honestly can’t see us being able to buy an EV.

Post #444628 11th Sep 2024 8:42 am
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

It seems odd to me that Freelander owners say they can't afford an EV, when 2 or 3 year old second hand EVs can be had for the same or less money as a 10 year old Freelander. Our Ioniq 5 is on a lease, but the cost savings over an the ICE vehicle it replaced, pretty much cover the monthly lease cost. This is due to much lower fuel costs, paltry maintenance costs, and similar insurance costs.
I'm looking for another EV, although second hand this time, so we can get rid of our last ICE car.
The fuel savings alone make ownership of an EV so much cheaper than an equivalent ICE, with low servicing costs being the icing on the cake.
Unfortunately EVs aren't so cheap if there's no access to cheap charging, and if fast charging at the big network chargers, it's probably cheaper to drive a petrol car. However for us, the appeal of fueling the cat for just a couple of Pence per mile, is the main driver for going all electric now.

Range on a long drive isn't an issue either, as the I-5 will do over 250 miles between charges, but we generally stop for a break after 2½ hours drive anyway, so we just stop where there is access to cheap, fast charging, so by the time we're sorted, the car is too.
It's really not an issue, at least not for us so far. Normal weekly charging, is a top up twice a week, with maybe an extra one on Saturday night, if there's a long journey planned for the Sunday. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate. The family car.
2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Gone.
2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE. Gone.
Audi A5 convertible, my daily driver.
1972 Hillman Avenger GT, the project.

Last edited by Nodge68 on 11th Sep 2024 5:34 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #444643 11th Sep 2024 5:08 pm
Just a driver

I did not realise EV had dropped that much in price. 3 or 4 grand for an EV that can tow the caravan and can be repaired at Fred in the shed, that is good.

Post #444644 11th Sep 2024 5:12 pm
Nodge68

EVs are loosing about 30 to 50% of their initial purchase price, by the time they've reached 3 years old, which is about the same as a 3 series BMW, or Jaguar F Pace, or other premium vehicle.
This means a 3 year old Ioniq 5 can be had for about £28k, which is a good chunk of change, but it's still £20k less than its new price.
Something more normal (an I-5 is a large and powerful Freelander sized vehicle) like a 2 year old VW ID3 can be bought for £12 to £14k, which is just a normal family hatchback. It's perfect for normal family running about, where range and low running costs are important.

If towing is needed, then a suitable EV will cost more to buy, but the who wants to tow the toilet about anyway. Just sell the tin tent, and put the fuel savings of an EV towards a bloody hotel and enjoy life. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate. The family car.

Post #444645 11th Sep 2024 5:46 pm
Just a driver

Good job we are not all the same

Post #444647 11th Sep 2024 6:33 pm
Just a driver

All those prices are above our budget, and I can honestly say I am not a great fan of hotels. Sleeping a bed that god knows how many other people have slept in some how is not that appealing to me

Post #444648 11th Sep 2024 6:36 pm
Dartman the one

England 

Even without a BEV, I found ditching the tin tent driving from Scotland to the French Mediterranean French coast renting a chalet and staying a couple of nights on the way in a hotel with a very good restaurant worked out the same or nearly and more pleasant. The tin tent route was either Newcastle or Hull to Holland or Hull Zeebrugge and stop twice at 25 mpg. I never got on with tin tent passage making, not nearly as pleasant as in a yacht. my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #444649 11th Sep 2024 6:38 pm
Just a driver

Even cheaper is flying off peak, there is some good deals then. The other half doesn’t like flying so we have only gone where we can drive to.

Post #444650 11th Sep 2024 7:09 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Speaking as someone who does between 25-30,000 miles a year in a 2 tonne SUV (DS) with a 2 litre diesel engine, pay per mile sounds great. As long as they dump the tax on fuel, I have bought 42 gallons (191 Litres) of diesel in the last two days.

Lets say 53p per litre excise duty then 20% tax.
70p for the fuel, add 53p = £1.23 then 20% VAT = £1.47 per litre, so 77p tax per litre or £3.50 per gallon for us old folk.

That and the £472 vehicle tax, so based on 25,000 miles and 38mpg = 658 gallon = £2,302 + £472 = £2,774 a year in tax = 11p per mile. Bring it on.

For those thinking of fiddling the mileage it is actually recorded in several of the ECUs and if any doesn't agree it sets a flag that is easily read, to say that there is a mileage discrepancy. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #444655 12th Sep 2024 10:47 am
Nodge68

Dartman the one wrote:
Even without a BEV, I found ditching the tin tent driving from Scotland to the French Mediterranean French coast renting a chalet and staying a couple of nights on the way in a hotel with a very good restaurant worked out the same or nearly and more pleasant. The tin tent route was either Newcastle or Hull to Holland or Hull Zeebrugge and stop twice at 25 mpg. I never got on with tin tent passage making, not nearly as pleasant as in a yacht.

We've done the tin tent thing for a few years. But decided that we'd rather spend our holiday time in a hotel, where someone else cooks the food, cleans the room, and most importantly, doesn't involve transporting toilet contents to a disposal area.

So this means that our I-5 doesn't need to tow, even though it's capable of towing a 1600kg load. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate. The family car.

Post #444656 12th Sep 2024 1:00 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

We did the tin tent thing for decades, still would if Gill was still with us. Mean reason in latter years was the dogs. We had miniature Yorkshire Terriers for the best part of 30 years. You want to book a hotel that allows dogs, then it is going to have dog hairs (Yorkies don't shed - they have hair that needs cutting) and they are going to be fully booked at the bank holiday weekends many months (if not a year) in advance.

Saved me a fortune over the years, working in San Sebastian for 5 weeks at £150 per week campsite fees, or £120 a night in a 3 star hotel, then there's the saving cooking your own rather than eating out. Or Reading for 12 weeks, Belgium / France / Germany - you get the idea. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #444657 12th Sep 2024 2:05 pm
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Andy131 wrote:
Speaking as someone who does between 25-30,000 miles a year in a 2 tonne SUV (DS) with a 2 litre diesel engine, pay per mile sounds great. As long as they dump the tax on fuel, I have bought 42 gallons (191 Litres) of diesel in the last two days.

Lets say 53p per litre excise duty then 20% tax.
70p for the fuel, add 53p = £1.23 then 20% VAT = £1.47 per litre, so 77p tax per litre or £3.50 per gallon for us old folk.

That and the £472 vehicle tax, so based on 25,000 miles and 38mpg = 658 gallon = £2,302 + £472 = £2,774 a year in tax = 11p per mile. Bring it on.

For those thinking of fiddling the mileage it is actually recorded in several of the ECUs and if any doesn't agree it sets a flag that is easily read, to say that there is a mileage discrepancy.

Isnt fuel tax a sort of pay per mile tax anyway. The more you drive the more you pay. Its an incentive to buy economical vehicles and drive sensibly. It taxes more those who dont give a fig how they drive or can afford a gas guzzler.

I dont think a "pay per mile" tax will be any cheaper for drivers or cost effective for the Gov to invoke. Jules

Post #444658 12th Sep 2024 5:47 pm
AT1963

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

At 61 years young i have no intention of buying another car if the Freelander holds up.
Why would i want to pay about £10k extra for a battery??
Freelander runs well, is within my budget for running and maintenance and is one of the best vehicles i have owned. Why would i spend my hard earned cash to keep up with the latest trend.
I owe nothing on my car, do all servicing myself and it tows the ifor well.
No brainer!!

Post #444661 12th Sep 2024 7:32 pm
Nodge68

A second hand EV isn't anything like £10k more expensive than an equivalent ICE vehicle, it's more likely to be the same price or lower in reality.
Even if the EV was more expensive, the lower running and maintenance costs soon cancel out a price difference.
We spent on average £6 a week on electricity to fuel our Freelander sized EV for 330 miles of running around driving.
Running the Freelander for the same week and distance would cost over £70 in diesel. It doesn't take long for any price difference to soon be evened up, and by the time lower servicing and maintenance is factored in, an EV becomes a very sensible low cost transportation option.
Of course there are other benefits, like getting into a pre-heated car in winter, which is a very pleasant thing to do.

Would I go back to an ICE vehicle as our family transport? No I wouldn't, and I'm actively looking for another EV to replace my ICE runabout. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate. The family car.

Post #444664 13th Sep 2024 9:05 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>