Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > No more Defenders and Freelanders (apparently)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
Print this entire topic · 
j77

Scotland 

@TurboDan- I'm with you on the DC100, I thought it looked great.

The Freelander will always be remembered for its often unreliable and problematic 1.8 Rover K series engine. Many owners have had them from new and never had a problem, but owners with problems always shout louder than those without. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #184428 18th May 2013 10:11 am
pab

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Lago Grey

Sorry to dissent, but I hated the DC100 - particularly as a Defender replacement. It was a plaything, not a workhorse.

The FL1 and FL2 are very different cars, and even putting aside reliability issues they seem to be aimed at different markets. I would never have bought an FL1 (I briefly considered one years ago but dismissed it almost instantly, ending up with the Forester instead) but, obviously, I would have an FL2. The 2 is a much more serious, 'grown up' car. The 'baby Range Rover' tag which the press gave it is quite appropriate.

The DC100 seemed to be aimed at the same market as the original FL1 (the one with the convertible rear roof section) - not at all the right approach for a Defender replacement. (Or for me, as it happens.) Personally, I'm glad it's been dropped, and I hope the real Defender replacement retains rather more of the core LR ethos.

Post #184432 18th May 2013 10:27 am
j77

Scotland 

I have the DC100 brochure and they are very tough and rugged, the interiors can still be scrubbed down as with the current Defender. LR have to make it saleable or as they have stated the Defender will have no future.

Concept cars always have over the top kit, very little will make it into production. The exterior looks good, if they just tone down the technology, then I think it would've sold well. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #184437 18th May 2013 12:02 pm
pab

There certainly are aspects of the DC100 which are rugged, yes, and they even fitted the concept car with a winch and tow points at each corner (which won't, of course, make it to production for reasons of cost and pedestrian safety respectively). But with those protruding wheelarches and various plastic mouldings it's just too vulnerable for a Defender replacement. A workhorse inevitably takes the odd knock, and one advantage of the Defender is that these do it very little damage due to the flat aluminium panels (which won't rust and are easily repaired) and good protection from its steel bumpers (which are, of course, a problem with the new regs). Then there's practicality - with that low roofline and what appears to be a relatively narrow rear door it's not obvious that it has sufficient load space or accessibility. And there's the looks - I can't see the old-school farmers going for it!

But nor would I preserve the Defender as it is - the replacement needs to be something which is acceptable on-road as well as supreme off. But it should be practical, well protected, free from electronic gimmicks, and for the target market, a bit more conservatively-designed.

Post #184442 18th May 2013 12:57 pm
Adrian888

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Stornoway Grey

There comes a point when continually re-engineering a car to meet the continual flood of legislation coming out Brussels becomes uneconomic and it is easier to start with a clean sheet. Given all the conflicting safety/economy targets and legislation being heaped upon manufacturers I can understand why JLR have probably reached the stage the Defender needs a totally new start. However i also suspect there will be legislative loopholes they can exploit to keep it going a bit longer, just call it French and they will be allowed to do anything.

As for the FL1 the K series engine was a brilliant design let down by a total lack of development investment especially in respect of the head gasket issue (which SAIC appear to have resolved). I can understand why JLR want to distance themselves from the name albeit the logic is not entirely valid given the less than wonderful reliability of earlier RR's and Discos'...... eh tu?

Post #184450 18th May 2013 2:50 pm
taztastic

England 

Hmm, I am not sure the Defender has any future at all?

They (LR) have lost that market to oriental workhorses, farming has changed significantly and I cannot see where a Defender would fit, on road farmers now have more comfortable cars and offroad needs are catered for with quad bikes, if LR had any sense they would stick to finding niche markets and not trying to cater to the past.

Legislation has killed the Defender, let it lie and move on.

Post #184453 18th May 2013 4:10 pm
pab

Don't forget the third-world markets - there are plenty of opportunities there, and Toyota and Nissan have had it all their own way for too long...

Post #184455 18th May 2013 4:33 pm
taztastic

England 

That is very true but I think it is too late for those markets to come back to LR, the reliability of the oriental stuff has been so good, saying that though, there is a huge problem with stolen Defenders going overseas for spares, so there may be a market.

I think the DC100 had a 'funky' sort of look, pitched at a younger audience with that style but in a small package, that may be a useful market and one which could potentially lead to further LR sales as they grow up with the brand?

Post #184460 18th May 2013 5:00 pm
limestone

So, let me please understand..Which car has chance to be released in 2015 ? New Defender when will be put in production, estimated year ?

Post #184461 18th May 2013 5:07 pm
richardk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Aintree Green

I've always liked the style of the Disco...but not its size..way too big for me...this could be the answer.

I assume the Disco will be a family of 3...True Disco, Disco Freely and Disco Yeti

There may be a family of Defos too to cater for different tastes...the true sheep carrier and something more palatable

Post #184462 18th May 2013 5:08 pm
pab

taztastic wrote:
I think the DC100 had a 'funky' sort of look, pitched at a younger audience with that style but in a small package, that may be a useful market and one which could potentially lead to further LR sales as they grow up with the brand?

That's pretty much what I meant when I said above that the DC100 seemed to me to be aimed at the same market as the original FL1 (targa version). I certainly think there is a market for such a car, and whilst it wouldn't be of interest to me I'd be happy to see a DC100 derivative in that role, just not as the Defender replacement.

But I still think there's a market for a workhorse-type vehicle at a price point similar to the Defender. That might be a cut-down Discovery (the size is right, so strip out all the electronics, air suspension, etc, and give it a hard-wearing interior and the TD4 engine to bring the price down and it could be a winner) or something completely new.

I agree that it will be hard to depose Toyota in the third-world markets, but not impossible - after all LR were even more firmly established when Toyota first came along. And there are also new markets opening up in Asia - huge markets in which one doesn't need that big a market share to be selling a worthwhile number of vehicles.

Post #184466 18th May 2013 5:30 pm
richardk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Aintree Green

As a FL2 owner and one that hasn't wanted a Defender I find it hard to comment on what a Defender should be...I think I leave that to the other forum. But if the Defender replacement turns more suitable for my needs I'll consider it

Post #184469 18th May 2013 5:51 pm
camper2

Isle Of Man 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

I think it will be sad to see the end of Defenders, I have had a few - first one in the 70's! But the Freelander just hasn't done it for me. Trading down from an HSE 3.8 RR Sport was always going to be a huge change, and at first I liked the FR2 as a compromise. But now after a few months there just isn't that feeling of pride. Defenders, Disco's, RRSorts; I enjoyed them all even in the garage if you know what I mean. But I rarely give this one a second glance any more; it's just a car. A smaller version of the present Disco would probably be my next choice if that is on the cards. Now - Black 2012 FR2 SD4 XS really miss the RRS
Gone - Black 2008 3.6 TDV8 RRS orgasmic
Gone - Black 2006 2.7 HSE RRS problems
Gone - Green 2008 SWB Defender fully loaded; brill
Gone - Green 2005 Disco diesel; brill
Gone - Black 2003 Disco diesel; brill

Post #184541 19th May 2013 9:47 am
j77

Scotland 

The Freelander has been cast aside for the past few years all the attention has been on the Evoque, LR need to make special whether it be a Freelander 3 or a baby Disco, either one will be my next car.

I think I fancy the idea of a baby Disco, I loved my D3, even though it was the most unreliable LR I've had, but it was just that bit too big for my needs so a scaled down version of the D4 replacement would suit me. 21MY Defender 90 S 3.0 D200

Post #184562 19th May 2013 12:07 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

taztastic wrote:
Hmm, I am not sure the Defender has any future at all?

They (LR) have lost that market to oriental workhorses, farming has changed significantly and I cannot see where a Defender would fit, on road farmers now have more comfortable cars and offroad needs are catered for with quad bikes, if LR had any sense they would stick to finding niche markets and not trying to cater to the past.

Legislation has killed the Defender, let it lie and move on.

quad bikes wont take a stock trailer full of sheep to markets etc, quad bikes arnt much fun in bad weather or for visiting stock in distant fields incolving road travel
the pickup truck type off roaders dont off road as well as a defender arnt much more reliable or even more comfortable, farmers especially upland sheep farmers and the like will always need a defender type vehicle.

pickups such toyota mitsubishi and ford/mazda seem to be continually surprising ownwers wtith the huge cost of repairs, defender parts do often seem a bargain in comparison and any decent mechanic can fix a defender without special tools, At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #184572 19th May 2013 12:58 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 6 <123456>