Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Refitting road wheels to opposite sides of the same axle
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
topaz

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Mauritius Blue
Refitting road wheels to opposite sides of the same axle

According to the LR service schedule it advises that the road wheels, after removal are refitted to opposite sides of the same axle.

The wear on my tyres are 6mm on the front and 7mm on the rear. Very Happy

Is it advisable to swap the front wheels with the rear wheels to have the greater tyre depth on the front.

Post #218626 5th Mar 2014 10:15 am
Iliacus

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey

I have heard of swapping front to rear to equalise wear but never side to side. I have been told that once a radial tyre has been used it shouldn't be refitted to rotate in the opposite direction.

I did swap front to back once on a Volvo and it felt terrible. I went back to the fitter who said he wasn't surprised and swapped them back for me (for a small charge Smile ) which curred the problem. GONE - '07 TD4 GS manual Zermatt Silver
LONG GONE - '55 Norton Dominator 99 SS cafe racer

Post #218632 5th Mar 2014 10:48 am
topaz

What you say Iliacus makes sense and refitting road wheels to opposite sides of the same axle should not be done if you have uni-directional tyres fitted.

I have Goodyear Wranglers so not sure if they are uni-directional or not and do not know how to find out. Maybe some techie on here will come up with the answer.

Post #218667 5th Mar 2014 5:23 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

They will have an arrow on them with the word 'direction' or 'rotation' on them next to the arrow. The arrow must point in the direction the wheel will rotate when rolling forwards. They can only be swapped to the other side if removed from rims, rotated and then refitted. The other tyres may be asymmetric and will have 'outside' marked on them which must face the, errr, outside of the vehicle. They can be swapped to the other side with no problems. Any tyres with no markings are symmetric and can also be swapped from side to side with no problems. Just make sure you don't have a uni directional tyre as your spare - you've only got a 50/50 chance of being able to use it legally! Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #218671 5th Mar 2014 5:49 pm
topaz

Brilliant, thanks for the good infor and advice Thumbs Up

Post #218673 5th Mar 2014 6:03 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Steve D - what's your evidence for using a unidirectional tyre the wrong way round being illegal? I've never seen any legislation to that effect (and in fact it's more or less standard practice in the army, owing to the incompetence of the fitters...).
I would agree that radial tyres can become "handed" once fitted - I once cured a steering problem by simply swapping the front tyres round.
And no I wouldn't swap front to back on this occasion, as the best tyres should always be on the back.

Post #218694 5th Mar 2014 8:21 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Well, as an MOT tester I know a car will definitely not pass an MOT test with a uni directional or asymmetrical tyre fitted not in accordance with the manufacturers markings on the sidewall and I'm assuming that would make it illegal. Can't quote the exact law that would be broken, if any. I do know that cars can pass the mot test but still be illegal the minute they go on the road though so perhaps the opposite may also apply eg fail the test but be legal to drive on the road. If so, I may be wrong with the 'illegal' bit of my previous statement. Anyone versed on the law on here? Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto

Post #218702 5th Mar 2014 9:34 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

That's very interesting. I did look into the legislation a while ago regarding different size wheels/tyres on the same axle, and the only legislation I could find was the old one about not mixing crossply/radial on the same axle. I entirely agree it would be bad practice, but I haven't seen any legal thing. A lot of MoT items seem to be down to MoT regs, not to anything enshrined in law. Would you pass a car with a 17" and a 19" on the same axle (perfectly legal, and a possibility with the standard FR2 spare wheel)?

Post #218715 5th Mar 2014 11:03 pm
papashaun

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Ipanema Sand

I have swapped wheels front to back regularly on my last few vehicles ( all 4 x 4's ) when either fronts or rears we're wearing a little bit faster so the wear is evened out on the tyres
Do it when there is 1mm of difference between front & back and swop wheels straight from front to back ie offside rear to offside front - occasionally car feels slightly different but only for a couple of days

Post #218717 5th Mar 2014 11:13 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Past master wrote:
Would you pass a car with a 17" and a 19" on the same axle (perfectly legal, and a possibility with the standard FR2 spare wheel)?

Definitely not. Must be the same type, size, width, aspect ratio etc across the same axle. Obviously you can use any size as a spare wheel (spacesaver) legally on the road but I think you are restricted to 50mph which is why most spare wheels have a ’50mph' sticker on them. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto

Post #218720 5th Mar 2014 11:23 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Just had a look at the MoT rgs on http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m4s04000105.htm
It appears to state that wrongly fitted asymetrical tyres are a fail, but it also states that "an arrow by itself should not be taken to indicate direction of rotation".
This seems to imply that an asymmetrical tyre fitted the wrong way round is a fail, but that a directional tyre on the wrong side is not.

Post #218721 5th Mar 2014 11:27 pm
Past master

United Kingdom 

Just saw your last post Steve - yes I agree that it makes perfect sense, but again I can't see any strictly legal basis for that. FR2s are sold with a 17" spare when different size wheels are fitted, or sometimes with the same size wheel but a different size tyre. It must be legal to drive with these, although obviously far from ideal.

Post #218724 5th Mar 2014 11:31 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Past master wrote:
Just had a look at the MoT rgs on http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m4s04000105.htm
It appears to state that wrongly fitted asymetrical tyres are a fail, but it also states that "an arrow by itself should not be taken to indicate direction of rotation".
This seems to imply that an asymmetrical tyre fitted the wrong way round is a fail, but that a directional tyre on the wrong side is not.

That's true about the arrow thing - but like I said earlier, to be valid it must also say 'direction' or 'rotation' next to the arrow. The specific reason for that rule is because there is a brand of tyre out there that is made by a company called 'Arrow' and an arrow is their trademark that they have on their sidewalls! Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto

Post #218727 6th Mar 2014 8:10 am
le bouch

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

Steve D wrote:
Well, as an MOT tester I know a car will definitely not pass an MOT test with a uni directional or asymmetrical tyre fitted not in accordance with the manufacturers markings on the sidewall and I'm assuming that would make it illegal. Can't quote the exact law that would be broken, if any. I do know that cars can pass the mot test but still be illegal the minute they go on the road though so perhaps the opposite may also apply eg fail the test but be legal to drive on the road. If so, I may be wrong with the 'illegal' bit of my previous statement. Anyone versed on the law on here?

Significant MOT failure points would be covered under 'Vehicle in Dangerous Condition' if there isn't a specific offence. Good old 'Construction & Use' again.

Post #218733 6th Mar 2014 9:28 am
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

I questioned the wheels being swapped on the same axle on my service's by LR in the past.

They said the reason was to ensure equal wear on the outside edges. As LR's sit quite high, the passenger side edges tend to wear more on the left because these tyres get more grief as we have lots of road islands. So by swapping them round to the other axle, this evens things out and makes tyres last longer.

Maybe a reason why I got nearly 50000 out of my rear 19's and nearly 42000 out of my front 19's. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #218740 6th Mar 2014 11:27 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>