51%
 51%  [75]
Total Votes: 147

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 66 of 93 <123 ... 656667 ... 919293>
Print this entire topic · 
Past master

United Kingdom 

Glamgirl, since you have a 2008 model it won't have a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) so any 2-stroke oil will do. That said, most people would go for anything with JASO B in the specification small print. Get yourself a 330 mil drinks bottle (the sort they sell on the snacks counter at Sainsbury's) and use it to measure one dose per tankful - obviously half a bottle if you put in half a tankful.
From what I read here there are often cheap offers at Tescos etc fuel stations.

Post #185136 23rd May 2013 9:50 pm
issus

United Kingdom 

Glamgirljodi wrote:
but I'm a girl Smile xx
Thumbs Up

Here are the specs

The "JASO" specification of 2-T oil means "Japan Automobile Standards Organisation"
JASO MA = for 4-stroke motorbike engines
JASO F = for 2-stroke motorbike engines
JASO FA = standard 2-T oil
JASO FB = low smoke
JASO FC = lowest smoke
For JASO F: the higher the letter behind the "F" the better the performance of the 2-T oil

For Europe, the equivalent of JASO is ISO:
ISO-L-EGB equals JASO F
ISO-L-EGC equals JASO FB
ISO-L-EGD equals JASO FC

So probably for your car? FC is fine whilst FB is also acceptable! Avoid mineral oils as these will leave more sooty residue.
The ratio is 200:1 so if you add 45ltr you should add 225ml of 2s. FYI I use Valvoline Durablend Synthetic Blend JASO FC on a BMW 320s(no DPF) its about £6/ltr and a bottle lasts me weeks(I get 48mpg av). Wilkinson do a cheap one at under £6.00ltr and meets the JASO FC Spec as does Morrisons , Tesco and Asda. Whilst this additive will increase/improve your mpg don't forget because of the low ash content your vehicle should run cleaner. For example the EGR, Inlet Manifold and Fuel Injectors should run cleaner. Whilst this is a lengthy thread you should when you have time on your hands Rolling with laughter
read the first 30 pages of Yamaha's thread. She too is a woman so you can club together as sisters do. Whistle

regards Up the Cobblers

Post #185146 23rd May 2013 10:55 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ben.lesmana

Hello,

I register just to share my greatly positive experience with the 2SO, and to thank the OP and other contributors.

I researched for about a month reading the various advices/opinion on the subject, but this thread what makes me convinced to decide to try, although still worried if it will damage my engine.

The car is not an LR, but rather a Toyota MPV, 2.5l d4d common rail diesel engine (2kd-ftv) with around 200,000 KM, all pump/injectors are original.

The car has been running on local (subsidized) diesel fuel for most of its KM, nothing fancy here, i think it will be just regular/bottom quality diesel with 500ppm sulphur. About 1000KM ago, I did a liqui moly diesel purge (first time), which restore the smoothness and the power of the engine, after that I have been adding 2 bottles of injector cleaner. The car has been really smooth and throttle response is good, i feel the power is restored. Eversince, I have been running shell diesel (maybe 50ppm sulfur and higher cetane) and the normal local diesel 1:3 ratio, just so that power is better and engine smoothness is better.

Today, I mix 200ML of shell advance sx (JASO FB) with about 35L of diesel, at first I feel that power is a bit less, but after some driving around, the biggest improvement is the smoothness of the engine. I drove around city/highway for about 80 KM today, the difference is the smoothness and response of the engine is ASTOUNDING (This is after I feel my engine is smooth after the diesel purge).

As some previous poster said in this thread, scarry smooth. Its keep getting smoother, small increase in throttle can be feeled as the response is smoother. All the engine vibration that I felt in my back and seat are 80% gone, at once i thought the engine died since the vibration is less and less, just the vibration in the legs or anywhere near the engine. When i feel its already smooth, it keeps getting smoother is scary.

I dont think anyone will believe until they experience this themselves. It was such a positive difference after the diesel purge, but this time, its NIGHT AND DAY. Now i can feel there is a small vibration from the brakes when previously its masked by the engine.

What some poster said about 'weird vibration' is also true, there are some odd vibration that I never felt happened a couple of time in the first 40KM, not much, but I tried to feel everything I was worried i did the wrong thing adding the 2SO after initially the engine feels more sluggish, but after 10KM, I called a fellow enthusiast to let how it goes Wink

Thank you all, I will report again sometime in the future.

Kind regards,

Ben

Post #188671 22nd Jun 2013 6:50 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

200 ml to 35litre isn't the ratio advised, it's from memory 300ml to 68litres

Made no difference to mine when I tried it, but if you think it does then carry on Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #188674 22nd Jun 2013 7:01 pm
DandyLandy

2013 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Fuji White
LR will void your warranty of 2SO is blended in

Land Rover will void your vehicle's warranty if they find traces of unapproved additives in your vehicle's fuel lines, injectors, etc. I have this in writing from LR HQ in SA. "With regards to the fuel additives, we do not recommend the use of this as it will change the standard content of the fuel which our vehicles have been designed and adapted to use in the SA market. The use of fuel additives is solely at the customers discretion and can affect the vehicles warranty should a fuel sample be necessary for analysis due to a relevant failure."

I have noted with interest the debate regarding the use of additives in general and tw-stroke oil in particular. It seems that the jury is still out on that with regard to the scientific aspects, but I have been informed by various vehicle manufacturers that they will not honour their warranties should non-apporved fuel and/or additives be used.

Various qualified engineers working in either the energy sector or the automotive industry in Germany, Sweden, the United Kingdom and here in South Africa were astonished by this practice and have discouraged it. When industry experts, without exception, frown upom this practice, one has to question its origins and relevance to engineering standards.

The energy companies maintain that they blend in the correct additives in the appropriate ratios when producing fuel. Additives can only serve to upset that balance.

Manufacturers maintain that the blending in of 2SO with Diesel fuel will negatively affect injectors and also the catalytic converter and DPF. Once again, please note that the use of non-apporved additives may result in warranties be voided. Readers are advised to adhere to their vehicles' manuals rather than advice from third parties who will not accept responsibility should something go wrong. Following these practices (medieval witchcraft in my opinion) is based upon unproven, untested theories. Many would say that Charlie or Sammy has been using it in his Hilux for 240,000km now and he suffered no damage. The reliability of the Hilux's engine is then ascribed to the use of two-stroke oil. That is a rather silly approach as the same vehicle most likely would have rendered excellent service without the additive as well. Instead, what we need is a properly funded reserach project done by Gerotek or similar. There has to be controlled testing and a control group.

I have friends in the UK and Germany who have been involved in the petroleum industry for 35 and 50 years respectively. Between them, they are on first-name terms with owners of very large multi-national oil companies and they know the industry inside-out. One of these is a petrochemical engineer who also is qualified in accounting and he also holds a MBA degree. He has commissioned a number of oil wells and refineries producing REBCO, BLCO and FOCADOS, for instance. He has been involved in these projects from feasibility and impact studies right through production phases and I think that he knows a bit more than the mechanic down the road from you. The other has been consulting for governments in Western Europe as well as to large oil companies in the USA and Canada. These people know oil and leave nothing to specualtion but deal with factual science. Their has to be good reason why the doubt the wisdom of using 2SO in modern Diesel engines.

Another myth: "sulphur is a lubricant." That is not true; what happens is that, when sulphur is removed from Diesel fuel, the Diesel loses some of its lubricity. Oil companies blend in the correct additives in the proper ratios to allow for this. Sulphur will cause corrosion and do nothing to save your vehicle's engine. This is why 5,000km oil changes were needed in the past. If 2SO held any value as a Diesel additive, be sure that oil companies would have promoted it as such. They will not miss out on a marketing opportunity like this without good reason.

It always is advisable to adhere to a vehicle's warranty terms & conditions and to its owner's manual. It makes no financial sense to void a warranty just because you believe in Santa, the Tooth Fairy and 2SO. Idea

Post #188715 23rd Jun 2013 10:15 am
DandyLandy

defkalion wrote:
yf Thumbs Up
However, are you saying that diesel owners should add some 2-stroke oil whenever they fill up their tanks, or should do that every now and then? Doesn't this affect other parts of the engine? How about cars without a c-pdf?

It is the worst possible medieval practice promoted by people who have not done research and who also may lead others down a vertical cliff. Don't ever do this unless you have it pre-approved by landRover in writing - not from a service station but from the manufacturer.

Post #188721 23rd Jun 2013 10:36 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Thank you DandyLandy for your knowledgable input

Obviously some will ignore but hopefully it will save others a misfortune Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #188731 23rd Jun 2013 11:25 am
issus

United Kingdom 

[quote="DandyLandy"]

defkalion wrote:
yf Thumbs Up
................................ Don't ever do this unless you have it pre-approved by landRover in writing - not from a service station but from the manufacturer.

If you had bothered to read Yamaha's thread I doubt if you would have come up with such outlandish comments/ views. In theory you can run your diesel engine entirely on 2s without any ill effects. For those with DPF you just need to use the recommended grade and dose. The only reason we don't use 2s is purely based on cost - at approx £6/ltr!! Best quality diesel in the UK is approx £1.50/litre Laughing
There is no way LR or even BMW could trace use of 250ml of 2s in a full tank of Diesel - as the s2 additive fully combines with the diesel....again read Yamaha's thread on this and/or least "Google it" for technical info on the internal "mixing" properties. Your message and earlier messages are deeply misleading and full of unsupported doomsday claims. Only come back on this subject when you have a clearer understanding of the subject and better appreciation of Yamaha's views on the use of 2s. Up the Cobblers

Last edited by issus on 23rd Jun 2013 4:17 pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #188732 23rd Jun 2013 11:26 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
npinks

United Kingdom 

@ issus, it's clearly a personal statement the Deflakon has state and quite warrented one regarding warranty. just like YF and everybody else claim that 2SO benefits the engine, unless "your" the one with the so called proof which we are all wait upon all these year down the line Rolling Eyes

So don't tell others not to return unless they have a better understanding of YF views unless you can prove he isn't Exclamation Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #188733 23rd Jun 2013 11:46 am
Paul

Belgium 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

"If 2SO held any value as a Diesel additive, be sure that oil companies would have promoted it as such"

Well, I'm sure that oil companies would NEVER admit this, nor the car manufacturers as they would admit there's something wrong with the diesel they sell resp. the cars they make are not appropriate for the diesel that is on the market.

Post #188736 23rd Jun 2013 12:06 pm
issus

United Kingdom 

npinks wrote:
@ issus, it's clearly a personal statement the Deflakon has state and quite warrented one regarding warranty. just like YF and everybody else claim that 2SO benefits the engine, unless "your" the one with the so called proof which we are all wait upon all these year down the line Rolling Eyes

So don't tell others not to return unless they have a better understanding of YF views unless you can prove he isn't Exclamation

Fine but don't take my comments out of context - I only suggested that the messager in question (not others) should only comment on this thread when their opinions are more informed and certainly with less bombastic and pompous view points.
Regarding your comments in the first para "so called proof " - the only proof I can offer is that 2s is £6/ltr hence the reason why BMWS,FL etc do not use it - perhaps this maybe a no brainer! As I understand it diesel's will run on 2s without any mishap - its just the price which deters us! Up the Cobblers

Post #188743 23rd Jun 2013 12:57 pm
DandyLandy

issus wrote:
npinks wrote:

So don't tell others not to return unless they have a better understanding of YF views unless you can prove he isn't Exclamation

Fine but don't take my comments out of context - I only suggested that the messager in question (not others) should only comment on this thread when their opinions are more informed and certainly with less bombastic and pompous view points.
Regarding your comments in the first para "so called proof " - the only proof I can offer is that 2s is £6/ltr hence the reason why BMWS,FL etc do not use it - perhaps this maybe a no brainer! As I understand it diesel's will run on 2s without any mishap - its just the price which deters us!

Oil companies already blend in the correct additives, some of which is found in 2SO as well. By adding 2SO, you risk overdosing and this can affect combustion patterns and temperatures.

It is one thing to do this, which is anyone's personal choice. It is a different thing, altogether, to advise others to do it. Don't underestimate forensic labs, either.

Anyone stating the opposite of what LandRover is stating officially, is not a good brand ambassador as you imply ignorance on the side of their engineers. Surely those who design, build and test these vehicles know better than Joe Public?

I have been rdearching this for many years now. It seems quite likely that a fair portion of the global Toyota D-4D injector problem can be attributed to owners who had used 2SO and similar additives. 2SO may have been good for your old W123 Merc but not for a modern CRD. Injectors and DPF are at risk.

Users of 2SO: Do as you please but don't lead others astray.

Post #188754 23rd Jun 2013 2:19 pm
cressus_66

Romania 

Seems to be a "oficial version bullshit".
What's this:
http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/produkt...db=web.nsf ?
A big company product...
Nice Dreams! Life is very hard but...good news...she's running like hell

Post #188757 23rd Jun 2013 2:52 pm
issus

United Kingdom 

[quote="DandyLandy"][quote="issus"]

npinks wrote:
@

Oil companies already blend in the correct additives, some of which is found in 2SO as well. By adding 2SO, you risk overdosing and this can affect combustion patterns and temperatures.........total tosh

It is one thing to do this, which is anyone's personal choice. It is a different thing, altogether, to advise others to do it

I am not advising others to use 2s or imply that they should. It has to be their choice

....what LandRover is stating officially, is not a good brand ambassador as you imply ignorance on the side of their engineers..........certainly do not imply ignorance by LR Designers - after all they designed a fine vehicle.

Users of 2SO: Do as you please but don't lead others astray.

- This is the point of the whole exercise people can experiment as they wish ...it is their choice Rolling Eyes . I don't appreciate your last few words ...........I do not lead people astray on the use of 2s either by intent or by implication. If readers wish to try 2s as outlined in Yamaha's opening thread that is their choice and only then can they weigh up the benefits. It appears to have benefits. Adding 2s oil to Diesels in small doses has been common practice by Taxi Drivers for many years

If you can come off your high hobby horse and appreciate that people are free to experiment at their own risk and take a more flexible view of the 2s situation by pointing out the pro's as well as the con's you may achieve more than the doomsday scenario you imply Whistle . Up the Cobblers

Last edited by issus on 23rd Jun 2013 3:58 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #188768 23rd Jun 2013 3:42 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

Lets not turn it in to a heated argument again, this threads has had to be pulled before due to this happening Exclamation Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #188769 23rd Jun 2013 3:48 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 66 of 93 <123 ... 656667 ... 919293>