« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Discovery Sport PHEV
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red
Discovery Sport PHEV

Anybody had any experience of the Discovery Sport PHEV ? It has a 3 cylinder "Ingenium" petrol engine I believe.
Does this engine suffer from the same oil dilution issues as the diesel Ingenium, or have any other known issues? Jules

Post #441675 17th May 2024 12:31 pm
Kot

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Petrol engines dont have a dpf so they dont have this problem

Post #441693 17th May 2024 9:39 pm
jules

Agreed they dont have a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) but AFAIK all new petrols engines now have particulate filters which work in some way to burn off soot and particulates.
I dont know how they work but I'm guessing fuel must be injected somewhere to burn and heat up the filter.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/...-problems- Jules

Post #441697 18th May 2024 12:51 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

As someone with a petrol DS I have done a lot of digging about this issue and the DS forums are full of DPF and timing chain issues caused by oil dilution but never a mention of the petrol ingenium engine. The DS DPF problems come from using the FL2 floorpan which meant that the DPF couldnt be positioned close to the exhaust manifold resulting in cooler gasses and oil dilution caused by the need to inject extra diesel on the exhaust stoke. in MY20 the facelift made the DS effectively a different car when the floorpan was changed to enable hybrids and apparently this has fixed the diesel problem for post 69 plates although the advice is to change your oil every year rather than 2yrs/21k recommended by JLR.
The petrol versions don't have a DPF of course but now incorporate a GPF but for two reasons this is OK, first of all the petrol exhaust is much hotter but secondly the particles get burned off whenever you lift your foot off the throttle as in this situation excess oxygen is available (the petrol differs from the diesel in that it is fed with just the correct amount of oxygen to ensure clean burning whereas the diesel runs lean but cooler). 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #441729 19th May 2024 9:36 am
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

What sort of mpg are you getting from the petrol DS? Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #441732 19th May 2024 9:55 am
dorsetfreelander

Only done about 3k miles since we got it but overall is coming in at about 32mpg. This is a mixture of motorway runs and local rural travel. It's am MHEV mild hybrid so should do better in town due to the regenerative braking. The amazing thing is that at 29k miles there is hardly any wear on the pads. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #441734 19th May 2024 10:53 am
jules

Thats encouraging.

Not buying anything yet as the FL2 is not causing any problems.

I was just looking at possible replacements - not many out there - but the later Disco Sport seems a potential.
Its made in the UK and has a spare wheel which are big plusses as far as SWMBO is concerned. Jules

Post #441737 19th May 2024 11:51 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I still haven't made up my mind about what to do as my Metro gets to its 10th Birthday.

It's booked in for the big 10year Service next Tuesday, and a lot depends on whether I can get another years Full Extended Warranty. (There is a month between the Warranty Renewal and the Metros 10th Birthday)

I did ask to loan a Discovery Sport PHEV for the day, but have only been offered a test drive, which I will take.

If I am deciding to change my Metro in the coming year I will also get a test drive of a Toyota RAV4 PHEV as I am drawn towards its very economic drivetrain, and general dimensions.

For either replacement I will be looking for one about 3 years old and finding it nationwide on AutoTrader Website. As my Metro is reliable, I can afford to put some 'saved searches' in the system and wait for the right one to appear. Remote (non seen) Dealer Buying seems to work, that is how I found my Metro after about 6 month wait.

One difference I have noted is that with the RAV4 there are no owner added extras, but with the DS it pays to examine each advert's pictures and text as many have extras that bring then up closer to the trim level above. With the DS PHEV model year21 and trims SE or HSE is the place to start.

On the downside I have found that insurance quotes are quite a step up from the FL2 and it is getting worse as I get older.

I may also consider the DS P250 (as 'Dorset' has in above post) FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 77k+ miles) (MY2015)
Metro in its 11th Year of (Extended) LR Warranty / Full LR Service History
(Expensive, but Trouble/Worry free - hopefully?)

Post #441802 22nd May 2024 9:44 am
jules

The DS PHEV has a 3 cylinder 1500cc petrol engine.
I wonder if its the same engine as the Ford Ecoboost 3 cylinder 1.5L as fitted to my Fiesta ST (Mk8) and just renamed "Ingenium" ? Jules

Post #441819 22nd May 2024 4:45 pm
tenet

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey

Dorset - did your car insurance go through the roof? You hear so many horror stories about insuring modern land rovers. MY 09 GS manual in Lago Grey, Wood Co arm rest and side bumper strips - now sold.

MY 15 SD4 SE Auto Orkney Grey with colour coded Bumper Door Mouldings

Post #441820 22nd May 2024 4:47 pm
jules

From what Ive read so far:
The DS PHEV has an EV range of around 30 miles , gets around 23mpg at a steady 70mph when using the ICE Shocked
You cannot do 4WD without the ICE running.

When in EV only mode its rear wheel drive only and front wheel drive when using the ICE. From a handling point of view you'd think that might take a bit of getting use to. Jules

Last edited by jules on 22nd May 2024 8:29 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #441821 22nd May 2024 4:51 pm
dorsetfreelander

My current DS insurance for a full year is about £630 (my FL2 would have been about half that) but it's coming up for renewal in August. That's for parked out on the drive but about 100yds from the road. Just had that security software recall update. Adding my 41yr old daughter as a named driver reduced it by about £60 so worth looking at that option. Not sure if it's still the case but horror stories about insurance for LandRover in London, Manchester etc and some people have complained that they have even been turned down by LandRover Insurance ! 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #441832 22nd May 2024 7:53 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Quote:

If I am deciding to change my Metro in the coming year I will also get a test drive of a Toyota RAV4 PHEV as I am drawn towards its very economic drivetrain, and general dimensions

Neighbour has one, he's disappointed by its range and fuel costs when it's running on petrol. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #441833 22nd May 2024 7:58 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

jules wrote:
From what Ive read so far:
The DS PHEV has an EV range of around 30 miles , gets around 23mpg at a steady 70mph when using the ICE Shocked
You cannot do 4WD without the ICE running.

When in EV only mode its rear wheel drive only and front wheel drive when using the ICE. From a handling point of view you'd think that might take a bit of getting use to.

Jules I note your points, I hope that they allow me to try things like accelerating out of a back road/lane quickly to join moving main road traffic, something the FL2 is good at.

This review leads me to expect to get about 33mpg on motorway cruise.

https://www.greencarguide.co.uk/car-review...id-review/

As Dorset has chosen, I think that if I don't like the DS PHEV, then the P250 may be the route to take ------ or keep my Metro ----- FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 77k+ miles) (MY2015)
Metro in its 11th Year of (Extended) LR Warranty / Full LR Service History
(Expensive, but Trouble/Worry free - hopefully?)

Post #441837 22nd May 2024 11:20 pm
jules

Yes, the FL2 is particularly good at a fast standing start, especially if the auto is in D with the EPB on.

From the review Ive read you can spin the rear wheels quite easily in EV only mode - I dont know how responsive the traction control is to a fast turn out of a T junction.

Decisions, decisions ! Jules

Post #441841 23rd May 2024 8:47 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>