Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Free of charge winter tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
AndyC

Location: Where the snow dosen't melt when the sun is shining!

Norway 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

Dont want to get into a discusion about all season tyres, but would just like to mention for reference only Whistle that the Norwegian equivelent to AA/RAC do not reccomend using that type of tyre on any vehicle any more. This used to be a common alternative for those wanting just one set of tyres, but they are neither optimal for summer or winter use and often described as dangerous.

Maybe UK winters are less harsh than Scandinavian ones, but if it is the cost of owning two sets of season tyres, that is the deciding factor for not, then I would recommend one set of the best summer tyes and take a taxi on the worst winter days - much better and safer than the all season tyre alternative. 2007 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Manual with Premium Pack & Moonroof.
Stornoway Grey with Ebony Black Pleather, Clear Indicators, Body Side Mouldings etc.

Post #117147 17th Oct 2011 11:12 am
BrianAbbott

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Ipanema Sand

AndyC wrote:
Dont want to get into a discusion about all season tyres, but would just like to mention for reference only Whistle that the Norwegian equivelent to AA/RAC do not reccomend using that type of tyre on any vehicle any more. This used to be a common alternative for those wanting just one set of tyres, but they are neither optimal for summer or winter use and often described as dangerous.

Maybe UK winters are less harsh than Scandinavian ones, but if it is the cost of owning two sets of season tyres, that is the deciding factor for not, then I would recommend one set of the best summer tyes and take a taxi on the worst winter days - much better and safer than the all season tyre alternative.

The reality is that in the UK most vehicles have summer tyres on for 12 months of the year Sheep . And there is resistance to the idea of having two sets of wheels (though after the last two winters people are slowly coming round Thumbs Up ).

I do agree that 2 sets is the best option. But if you only have one set all year (and in the real world taking a taxi is a non-starter!) the all-season tyres seem to me a much better bet than summer tyres. Brian

MY11 FL2 SD4 GS
Extras to same spec as XS apart from the Satnav, plus Xenons.
Ipenema Sand, Ebony.

Post #117148 17th Oct 2011 11:23 am
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

alex_pescaru wrote:
I have a vague impression that CG comment was somehow ironic, based on your strong conviction that you are quite OK on winter with only all-season tires...

Actually, you are 'ok' with M+S tyres as I proved last winter but throughout my posts I have always accepted that winter tyres offer superior performance and would be a lot more than 'ok'. I was not prepared to pay for something I could not afford but since this very kind offer has come forward, I thought I would look into it more carefully. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #117159 17th Oct 2011 1:44 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

I have telephoned a few places and this kind offer from my parents does have limits. The Goodyears are £177 each Shocked

Vredestein wintracs are looking good at £117 each including fitting

Avon Ranger Ice £144 including fitting - Not heard of these but are good apparently LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #117160 17th Oct 2011 1:55 pm
druand

Scotland 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Fuji White

All vehicles at Land Rover Experience use original equipment tyres at all times. I have been to Dunkeld twice and driven FL2 both times.
January 2010 the course was 100% covered snow, hard packed snow and ice, the OE tyres coped no problem. Likewise 2 weeks ago ground saturated with long wet spells and again OE tyres perfect.
The same weekend I drove 60+ miles through Perthshire forrests as closing car for Colin Mcrae Rally, 100 cars had been through before me, the torrential rain never stopped, water logged roads, deep mud, slime, ruts, you name it the FL coped using Goodyear Wrangler M+S, standard original equipment tyres.
In the service area tractors were towing vehicles in and out, vans, cars, and some 4x4's were struggling, no Land Rovers reqd assistance. All FL2's (3) Gone
2011 Mercedes C180 CGI Gone
FL2 GS Auto SD with heated leather, factory tints, alloy spare and a few other bits.

Post #117169 17th Oct 2011 2:56 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Just had a quote of £120 inc fitting for Goodyear Ultra Grip! That is the best deal yet considering what Goodyear achieved in the auto express test.

Hmmm.... LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #117185 17th Oct 2011 4:12 pm
ChrisSoutham

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver

I'm intrigued where you guys go to get tyres.
I can't for love nor money find anyone to supply me with (ideally) Goodyear Wrangler AT/SA 235/65/R17 108Vs.
Have tried everywhere I can think of, and even other brands and types seem to be unavailable...

@The Doctor :Where do you get the quote for the Goodyears?

Post #117186 17th Oct 2011 4:15 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Goodyear quote was from Kirkby Tyres, Notts LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #117187 17th Oct 2011 4:19 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

CANCEL THE ABOVE GOODYEAR QUOTE

The £120 was for Wintracs not Goodyear. My Dad got me that quote and got muddled up, Doh! LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #117188 17th Oct 2011 4:26 pm
Wing

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

ChrisSoutham wrote:
I'm intrigued where you guys go to get tyres.
I can't for love nor money find anyone to supply me with (ideally) Goodyear Wrangler AT/SA 235/65/R17 108Vs

Chris, I don't think they make the AT/SA tyre in 108V. I bought mine from my local tyre fitter after doing exactly what you are trying to do. He phoned around his suppliers for me and managed to find some, although it was around this time last year and stocks of most AT tyres were rapidly becoming as rare as rocking horse excrement at the time!

Good luck Thumbs Up

Post #117195 17th Oct 2011 5:02 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

IT'S A DONE DEAL Thumbs Up

The Vredesteins would have to be ordered in from abroad and nobody I rang could give a delivery date.

I have therefore gone for the £144 (£576 total inc fitting and VAT) Avon Ranger Ice. They will arrive tomorrow and will be fitted either tomorrow or the day after.

Here is the info on them: http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/4x4/ranger-ice LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby

Post #117196 17th Oct 2011 5:29 pm
trekntrail

Switzerland 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Sumatra Black

got a set of 5 vredesteins from clickontyres for £116 ea

Post #117219 17th Oct 2011 7:54 pm
v40mav

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Tambora Flame

trekntrail wrote:
got a set of 5 vredesteins from clickontyres for £116 ea

what tyre size - quote was about £170 each - 18" Disco 3 HSE

Defender Puma 110

Freelander 2 HSE

Post #117245 17th Oct 2011 9:16 pm
trekntrail

Switzerland 2011 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Sumatra Black

235/65 x17 got them a week ago

Post #117261 17th Oct 2011 10:45 pm
Reeventu

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

I was wondering about winter tyres and would like to ask if anyone has discussed this with there insurers.

I understand that they will not worry about make as long as specification is correct ( size , speed rating etc ) and I suspect the fitting of winter tyres in winter is again fine.

However if you leave those tyres on , outside of winter ( What do the insurers consider to be winter in the UK ?)and you have an accident would there be an argument as to their suitability and possible contrbution to the accident.

After all, we know they are better below 7 deg but what if it was over 7 deg and in March for example where we know stopping distances are greater on a winter tyre.

Comments or observations

Post #117413 19th Oct 2011 9:22 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>