Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Free of charge winter tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

We only get a problem with the insurance company if we DONT use winter tyres from the 1st November. Which basically means it is illegal to use summer tyres after this date. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #117680 21st Oct 2011 8:19 pm
Reeventu

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

It took a while to get it in writing but this is from my insurers via the broker.

In my case I need to be aware of the possible need to change tyres as per season , but the dates are still not clear.

As I suspected a definate get out for my insurer at least!!!

Quote,

We refer to your recent enquiry regarding winter tyres and would like to detail the Insurers response as follows:

Thank you for your memo dated 24 October 2011 regarding winter tyres. I have read our mutual ctients comments (Mr Reeve) and would like to provide a response as requested. Please accept our apologies for the delay in replying.

At Highway, we recognise that many of our policyhotders may fit 'cold weather/winter' tyres to their vehicles in order to improve traction/handling and stopping in cold/winter weather. Our general approach to covering these tyres is that we would cover them at normal terms, as we would any change of tyre to a different manufacturer, providing they are appropriate to the vehicle and fulfil the legal requirments" i.e. tread depth). lf the size of the wheel changes, this too should be advised although it is unlikely that there would be any financial impact on the premium if the size is reduced slightly.

With regards to when these can be fitted to a vehicle, this is not documented as far as I am aware or indeed a legal requirement, however it would be expected that 'specific' cold weather/winter tyres should only be fitted during the winter months. lf an incident occurred where the tyres may have contributed towards the incident then this would be taken into account with regards to any claims investigation/engineers report. lt doesn't necessarily mean that a claim would be repudiated purely on the grounds that winter tyres were fitted; however it may (in some situations) affect the amount that is paid out if there is evidence that the damage could have been reduced if the correct tyres were fitted. That said, this would be the same approach for any brand of tyre, not just specific to cold weather/winter tyres (i.e. insufficient tread, inappropriate tyres for the conditions).

ln general, we would look favourable on someone who is willing to fit winter tyres to their vehicle although common sense must prevail with regards to their use and when they are fitted.

If you have any further queries, please let us know.

Post #119508 7th Nov 2011 4:14 pm
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

just really says you should ensure you are driving correctly for the road conditions.

Including using appropriate, and suitable, tyres for the weather conditions.

So using snow tyres on a summer day would not be suitable as would near slicks in snow 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #119510 7th Nov 2011 4:29 pm
MikeM46

United Kingdom 

The "debate" about winter tyres twixt the motor insurance companies trade body, the motoring organisations and even the Government should have been done & dusted last winter & I took a very active part in that for my VW California campervan.

But interesting to note that at least in my 2009 handbook (April 2010 TD4e HSE) there is specific mention of the possibility of fitting winter tyres if so desired. I read that as approval from the manufacturer (provided of course one fits the correct tyre size & winter rating) leaving any insurance compoany with very little legs to stand on to argue against their fitment.

Post #119594 8th Nov 2011 2:50 am
athelstan

In Switzerland it is simple.
Firstly please note that studded winter tyres are illegal for use on Swiss roads.

The "winter months" are considered to be normally November to end March.If you have an accident during these months and you are not using "winter" tyres the following will happen:
a) Your insurer will amend their contract liability and reduce any claim appropriately
b) Your "risk" assessment will be increased to impact upon future premiums
c) The police will increase any fine or other penalty appropriate to the incident

Note: The motorist is also expected to put on "winter" tyres earlier in the year, or, keep them on after March should winter weather conditions prevail. However common sense does prevail if a freak snow storm occurs in July.

There is no statutory legal obligation to fit winter tyres at any time of the year or under any weather conditions in Switzerland. It is just that failure to respond to prevailing weather conditions will result in the above severe financial and legal repercussions here in CH, as will accidents involving 2WD vehicles that do not additionally have snow chains fitted where the traffic road signs indicate that SC's must be fitted.

Finally, strictly in accordance with the law this last subject (snow chains) also applies to 4WD vehicles, however it is generally acknowledged that a 4WD vehicle fitted with winter tyres is exempt (none of my neighbours carry or fit snow chains to their 4WDs and neither do I. But - don't push your luck in a 4x4 and get stuck on a section of road that is signed for snow chains, you may just meet that job's worthy policeman!

Post #119595 8th Nov 2011 8:14 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234