Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Off Topic > Discovery Sport PHEV
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

My only experience of this type of Electric Rear Axle vehicle comes from an extended test drive many years ago of an early Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4, even though it had a lot less power it did squeak a bit as you accelerated out of a turning. The electric torque always arrived before the engine torque.
Also I was disappointed in its ability to go far or accelerate before the engine chimed in.
It was a good car, but we decided to go for the FL2.

I had noted that the RRS PHEV does start in 4 wheel drive and is a proper 4x4, but the price (and insurance) put it out of my range. Otherwise the post MY18 RRS would be my car of choice.

(I still may be deciding to keep my FL2 Metro, it does suit my style of driving) FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 77k+ miles) (MY2015)
Metro in its 11th Year of (Extended) LR Warranty / Full LR Service History
(Expensive, but Trouble/Worry free - hopefully?)

Post #441846 23rd May 2024 10:47 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

The Freelander is quick off the mark, furthermore considering its weight & the 100kg of crap I have permanently onboard. I don't use this feature often, but it is handy when required. Never spun a wheel, even on wet roads. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #441847 23rd May 2024 11:07 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Well my Metro has had it's 10th birthday present -- a £1k+ very expensive 10yr service --.

All went well and it passed it's MOT with no further work.

The High Level Stop Light decided to fail (it was working last week) but it seems that this did not even get an Advisory mention. -- I changed the lamp this morning, no real problem, the hardest bit was getting the Tailgate Interior trim back on -- although now on firmly, I am not convinced that one end has correctly located the upper lug. I made a point of cleaning and (bathroom) sealing the top edge of the Lens Fitting.

Now the reason that I have posted here -

I did NOT get my test drive in a DS PHEV, due to wrong instructions being given by Business Manager to Customer Reception Staff.
I arrived after a typical 75 minute, 15 mile, drive up the M5 (2 accidents over the Avon Bridge), so I was late a rushed. At the check in I explained what I had requested, and they went away to check and then said don't worry there is a note on my file and a vehicle had been allocated.
I carried on with my paperwork, and a Grey Discovery Sport arrived, through the glass, into the dispatch area.
At that moment I thought I was getting a DS PHEV for the day, however when I climbed into the car I noticed a Non-PHEV Instrument Panel, with a very Diesel-like 4-6kRPM Dial.
As I was already late to pick up my wife I decided to just leave in the DS D200 SE.
Going home got worse, I was stuck for over 2 hours on the motorway by a vehicle fire.

As for my impressions of the DS, It had no buttons and everything was on an enormous screen, about the size of my laptop. It was dangerous the search for actions whilst on the move and I never managed to find Cruise Control, although I did manage to 'resume' the Limit function by accident -- which was set to 20mph with alarming consequences -- luckily no-one behind me.

The D200 was quieter than my own Metro, and it had a huge array of Driving Sensors, which beeped and
alarmed, as well as tugging the steering. The D200 had plenty of go and I thought that the MPG was about the same, perhaps very slightly better, than my SD4. Also I think that the ride over bumps was quieter and a little smoother than my Metro. (both on 19inch rims)

I still prefer the FL2 seating position and view, by my reckoning your are at least 2-3 inches higher than the DS, and the windows are bigger. Because you look down on the Bonnet of the Metro it is far easier to position on our narrower roads, and the view rearwards is far superior.

All in all I was impressed by the ready power of the diesel, and the need (advantages) of the PHEV are starting to wane.

PS I had a better journey back up the M5 and was only delayed about 15 mins by the normal post-bank holiday return home. (It would help me greatly if you all went on holiday somewhere else) FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 77k+ miles) (MY2015)
Metro in its 11th Year of (Extended) LR Warranty / Full LR Service History
(Expensive, but Trouble/Worry free - hopefully?)

Post #441983 29th May 2024 5:43 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12