Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Free of charge winter tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
npinks

United Kingdom 

there is nothing to say a winter tyre can not be used outside of winter (not that i have seen anyway), so they might wear quicker and maybe not corner or stop as good as a high end summer tyre

BUT, there is no rule to say you can't put the biggest and cheapest pile of cack summer tyre on your car which wouldn't be anywhere near as good as a high end summer tyre, but yet a winter tyre may out perform these.

if it meets or exceeds the ratings then i don't think the insurance company could do anything about it as the ratings are not just winter ratings they are just ratings. Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #117414 19th Oct 2011 9:37 am
Reeventu

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

There is a rule that says tyres must be to a certain standard and I agree that some are not as good as others and as you say a winter tyre MAY be better than some cheaper brands, but that is not my question.

A winter tyre is defined as just that a ' winter tyre' and we all know that insurance companies are past masters at wriggling.

So a winter tyre known to be less good at temperatures above 7deg , used in the ' summer period ' whatever that is could give rise to wriggle room , maybe.

Post #117415 19th Oct 2011 9:46 am
ChrisSoutham

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver

Surely the opposite would apply when driving a 'summer' tyre in winter, and yet virtually everyone does that.

Post #117417 19th Oct 2011 10:07 am
Reeventu

ChrisSoutham wrote:
Surely the opposite would apply when driving a 'summer' tyre in winter, and yet virtually everyone does that.

Very true BUT they are fitted by the manufacturers Winter tyres are not ( in the UK )

Post #117418 19th Oct 2011 10:10 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

ring your insurance company up and ask Idea Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #117419 19th Oct 2011 10:19 am
Reeventu

npinks wrote:
ring your insurance company up and ask Idea

Perhaps you could refer to my original post Confused

Post #117420 19th Oct 2011 10:24 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

Rolling Eyes the fact is it doesn't matter what anybody else thinks or their insurers, unless your insurers think the same

Ask them what they class as winter periods, i'm sure it will be the same as what your calender says is classed as winter

there you go you have my comments and my previous post (observations) Thumbs Up Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #117421 19th Oct 2011 10:31 am
garyd

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Reeventu wrote:
ChrisSoutham wrote:

Very true BUT they are fitted by the manufacturers Winter tyres are not ( in the UK )

Censored ,,,
Dose this mean we have to use the same brand and type of tyre on the car forever.?

can i still use my slicks in the winter ?? So much fun!!!

Post #117444 19th Oct 2011 3:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Reeventu

garyd wrote:
Reeventu wrote:
ChrisSoutham wrote:

Censored ,,,
Dose this mean we have to use the same brand and type of tyre on the car forever.?

can i still use my slicks in the winter ?? So much fun!!!

From your commet YOU could do whatever you like Laughing

Post #117446 19th Oct 2011 3:49 pm
bigalf1961

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Lago Grey

why do you want winter tyres you have own one of the best 4wd vehicles on the market m&s are perfectly ok for snow driving in winter here is a question do you see the army changing its tyres for the seasons,no do you see the emergency services changing tyres for winter no Exclamation so thank your parents dont bee a Sheep and if you need new tyres get m&s ive worked in the motor trade most of my life if you own a merc or a bmw then changing the tyres for winter ones are not going to help very mutch its just another way go getting you to part with your dosh Thumbs Up rainy-city
xs

Post #117485 20th Oct 2011 5:19 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

bigalf1961 wrote:
why do you want winter tyres you have own one of the best 4wd vehicles on the market m&s are perfectly ok for snow driving in winter here is a question do you see the army changing its tyres for the seasons,no do you see the emergency services changing tyres for winter no Exclamation so thank your parents dont bee a Sheep and if you need new tyres get m&s ive worked in the motor trade most of my life if you own a merc or a bmw then changing the tyres for winter ones are not going to help very mutch its just another way go getting you to part with your dosh Thumbs Up

As I said in other posts I already had M+S Wranglers on mine and they were superb last winter and couldn't afford winter tyres so if it wasn't for this kind offer I wouldn't have bothered. Throughout though I have always acknowledged that winter tyres are better in snow and ice due to the tread and the rubber being able to resist colder temps etc.

There are other members with greater knowledge who would doubtless offer a more detailed reason on the benefits such as braking. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #117502 20th Oct 2011 10:10 am
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

bigalf1961 wrote:
why do you want winter tyres you have own one of the best 4wd vehicles on the market m&s are perfectly ok for snow driving in winter here is a question do you see the army changing its tyres for the seasons,no do you see the emergency services changing tyres for winter no Exclamation so thank your parents dont bee a Sheep and if you need new tyres get m&s ive worked in the motor trade most of my life if you own a merc or a bmw then changing the tyres for winter ones are not going to help very mutch its just another way go getting you to part with your dosh Thumbs Up

Stopping almost 2 tons of weight. Particulary on a downhill slope. No other reason.
My Mrs MX5 stops quicker on snow than my FL2 when fitted with road tyres. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #117589 21st Oct 2011 12:26 am
Reeventu

npinks wrote:

Their reply , in writing was short and to the point , but stll did not answer the real qustion about summer use !!

The reply was ,

winter tyres are in order.

That was it !! Rolling Eyes

Post #117637 21st Oct 2011 3:27 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Reeventu wrote:
npinks wrote:

Their reply , in writing was short and to the point , but stll did not answer the real qustion about summer use !!

The reply was ,

winter tyres are in order.

That was it !! Rolling Eyes

When I rang AXA they told me it isn't even classed as a modification so they don't need to know at all but for peace of mind they noted it on the computer that I have fitted some. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #117650 21st Oct 2011 5:46 pm
Pedro

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Galway Green

bigalf1961 wrote:

It is a fact that winter tyres are optimised for lower temperatures and it is a fact that they will give you reduced stopping distances, better grip and up to 40 % reduced wear rates during the winter months. In my experince of driving a 2WD Porsche for 9 years, including 2 living in Germany, i can definitely tell you that I never had grip problems on snow and wear rates on my winter set AND my summer set were both drastically reduced as I was using the tyres in their optimised conditions. As a result, even taking into account the initial outlay, the extra winter set more than paid for themselves and actually saved me a lot of money Thumbs Up Thumbs Up !!

Post #117673 21st Oct 2011 7:34 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>