51%
 51%  [75]
Total Votes: 147

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 79 of 93 <123 ... 787980 ... 919293>
Print this entire topic · 
SakoQuad

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

One of the characteristics of this web site is the courtesy shown by most members, one to another, you should try it.

I was merely responding to Scoray's question about engine oil, perhaps you hadn't read the whole of his post, hardly a hijack or hanging offence and certainly no need for you to be quite so rude..

I certainly didn't know that most dealers now used Castrol Edge so thank you for your information. Perhaps that should have gone into another thread?

Post #246485 28th Dec 2014 12:29 am
piattj

Wales 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Baltic Blue

Past master wrote:
Castrol Edge is the one all the dealers seem to use. Use search to have a look at other threads, rather than hijacking this one.

A bit Censored harsh, mate... ...

Be true to yourself. That way happiness lies...

Post #246521 28th Dec 2014 12:36 pm
taztastic

England 

Out of all the threads on here, this one causes more grief, aside of caravans. There was a question responded to and no hijacking, in my view, was made.
The search function is not utilised very well, that said, I don't think the search is very good anyway, however, let's move on and get back to what we do best Thumbs Up

Post #246527 28th Dec 2014 12:56 pm
kimosabe

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

I have been using 2SO every time I put any new diesel into my cars tank. I have been doing this since I bought the car around 2 years ago and it has just passed another MoT without issues. It runs like a dream and all I can say, in a very unscientific way, is that no noticeable negative effects have presented themselves and I have not had a moment of mechanical trouble with the car.

What I do notice is on the occasions when I haven't added any 2SO, the engine clatter in noticeably louder even when warm. Make of this what you will but the exhaust readings at MoT stations don't suggest any bad side effects and my mechanic reckons the car performs as normal.

One added thing to note is that I use a Bluefin remap, always have and always will. With the remap removed, the car feels like a breathless tractor by comparison with little, if any, gains in MPG. Whereabouts unknown stop going to follow stream until reach civilisation stop message ends

Post #247478 3rd Jan 2015 5:56 pm
papashaun

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Ipanema Sand

Have been looking at this thread for a wee while - and similar threads on some other forums - and decided to go ahead and give it a try ! Got some Castrol ActEvo2 ( mineral based FC spec - since got a DPF ) and added approx 330ml to a full tank yesterday. Don't do much city driving so get reasonable mpg anyway - around 38.5 on avge according to the computer thingy, but will see over next few days if sounds quieter etc. Presume it maybe takes a couple or three tankfulls before doing much in the way of cleaning out any crap etc, so probably psychological, but did seem to be running really smooth this afternoon ! Freelander 2
MY 2011
SD4 XS

Post #247982 6th Jan 2015 11:18 pm
kimosabe

2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Hi papashaun,

As far as I can tell, the worst that can happen is nothing at all. From an economics point of view, the amount you're spending on the additive negates any fuel savings you may get. If you add too much, it will be burned off and you'll see a bit of exhaust smoke for a few seconds, then it will stop smoking.

So all you have to do is listen to your engine. the price of 2so went up as soon as the UK govt realised people were using it as a fuel additive. Some also rebranded the packaging. So just listen. One way to do this is to set your stereo volume and not move it while listening to the same cd before and after. I swear my engine is much quieter after I've poured some 2so into the fuel tank.

Keep posting your progress. Whereabouts unknown stop going to follow stream until reach civilisation stop message ends

Post #248031 7th Jan 2015 11:44 am
papashaun

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Ipanema Sand

Thanks Kimosabe - guess the " quietness " is fairly subjective - good tip you gave for trying to measure it ! So far so good, and will see after a couple of weeks or so how she does - will post back ! Freelander 2
MY 2011
SD4 XS

Post #248051 7th Jan 2015 3:52 pm
Winslet

United Kingdom 

I am now on my 6th fill and have done about 2000 miles on 2SO with a DPF fitted car. Although it is all very much subjective, I would say the car is quieter on tick over whether the engine is hot or cold, smoother as the revs are extended and I haven't known it to do a DPF burn off at all, whereas it did so often before. No noticeable change in MPG though. 2016 BMW X3 30d SE in red
MY2013 SD4 XS Firenze Red, 19" 10 spoke contrast paint wheels, Signature Strips, Grand Black Lacquer trim, Cold Climate Pack - gone!
2007 TD4 S Stornoway Grey - gone!

Post #248112 7th Jan 2015 9:54 pm
dr. tom

Germany 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

After 7 years of yamaha fan's first post to this meanwhile widely accepted theme, I have been requested by her honour to thank all the partcipants of this thread for their sharing their experisnce with adding 2SO to the diesel. This thread has become probably the largest in all forums wordwide, and the interest in this subject is still overwhelming, even though the one or the other ist still sceptical. Fact is that there is over the many years no negative report on 2SO to diesel but very many positive reflections. We think that the use of 2SO in a homoeophatic dosis is meanwhile internationally accepted, and the car-manufacturers have given up their objections. This is what yamaha fan wanted to achieve, and I think she has succeeded. All of you the very best for yourselves and your families, and, of course, to your beloved vehicles.

Post #248173 8th Jan 2015 11:33 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Soul Fan

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Havana

Thank you Dr. Tom & a massive thank you to Yamaha Fan Bow down
I have used 2so for 3years / 30k miles and agree with all the positives Thumbs Up Back in the fold after 8 yrs. V8 Disco 300 series-Gone.07 Freelander 2 HSE Auto Rimini Red.
Gone.
2013 HSE Lux Havana ( Brown! )

Post #248504 11th Jan 2015 12:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Finn mc Missile

Finland 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tonga Green

Very first time I tried this... Added some 3dl to full tank of diesel. On my way home, after about +1km of driving, I heard a fairly remarkable change in engine sound. Much more softer sound after that. It was very clear moment, engine sound changed in split second, just the moment when oily diesel reached the engine.
Here in Finland we use winter-quality diesel in wintertime. It has been paraffin removed from it, to avoid congealing in very low temperatures. (Arctic quality diesel works down to -44C since normal summerdiesel starts to congeal in about -10C degrees. However arctic quality is needed only in Lapland, normal winter quality works down to -34C) So it's very dry. And 2T oil really helps Very Happy
Nothing to say about fuel aconomy, didn't notice anything.

Post #248562 11th Jan 2015 6:36 pm
MarkyTM

United Kingdom 

Not had a feely since 2007 so apologies for the gatecrash.

I've read all of the pages of this thread with interest, and sometimes with incredulity at some of the slanging that's gone on!

From my experience with additives they are all very much snake oil excepting (and this is based on my own anecdotal experience)

1) Millers Diesel Ecomax
2) Auto-RX engine cleaner*

I now drive a 3.0Tdi quattro A6 tiptronic, although I could afford a later one I went for a 2007 as no DPF (became standard in 2008) and as I don't do the miles I use to (35k down to 10k now) didn't want to have the hassle of regen.

Car is remapped (alientech K2) for economy which gives me a 10-12% hike in power that doesn't affect my insurance. Smile

Am no demon driver as bought this car to transport my kids in comfort and safety in all weathers, sadly despite the AWD and fitting winter tyres have not had a decent winter in the last 3 to test it out Sad In fact there is no car I have ever driven that I've not been able to match/exceed the manufacturers stated MPG figures (the hardest was an Insignia) and have gotten over 900 miles on a tank (80l brimmed) albeit that was 2 x 400 mile non-stop trips in the wee hours up to Glasgow and back. So hopefully that's painted a picture.

As to cost I always buy supermarket fuel, as to the cost comparisons made on this thread (by moderators) I can honestly say I've never paid more than £1.20ppl in the last year, and two fills, due to Tesco's promotion were both below £1pl. How does this compare with the price of Shell Super Duper Ferrari Turbo Wallet Cleanser?

OK onto the crux of it, Audi engines are prone to coking up, intake manifold EGR which clogs the swirl flaps (mine are currently not moving properly). A common problem with any EGR fitted car (which I hope to blank off/code out soon). Has not affected driveability/power or economy that I can see, in fact BMW drivers can remove them completely with no ill effects. So goes it show that things fitted to new cars aren't necessary for the benefit of the driver but the environment

My car is already pretty silky smooth so am just looking to clean up the EGR and intake a little and cut down on soot, although mine seems to produce very little unless I boot it. Although can't see anything about the subject on this thread except in passing.

Have added 500ml as a larger tank and will report back on anything I find, incidentally I have diluted another 500ml with a 11lt of diesel and can't see any discernable colour change. This I will add to my next fill up, which I think the best way to ensure the oil is distributed more evenly.

IMO, those that say they won't put additives in their fuel are doing that every time they fill up, esp if using the Shell Wallet cleanser, since its just an enhanced additive to what goes into supermarket stuff. Are they the same people that go to the dealer for tyres and won't apply a windscreen rain repellent because their user manual says not to? Laughing

All main dealers will offer an 'engine cleaning' service as an extra and charge accordingly for it, you can do this DIY, but imagine how much money they'd loose if all drivers either a) did it themselves at a tenth of the cost and/or b) were aware that adding TsO may negate the need for it (albeit as yet scientifically unproven). I will say that I have had a Terraclean carbonclean on my cars and emissions tests immediately before and after, in both cases my emissions were more than halved, and at next MOT (some months later) the lower figures remained. This cleans the top end fuel system, but due to the cost (circa £100 for both my 3.0 & 4.0 current cars) it's not something you can have done on a regular basis.

* I bought Auto-RX stateside in bulk (on special at $5 a bottle at autozone) and have used it for the last 8yrs, as to it's efficacy I have my 19yr old jag serviced by the same indi, same mechanic for the last 7. 6yrs ago he had the covers off to check on the state of the tensioners and chains and took pictures at service. Shortly afterwards I added some and ran it for the required period and oil changes. At next service he had the covers off again (one of the brass ferules needed to be epoxied back) and asked me if I'd had a new engine dropped in. So impressed was he that remarked it looked like it had just come off the production line with no tarnish or gum deposits, we compared the pics and there was a night/day difference. So IM (not so H) O some snake oils do work...well for me at least Very Happy

PS: Having once run out of fuel in the Audi,due to a faulty fuel tank sender, it took 14l to recharge the fuel system, so based on this and my average 40MPG I can't see that I'll notice any difference to the front end until I've done perhaps 120 miles.

Post #249153 17th Jan 2015 11:35 am
NLRU01

For those people using fuel additives bought in bulk...what method/equipment do you use to actually dose the fuel tank?

Post #251126 31st Jan 2015 10:48 am
taztastic

England 

This, or similiar, is 330ml, decant the additive into these and keep in the car, one for each fill. Thumbs Up

Post #251128 31st Jan 2015 11:06 am
NLRU01

That goes against all of the H&S training at agricultural college 35 years ago that I so slavishly follow ;-)

Thanks for the suggestion...far better than the small necked dosing bottle that ecomax type substances come in at Halfwhits.

Post #251130 31st Jan 2015 11:11 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 79 of 93 <123 ... 787980 ... 919293>