Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > No more Defenders and Freelanders (apparently)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
limestone

"The upcoming next gen Freelander has been in works since sometime now and guess what? The car was recently spotted undergoing road tests on public roads of India! The test mule was spotted by a TBHP member in Trivandrum and the car bore UK registration plates. Underpinning the new Freelander is a modified Evoque platform and the car will come with two seating layouts- 5 seat and 7 seats. The new car is expected to arrive in 2014 and will offer a set of engine options that will include various four cylinder engines, along with a supercharged petrol motor. The new Freelander is most likely to be sold as a ‘Discovery’ and safely expect the car to be here within a year of its public debut."

Post #184855 21st May 2013 1:17 pm
Mav71

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

There is one thing about the Defender which none us have discussed. We know that passed 2017, legislation will prevent the current defender from being built in Europe.

This does not stop it being built in other area's such as Asia and Africa. Asia being a good option as it can and probably will be built in India. LR reckon they have maybe another 20 years life out of the current Defender in developing markets, so as long as legislation in these countries doesn't change, there is no reason why production can't be moved.

There was actual talk of moving the Defender production in 2014 to India, but this has been delayed.

Another positive of this, is that LR could still import back to the UK a percentage of Defenders that are built in India after the 2017 deadline for build in the UK.

So I am not convinced we have seen the last of the Defender. It is also still built with the 300TDi engine as part of the "World Spec" for the more remote parts of the world where older, easy to maintain technology is important.

pab wrote:
And the Discovery Sport already exists - it's just called the RRS!

On the current RRS yes, but the new RRS is based on the same platform as the new RR, so it doesn't have anything in common with the Disco platform anymore.
limestone wrote:
http://www.brookwell.co.uk/tag/land-rover-defender

"The biggest news however is that the 3rd generation of Land Rovers Freelander (The Freelander 3) might be produced in conjunction with Chery for not only china’s market but internationally as well! The new Freelander is set to feature seats for 7 passengers and potentially use Chery’s 2.0 litre engine that they currently use in their Rich G5 and G6 models. Eitherway having Chery on board with increased production in China can only help bring down production costs of all JLR’s vehicles. Something that may not be good news when you consider the longevity of their UK Plants."

All future 4 Cylinder LR models will use the new Hotfire engines which are being built in the UK. You'll never see other engines being used from other companies.

limestone wrote:
"The upcoming next gen Freelander has been in works since sometime now and guess what? The car was recently spotted undergoing road tests on public roads of India! The test mule was spotted by a TBHP member in Trivandrum and the car bore UK registration plates. Underpinning the new Freelander is a modified Evoque platform and the car will come with two seating layouts- 5 seat and 7 seats. The new car is expected to arrive in 2014 and will offer a set of engine options that will include various four cylinder engines, along with a supercharged petrol motor. The new Freelander is most likely to be sold as a ‘Discovery’ and safely expect the car to be here within a year of its public debut."

Old news. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #184893 21st May 2013 6:25 pm
Adrian888

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Stornoway Grey

What Mav says makes sense, especially in respect of the Defender. Fortunately Autocar is not as sensationalist as Autodistress however they still have to make headlines and sell magazines. You need to read between the lines and look at the drip of stories/interviews over a period of time before jumping to conclusions. It also surprises me how little many contributors to this forum know about the company behind the product they enthuse about and write utter drivel at times to which Mav provides some insight and balance, keep it up fella! eh tu?

Post #184909 21st May 2013 7:54 pm
Annjeo

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Mauritius Blue

+1 Thumbs Up Joanne

Freelander 1.8 Petrol XEi Jan 1998 - 2004
Freelander 2 (MY13) SD4 Auto XS (Mauritius Blue) - May 2013 onwards

Post #184914 21st May 2013 8:34 pm
Badger1970

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Baltic Blue

+2! Thumbs Up It would make sense to crate them and ship them out to Pune (like they already do the Freelander) and have them assembled out there, thus avoiding irresponsible and ineffective EU legislation. Let's hope that JLR already have a Plan B! Foraging near Gaydon....
——————————————
MY13 HSE Lux SD4, Baltic Blue - current, 30,000> miles without fault
MY12 HSE 2.2 SD4, Sumatra Black - gone after 10 months/43,000 fault-free miles

Post #184918 21st May 2013 8:59 pm
Mav71

Cheers Guys. There is a lot of comments on here about JLR "losing there way" etc, but a company like this doesn't survive for over 60 years without a business plan.

JLR insiders will know exactly what is going on with every model for the next decade or so.

I was talking to a guy at Gaydon a few weeks back, and I said what a fab job they have done with the new Range Rover, and he smiled and said, "for us internally, that's old news now, and that it has made production and it's over to the dealers to sell it, while the factory builds it. We are now looking at the next one" !

That's the thing with car manufacturers, we see a new model and ,any don't realise that each model at the point of launch is actually in some case several years old from the start of the project.

So JLR will have details of everything in 100% detail. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #184936 21st May 2013 10:15 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

It's true what Mav says. Anything made on the line is old hat to those involved in design.
But out of respect to the individual who told him this, if I was a supplier don't think i'd come on this forum or anywhere else and say as much. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #184938 21st May 2013 10:34 pm
papa smurf

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

There we go ,new competition for LR to run name the new replacement name for the Freelander..My entry below..

LR Mumbai or even LR Tut Tut Iain

Post #184939 21st May 2013 10:43 pm
j77

Scotland 

JLR have known for years the death of the Defender was coming, LR will have some form of strategy.

Replacing an icon like the Defender won't be rushed and shouldn't be rushed, a 2 year absence won't do it much harm. It will be the most eagerly awaited vehicle for a long time. The demand for the last Defenders will be through the roof.

LR aren't a stupid company, they know what they are doing, they know what the market trends are. It's just timing it right and with right vehicle. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #184941 21st May 2013 11:25 pm
Mav71

Personally, I think LR will stockpile Defenders in readiness for the end of production.

Vauxhall have done this with the Astravan. Production finished nearly 6-8 months ago, but they have over 1600 vans in warehouse storage and are releasing them in batches as they are not building a van based on the new Astra.

A shame and I think they will regret it. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #184948 22nd May 2013 8:06 am
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Quote:
... a company like this doesn't survive for over 60 years without a business plan.

Unfortunately, in that sense, LR hasn't survived for over 60 years! For decades now it's been bouncing from one crisis to another, one bail out plan to the next, and from owner to owner. And each owner re-wrote the business plan to suit its own ends - LR under Tata is not what it was under Ford, or BMW, or British Aerospace, or British Leyland, or ... Really the only things which have survived the 60 years are the name and the Defender! (And even that's not true as the Defender is not the same car as its predecessors.) Even the cars reflect the owner of the day - the FL2 being a prime example and owing more to Ford and its partners than LR itself! And even when LR itself is doing well it's no guarantee that it won't be dumped due to a parent's financial woes. LR is currently flying high - but the recovery really started under Ford and look what happened to that particular partnership. Under Tata things have been good for LR, but there are signs that Tata itself is having problems in certain areas - let's hope LR doesn't, once again, become a casualty of those problems! LR lost its independence a long time ago, and its future depends at least as much on its owner as itself.

Post #184961 22nd May 2013 11:49 am
limestone

limestone wrote:

Old news.[/quote]

What I wanted to show here is that the next Freelander 3 or mini Disco would be just a larger Evoque.

Post #184970 22nd May 2013 4:22 pm
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

limestone wrote:
What I wanted to show here is that the next Freelander 3 or mini Disco would be just a larger Evoque.

But since the Evoque is based on the FL2 that would simply mean that the FL3 will be based on the FL2. That's not a conclusion I'd want to draw at this point!

More likely the mule was simply a test bed for components for the new car, not the car itself.

Post #184981 22nd May 2013 5:49 pm
Mav71

limestone wrote:
limestone wrote:

Old news.

What I wanted to show here is that the next Freelander 3 or mini Disco would be just a larger Evoque.[/quote]

No it won't, as the next gen Freelander or what ever they call it will more than likely be based on a later version of the current platform, and the styling will be massively different to its Range Rover counterpart. Freelander 2 HSE Lux 2013MY - Barolo Black with Ivory Leather. Alpine DVD - Privacy -Evoque 20" Dynamic Wheels and more to come.........

Post #184983 22nd May 2013 6:14 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Where the devil did you find this information?
It's like reading the Daily Mail; they get it all wrong too. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #185028 22nd May 2013 9:24 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 6 <123456>