Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Bike carrier suggestions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Hicksy

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

Jc74 I'm currently thinking of a witter quick release tow fitted by p f jones,for around £400 plus a Thule bike rack both for around £700 p f jones been recommend to me from this site , might be worth a look 

Click image to enlarge

Freelander gone
Audi sold
Volvo xc60 r design coming

Post #155011 18th Sep 2012 10:00 am
Pedro

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Galway Green

I use Thule Slide Bars on the roof for mounting cycle carriers and they are the mut's nuts !! FL2 HSE Auto Galway Green
Evoque SD4 Auto Blue.
FL1 HSE TD4 Manual Black - Gone.
RR Classic V8 EFI - Gone

Post #155013 18th Sep 2012 10:52 am
jc74

Hicksy wrote:
Jc74 I'm currently thinking of a witter quick release tow fitted by p f jones,for around £400 plus a Thule bike rack both for around £700 p f jones been recommend to me from this site , might be worth a look

Thanks.
Although substantially cheaper than the almost £1200 I was quoted, it's still pretty steep at £700. Which is the witter? - I couldn't find it on the site.

http://www.pfjones.co.uk/tow-bars/towbars-...der-2.html

Has anyone here even attempted to fit their own towbar? - Flange, swan neck - all very confusing(!) -
Is there any reason why I shouldn't just buy the cheapest Titan towbar on the website at £77 and fit it myself?..

Unfortunately judging from the fact that I might not keep the car for longer than another 1-2 years, I'm a bit hesistant on spending so much on something which is to be used occasionally and will effectively be lost and hence why I was swaying towards the rear mounted ones....

Post #155029 18th Sep 2012 1:41 pm
F70100

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

I've just had a Witter detachable flange towbar delivered after ordering from pfjones.co.uk .

Total cost for the parts, delivery, fitting at my home and recodiing the vehicle electrics/computer is £590.

We wanted a detachable towbar to avoid banging shins when not actually towing (95% of the time), and a flange type towbar so that we may choose to fit a Witter (ZX88 or ZX89) bike rack at some time in the future. With this arrangement, you can tow and carry the bikes at the same time. Also, it allows for the ball height to be adjusted, should it ever be necessary Wink

We chose to specify the dedicated Freelander wiring adapter rather than a generic adapter to try to ensure that the rear parking sensors and bulb failure logic (which the recoding deals with) has the best chance to work properly.

Can't show any pictures yet.. We collect the car on friday and have booked the towbar fitting for the following monday. If anyone is interested, I'll take some and post.

I think the mechanical part of fitting a towbar must be relatively straightforward if you have the tools (including torque wrench) but I suspect the electrics might be less straightforward.

We also found that www.witter-towbars.co.uk takes you to the Witter site where prices incude fitting but don't give as many options for the electrics.

www.pfjones.co.uk prices don't include fitting unless you phone and ask for it.

www.witter-towbar.co.uk also takes you to a PF Jones website......... 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE.

Post #155059 18th Sep 2012 5:44 pm
Barton Freelander

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Lago Grey

I have Thule 9103 which fits perfect on the freelander I would be willing to sell it for £60 as it no longer fits my Evoque.buyer must collect. Freelander2 GS TD4 Manual in Lago Grey Smile .Roof Mount DVD 9.2''Screen~Window Tints~Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth~Retro Fit Sony Satnav~iPhone Dashmount~Side Steps~Woodco Armrest~Mudflaps~Land Rover Sunglass Holder~LED Interior Lights~Private Plate.Evoque Collected 17th Sept 2012.

Also Audi TT Roadster.Smile

Post #155094 18th Sep 2012 10:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Can't speak for the after market wiring loom, but the LR genuine item just plugs in under the boot floor in the wheel well. easier than fitting the mechanical bits. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #155105 18th Sep 2012 11:13 pm
jc74

Barton Freelander wrote:
I have Thule 9103 which fits perfect on the freelander I would be willing to sell it for £60 as it no longer fits my Evoque.buyer must collect.

An interesting option. But Wittons cycles sells it new for £60.. Wink

http://www.wittons.co.uk/product_info.php?...B001P8241E

Post #155114 19th Sep 2012 7:37 am
jc74

F70100 wrote:
I've just had a Witter detachable flange towbar delivered after ordering from pfjones.co.uk .

Total cost for the parts, delivery, fitting at my home and recodiing the vehicle electrics/computer is £590.

We wanted a detachable towbar to avoid banging shins when not actually towing (95% of the time), and a flange type towbar so that we may choose to fit a Witter (ZX88 or ZX89) bike rack at some time in the future. With this arrangement, you can tow and carry the bikes at the same time. Also, it allows for the ball height to be adjusted, should it ever be necessary Wink

We chose to specify the dedicated Freelander wiring adapter rather than a generic adapter to try to ensure that the rear parking sensors and bulb failure logic (which the recoding deals with) has the best chance to work properly.

Can't show any pictures yet.. We collect the car on friday and have booked the towbar fitting for the following monday. If anyone is interested, I'll take some and post.

I think the mechanical part of fitting a towbar must be relatively straightforward if you have the tools (including torque wrench) but I suspect the electrics might be less straightforward.

We also found that www.witter-towbars.co.uk takes you to the Witter site where prices incude fitting but don't give as many options for the electrics.

www.pfjones.co.uk prices don't include fitting unless you phone and ask for it.

www.witter-towbar.co.uk also takes you to a PF Jones website.........

Thanks for the information. Maybe I shouldn't be fitting it myself if lots of wiring is involved!...

Definitely please send some pictures as well as the overall experience of it all once it's been done. Would be very interested to see.

Post #155115 19th Sep 2012 7:43 am
Hicksy

F70100 I would be interested in seeing some photos, can you only fit cycle carriers to flanged type ? 

Click image to enlarge

Freelander gone
Audi sold

Post #155121 19th Sep 2012 11:16 am
Hicksy

Just edited this, posted twice wanted to delete it not sure how to 

Click image to enlarge

Freelander gone
Audi sold

Post #155122 19th Sep 2012 11:17 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

if you know you have double posted, check the blue bar below the post, there might be a X on there to delete the post, EDIT X QUOTE

but this goes as soon after a while or when someone posts another reply Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #155128 19th Sep 2012 12:28 pm
chapsworth

2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Baltic Blue

I fitted a towbar myself to my FL1 which was reasonably straightforward. My FL2 already had one fitted, otherwise I would have had a go myself.

I personally don't like the ones that attach to the rear door. I've got one that I used on a previous car and it seems a lot of weight to hang from the rear door.

I currently use a MaxxRaxx which is bomb proof. Just been to Scotland and back with two bikes on and you don't even know they are there. It will take 4 no problem. It is future proof having originally bought it for my Discovery and used on the FL1 and 2.

Post #155129 19th Sep 2012 12:33 pm
leorocco

2013 Freelander 2 i6 SE Auto Galway Green
Need advice

Hi guys,
I bought my FL2 like 1 month ago and asked the dealer to install a tow bar without much specification. They installed the genuine quick release tow bar , here is an image:

Click image to enlarge

That is fine, however now I realized that if I want to install the genuine bike carrier (
Click image to enlarge
) it will be only compatible with the fixed height tow bar, the one in this image:

Click image to enlarge

What would be my best shot with this then ? Install a third party bike carrier using the quick release tow bar ? Will I have any trouble with this ? I've seen some Thule bike carriers that attach directly to the bolt, in that case the only bad thing would be that I'm not going to be able to take the bikes and tow something at the same time ??

Thank you very much for the help!..

Leo

[/img]

Post #155260 20th Sep 2012 7:57 pm
chapsworth

2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Baltic Blue

MaxxRaxx do a system for swan neck tow bars.

Post #155400 22nd Sep 2012 7:53 am
F70100

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Bali Blue

It might be easier if we define some things first.

Bike racks are either "tray types", which have a hitch which clamps onto the towball, or "post types" which have a plate to which a socket is welded, and the post fits into the socket.

Towbars are either "swan necked" (like the one in the first image in the post above), or "flanged" (like the one in the third image). Both swan necked and flange type towbars are available as either fixed or detachable. Whether they are fixed or detachable doesn't affect which type of bike rack can be fitted.

The tray type of rack can be fitted to any type of towball (but you either fit that rack or your trailer, you cant fit both at the same time). The post type of rack can only be fitted to a flanged type towball. The bike rack plate is bolted between the flange on the towing bracket and the towball itself. In this instance, the actual towball remains available for a trailer to be hitched on.

When considering which rack to purchase, you might like to think about lighting/numberplate issues. Post type racks often require a seperate lighting board to be fixed on somewhere. Tray type rack often have a lighting board incorporated. 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE.

Post #155403 22nd Sep 2012 8:32 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>