Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Adding leather to a GS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
1STFREELANDER

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Interesting how a thread about leather seats ends up about auto gearboxes, so here goes. i cannot understand how people say the auto box revs too much, mine is tuned to the torque of the diesel and even if driven briskly rarely revs over 2000rpm before changing up, I would say normal rev range is between 1500rpm and 2200rpm.
The changes up and down cannot be felt.

At the end of the day it's all down to peronal choice, But, after driving for 37yrs, having been in the motor trade, and a bus driver in central london, several Police driving courses and owned nunerous manual and automatic cars at my present stage in life I prefer the FL2 as an auto.

Post #97593 4th Apr 2011 6:48 am
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Changes can definitely be felt and it revs too much before changing. If you have your foot to the floor for joining the motorway the auto revs for ages before changing. If people want to buy auto then fine but I promise you now that if mine was a Friday car, I would sooner get rid of the FL2 even though it's a great car than have the auto. I would rather go on the bike, it would certainly be a better drive than an auto Rolling with laughter LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #97595 4th Apr 2011 7:03 am
athelstan

The "Auto" v "Manual" debate:

Presently 27,203kms travelled in 17mths with the manual gearbox. No problems with clutch or box. Not tiring to use. The only observation we have is that on very cold winter mornings/nights the gear lever travel from 1st to 2nd is initially very stiff until the gearbox oil warms up - approx 5mins.

Only driven an Auto FL2 on two occassions as a courtesy car - therefore exposure to its abilities are too limited to sensibly comment on. However, I have driven many automatic cars and my preference is to drive with a manual box.

-o0o-
Back to my leather seat question earlier in this thread. Does anyone know if it is possible to fit electric seats and if so, what does it entail re electronic modules and wiring etc.. Question

Post #97597 4th Apr 2011 7:10 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

athelstan wrote:
-o0o-
Back to my leather seat question earlier in this thread. Does anyone know if it is possible to fit electric seats and if so, what does it entail re electronic modules and wiring etc.. Question

probably easier for that famous camel to pass through the eye of its needle At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #97604 4th Apr 2011 7:53 am
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

toeknee wrote:
Grabs a chair

sits down

That's what I did.... Rolling with laughter Thumbs Up

Post #97610 4th Apr 2011 8:53 am
dunroof

athelstan wrote:

-o0o-

Hi, I've sent you an e-mail with attachment re elctric seating. Hope it's helpful.

Post #97615 4th Apr 2011 9:44 am
chicken george

I would guess non memory electric seats just need 12v to the switches no fancy electronic trickery, but do the motors fit the seat frames? At work
At home

Post #97620 4th Apr 2011 10:08 am
dunroof

CG send me your e-mail address and I'll send you the word attachment too. It's very detailed.

Post #97622 4th Apr 2011 10:29 am
stownrow

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Indus Silver

dunroof wrote:
CG send me your e-mail address and I'll send you the word attachment too. It's very detailed.

Have PM'd ya Dunroof Smile 

Post #97627 4th Apr 2011 12:29 pm
ad210358

England 

The Doctor wrote:
Changes can definitely be felt and it revs too much before changing. If you have your foot to the floor for joining the motorway the auto revs for ages before changing. Rolling with laughter

As I said in another post there is no need to drive it like Sebastian Vettel, it doesn't need to be floored, its a Freelander FFS not a sports car. Thumbs Up

Post #97658 4th Apr 2011 4:34 pm
ad210358

England 

chicken george wrote:
I had a leather seated Audi before the fl2 very nice it was too, it also had the fully adjustable lumbar as mentioned although I think it was a £300 extra.

Nearly made mind up on GS with leather Cool td4 manual , but what colour ??? Confused , Simples...Lago or Stornoway

I do like the leccy seats as Mrs G is tiny and I'm not so regular adjustments are needed, Also the manual seats seem to have a 'staying up problem' something Ithought I had avoided so far in life but Mrs Cg has noticed that it is becoming a problem but at the moment I am trying to ignore it

Whistle

Post #97659 4th Apr 2011 4:42 pm
ad210358

England 

chicken george wrote:
Why do you think I'm taking so long to decide Confused

I drive my Dads Auto merc E class 320 quite a lot lovely engine and auto, but still dont want an auto fl2,, just yet. or should I say her royal scone highness doesnt

Don't want an Auto just yet, Your Wavering Question
With The Royal Scone Highness says no, I had the same problem but it no longer gets mentioned now as SWMBO is much more comfortable with it now and secretly actually enjoys it. One main reason is the top of our road can be a pain in a morning between 7am and 9.30 it is a job to get out if turning right, but with the Auto it is just ease down the pedal and your gone, poetry in motion.

Post #97661 4th Apr 2011 4:49 pm
dunroof

Stownrow - e-mail sent.

Post #97668 4th Apr 2011 5:49 pm
chicken george

New car plans postponed, new tyres fitted today, scorpions fitted just outside my front door (the fitter used his windy gun without wrecking the locking key). Car is taxed, tested, tyred and polished and quite frankly too good to sell Very Happy At work
At home

Post #99360 20th Apr 2011 8:29 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

Sorry missed this one - how has yet another conversation resulted in the auto vs manual debate ?? Shocked

Any ways ... my 2 pence worth..

Leather is defo better...
You dont get that horrible 'dusty smell' when they are old
they look nicer
they are nicer to sit on
when your 4yr old puke cocanut and mango smoothy and peporona pizza on them it wipes up, unlike his cloth child seat which is currently sitting on the hard shoulder of the m1!
the electric function is far more conveniant and easier to get comfy

so in summary - leather it should be... had it in my last couple of cars and will never look back. Although I would not get it without bum heaters now.

As for Autmatics vs manuals... I cant quite figure this one out... given the doctor claims to be an excellent driver (and I am sure he is Confused ) I cannot understand why he is unable to drive the FL auto so it does not jerk, rev or do any of the other things he says it does... Just like driving a manual you have to be able to 'drive' an auto, not just jam your foot on the pedel and expect it to be smooth.

Either way the FL auto drives superbly when driven properly and suits the car far better than the manual - so SD4 it should be!!! Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #99394 20th Apr 2011 11:35 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234