Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > EV's
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 49 of 52 <123 ... 4849 505152>
Print this entire topic · 
GJH0702

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Sumatra Black

Been obtaining cars via PCP since 1998 when company car scheme stopped, and we gained a pensionable lump sum salary increase Very Happy - at the end of the day it’s a personal matter/preference.
I bought a new Discovery Sport diesel 2 months ago – my 6th LR.
I looked at electric option on Disc Sport and Volvo XC60 but PCP price was too high- Volvo was Nearly £200 pm more- which as a private motorist I couldn’t justify.
My son has an electric BMW IX but the main reason is that it’s a company car and tax is so low- he has had no reliability problems but a number of ‘range’ challenges especially in winter having to turn everything off to get home ! That said its 2 years old and has been very cheap on service costs.
I would go electric if price was similar to petrol/diesel 2011 XS,Sumatra Black, GONE MARCH 2014- RR Evoque Prestige 5 door ,MY 2014,Loire Blue, Silver Roof, Panoramic roof.
MY 2016 Disco Sport HSE Auto Scotia Grey,REJECTED
Mercedes E220D AMG line with air suspension(Gone)
DS 200 SE Dynamic my 21 (Gone)
DS 200 SE Dynamic my 22 (Gone)
Audi Q5 40TDI S line (gone)
Discovery Sport D200 S 2024 MY

Post #442191 2nd Jun 2024 9:49 am
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

IanMetro wrote:
Just a driver wrote:
Ah yes lease the posh debt that doesn’t have to be paid back. That’s the trouble with the country nobody has got money on the hip, it’s all make believe

This was about deciding if it is worth buying an EV, and if you do, what is the best one to replace a FL2.

Surely how you pay is another argument.

I come from an age where we were encouraged to save before you buy, but the reality was that I was young and, once I finished training, I was faced by having to travel around the country and needed a reliable car. I choose to take out a hire purchase agreement on a new 100E Ford Popular.
In 1961 credit was hard to get and being under 21 I had to get my father's permission and he had to agree to guarantee my loan.

I still believe that Nodge has made an interesting choice and I hope that he gives some insight into what goes well, and what turns out to be not so good.

I do like your balanced views. Thumbs Up
The choice of vehicles was small, as the wife didn't like all of the affordable options, with the exception of the Ioniq 5 and the Cupra Born.
The Born was more expensive per month, and had a higher advanced payment, plus it didn't have the same amount of space inside, but it did drive better than the Ioniq IMO, but it was a close thing really.
At the end of the day, we chose something that was more practical (a Freelander is a hard act to follow), and has slightly lower monthly costs too.

Time will tell if our choice was sound, but I'm going to enjoy not having to climb under a Freelander, or fix another leaking pipe, or whatever the next failure will be. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate. The family car.
2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Gone.
2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE. Gone.
Audi A5 convertible, my daily driver.
1972 Hillman Avenger GT, the project.

Post #442195 2nd Jun 2024 12:02 pm
Nodge68

Dave47 wrote:
Nodge, how does the overall ride compare to the Freelander 2?
now you've been using it.

I've done over 300 miles in it this weekend (too the girls on a day trip), so can put some information towards answering this question.

The drive is very different compared to the Freelander's, it's softer sprung (the I5), and the steering is like pretty much any other modern car, in that there's little feeling as to what the front wheels are doing.
The Freelander steering is much more communicative, which is either a good or bad thing, depending on personal preference.
I've always liked the steering and suspension balance of the Freelander, so nothing else will feel as good, at least not that I've driven.
Handling wise, the Ioniq is better, flatter in the corners, with noticeably more grip under the enormous tyres.

Seats are a little softer than the Freelander, so time will tell how I get on with them. I've always found that LR seats are comfortable to sit in for hours at a time. The Ionic aren't uncomfortable, but I've not had a drive of many hours to really test them.

On the road the Ioniq 5 is much more refined, much more responsive, even in ECO mode. Normal mode has faster throttle response, and Sport mode is just mental. Passengers complain if I punch the throttle in Sport mode.
In Sport, the slightest press on the throttle sees the vehicle accelerate rapidly, far to fast to use in town, as 30 comes up in about 1 second. One bonus of rapid acceleration is the ease of joining duel carriageway, even on short on slips, as reaching the nearside lane speed is very easy.
I just use ECO mode, which has much more punch that the wife's Audi A5, yet has returned over 4 miles to 1 kWhr of energy, which is very good.

Charging, not an issue.
Range, not an issue.
Cost per mile? So far it has worked out to 9 Pence per mile, which compared to the Freelander's 28 Pence in diesel, is very reasonable.
The cost per mile will fall, once I've moved over to an EV tariff, which I'm waiting to go through now. Once set up on my chosen tariff, cost per mile for every day use will be closer to 2 Pence per mile.
Happy days. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate. The family car.

Post #442196 2nd Jun 2024 12:19 pm
Just a driver

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

I was not saying how he had paid for it, just if there are incentives for cheap money in leasing it will end in tears before bedtime. History always repeats its self. When it’s cheap people borrow then work drys up , blame everyone else and the government. Then they need to sell, buyers circle like vultures and offer low amounts as they know that people have to sell. I do think that ev will have to reach throw away prices to the masses on board.

Post #442197 2nd Jun 2024 12:41 pm
Dave47

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Izmir Blue

Thanks Nodge, interesting about the ride as I've always loved
the Freelander ride feeling and that it make a lot of othert cars feel harsh on the road,
I guess the Ionic is flatter on the bends as the centre off grivity is lower.
I rather like like the look, sadle way out of my range.
I can see your still playing with the response, I would too. Laughing
Enjoy. Thumbs Up DAVE.

Post #442204 2nd Jun 2024 4:09 pm
Nodge68

You're welcome.
I'll continue to update as we get more road under the tyres.

As for the steering and suspension, I've always found the Freelander 2 well ahead of the competition, so that's what I'll miss when it goes.

That's the only thing though, everything else about this vehicle is just more refined, although the security is a concern, as these keyless entry systems are pretty easy to defeat apparently. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate. The family car.

Post #442207 2nd Jun 2024 5:24 pm
GJH0702

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Sumatra Black

Just driven behind a Ioniq - do you not 'miss' the higher ride heigh / command position ? for me that would stop me buying. 2011 XS,Sumatra Black, GONE MARCH 2014- RR Evoque Prestige 5 door ,MY 2014,Loire Blue, Silver Roof, Panoramic roof.
MY 2016 Disco Sport HSE Auto Scotia Grey,REJECTED
Mercedes E220D AMG line with air suspension(Gone)
DS 200 SE Dynamic my 21 (Gone)
DS 200 SE Dynamic my 22 (Gone)
Audi Q5 40TDI S line (gone)
Discovery Sport D200 S 2024 MY

Post #442208 2nd Jun 2024 5:30 pm
Nodge68

No I don't miss the higher driving position of the Freelander. Our current other car is an Audi A5 S Line convertible, which is basically like sitting on the floor. The Ioniq 5 is much higher than that.
I have actually measured the driver's seat height to compare it with the Freelander. The difference in height is just 70mm, which isn't much. The A5 seat is 180mm lower than the Ioniq 5, and 250mm lower than the Freelander.

We've had several modern SUVs, none are as high as the Freelander. We've also had a D3, which makes the Freelander feel low.
It's just what you get used to, nothing more. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate. The family car.

Post #442211 2nd Jun 2024 6:13 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

When I had a DS for a day recently, I was surprised that the seating is noticeably lower than the FL2.
My wife did not like the view you get out at all, and I must admit that I was relieved when I got back in my FL2 as the higher driving position made it easier to place in traffic.

This is surprising as externally the DS is almost exactly the same height as the FL2. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 77k+ miles) (MY2015)
Metro in its 11th Year of (Extended) LR Warranty / Full LR Service History
(Expensive, but Trouble/Worry free - hopefully?)

Post #442223 2nd Jun 2024 8:14 pm
Nodge68

IanMetro wrote:

I still believe that Nodge has made an interesting choice and I hope that he gives some insight into what goes well, and what turns out to be not so good.

Ok, so we've been doing plenty of extra miles, over our normal weekly amount. We've been going out on family trips on the weekends, so the miles have piled on fast.
We've done 900 miles in it so far, but we've only paid for 600 miles worth of energy (it came fully charged) which has cost us about £60 in electricity, with a mix of Tesla fast charging, and on our standard home tariff. We're still waiting for a smart meter, so can't move over to a much cheaper EV tariff until that is installed.
When charging at home at the moment, it equals less than 6 Pence per mile, Tesla charging is about 13 Pence per mile.
The car is showing an average consumption of 3.8 miles to 1 kWhr, which works out about right by my maths. What is good is the range, where after a full charge shows a range of 306 miles, and it actually does do the range it says, that's pretty impressive.

I've got more used to the vehicle systems now, and how to set them for least annoying interventions of the ADAS.

Performance is good, but the absence of any real noise means keeping a constant eye on the speedo. I tend to use the smart cruise control most of the time, as it automatically keeps the vehicle travelling at the last speed sign detected.

Overtaking is effortless, getting past slow vehicles in less than half the distance the Freelander would need.
Handling is considerably better than the Freelander, with little body roll. I've got used to the rather wolly steering, finding much the same as our previous Mazda CX5. It doesn't have the feedback of the Freelander, but that's pretty normal for a modern car.

I'm loving the space inside, as are the kids (not really kids with the youngest being 16), as there's loads of leg room, more than the Freelander. The rear seats are slightly higher than the front, and recline for added comfort if needed.

Something that has surprised us is the number of people that stop and stare at it as we drive into car parks, or even down the road. I've even had a Tesla owner come up to me while I was plugged into the local Tesla charger, asking what it was, and if it can use Supercharges. I said it can in use these chargers because they're open to all vehicles. He said he didn't know Tesla chargers could work on non Tesla vehicles, and fancied something less boring than his model 3. Rolling with laughter

Overall I'm impressed with this new technology, so much so that driving our other car (Audi A5 convertible) feels very old fashioned.

I can't wait to be able to fuel the Ioniq 5 for less than 2 Pence per mile, which is what it'll cost once the EV tariff kicks in.

So far we're very happy with the choice we made. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate. The family car.

Post #442504 11th Jun 2024 9:31 pm
robblue

United Kingdom 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

cool glad you are enjoying it Thumbs Up 2009 FL2 S now gone
2011 FL2 HSE AUTO
2012 FL2 XS AUTO
2000 Kawasaki er 5

Post #442511 12th Jun 2024 11:41 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

I have no idea about the situation in other countries.

In Australia the recent "corrupt" (let's be bluntly honest on every level that I can think of, let alone any other scheme that bleeds money for the companies executive remuneration) trick. Various energy companies give you a kWh discount to smooth out your energy consumption over the day or whatever.

But in the fine print, in any individual 30 minutes that you have peaked, like getting home & turning on everything briefly... BRIEFLY!

The suppliers charge a 30 minute peak usage fee which is then recharged daily for the entire month or even a quarter for every single day! So you may have had a brief peak 30 minute >10kWh usage. Then that surcharge gets charged for 30 to 90 days.

The other terminology that I can think of, is using the Fuji Xerox for printing money!

Just as well we still on the old dumb meter, pay a bit more per kW, but our two instantaneous hot water systems at 22kW each would kill us... in fees & not from a short circuit under the shower with salt water from the beach! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #442513 12th Jun 2024 1:22 pm
Just a driver

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

Yes once they have us all on smart meters we will be in the Uk we will be stung for schemes like that. They are not putting all those smart meters in out of the kindness of their hearts.

Post #442514 12th Jun 2024 1:32 pm
Nodge68

Unfortunately smart meters are a necessary evil, if access to cheap EV tariffs and decent returns on solar export are required.

It is possible to have solar and a dumb meter, but the export payments are tiny, like 3 Pence per kWhr. With a smart meter I can buy electricity off peek (00:00- 07:00) for 6.9 Pence per kWhr, and sell back my excess solar for 16.5 Pence per kWhr.

Yes my peek rate unit charge will increase above my current standard variable, but I plan on using as much cheap rate as possible, so charge the car, put the immersion heater on, run the dishwasher and washing machine, so minimising my peek rate usage, I could even microwave my tea using the energy in the cars battery is I wanted.
Obviously in the summer, the solar will or should be covering all of my day's usage, with plenty of spare to export, so I'll only be using grid energy in the dark winter days, when solar energy output drops. Thankfully being in the southwest, I'll still get a reasonable solar generation, even in winter.

From the calculations, my monthly electricity bill should around the same as it is now, once the SEG payments are included, and that will include charging the EV.
I'll be saving on diesel (over £2000 PA) and heating oil (about £300PA) and reduce my carbon footprint at the same time.

Let's hope the planet pays me back for my carbon reduction, by providing lots of lovely sunshine to make electricity with. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate. The family car.

Post #442518 12th Jun 2024 5:41 pm
AT1963

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

You will need to keep the car for approx 5-7 years to break even with carbon footprint!

Post #442523 12th Jun 2024 8:38 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 49 of 52 <123 ... 4849 505152>