« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Adding leather to a GS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
Tigger

United Kingdom 

1STFREELANDER wrote:
I had leather in a mercedes and loved it, my XS has leather side and cloth middle which is fine. LR seem to be charging a lot for leather and electric seats as most other manufactures charge about £1000. On VW and BMW the electric seats not only adjust all ways ( 8 instead of 6) but the lumber supportcan be adjusted up and down as well as firmer/softer, as it should be in 2011.

I've just checked on the BMW site and it's interesting to find that BMW actually include leather and electric seats as standard. But there again, they charge £31,135 for the entry level car!

I looked at a 5 series touring before I found the Freelander and I love the way they charge to attain a minimum acceptable level of seat comfort (or "sport", as they call it in the case of the X3, at an extra £440!)

I checked on the VW site for the leather option in the ubiquitous Golf and it's £1,945 for the leather (and no option of electric seats), or £1,715 in a Passat, plus £710 for the electric seat adjustment = £2,425 for the lot. Perhaps Land Rover are being pretty fair after all...

Post #97510 3rd Apr 2011 11:48 am
athelstan

Our experience is this:
Leather was standard (no cloth option) on the "Newport" model. I agree (this applies to my other jallopies) that leather seating can be hot to touch in the height of summer, but, cold it is not in winter. On the "Newport" model the leather is not confined to just the the seat facings - it applies all around to every part of the whole seat and headrests.

This has been confirmed by the master saddle maker that did the coloured coding for gaiters for the handbrake and gear lever (the original's [black] were pvc). We've also established that the terracotta leather was produced in Tunisia by Medici - LR order number ROLRFTD45007. So if any LR employees have access to a 1mtr sq piece of this terracotta leather I'd be interested to buy it from you Idea

In my motoring experience I am of the opinion as per a previous Poster that leather seating is healthier as it does not harbour dust and bacteria to the same degree as cloth seating. It is also very easy to clean (kids Sad( ) and maintain.

Re upgrading the seating: the leather seating on the "Newport" is manually adjusted and does not have the center arm rests Exclamation I'd like to know if I could source a set of electric seats and then envelop them in the terracotta leather we have - would this work and what electrical equipment / hard wiring would be require to complete the task for them to be fully functional Question

Post #97512 3rd Apr 2011 11:58 am
1STFREELANDER

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

Ouch, I havn't looked at the web sites for some time and hadn't realised they had gone up so much.
With regards to the seat adjustment the freelander has, I think, the only electric seat that does not adjust the seat angle as well, I believe the old HSE's had 8 way seats but the new HSE's have gone back to 6 way the same as the XS. With regards to the lumber the VW/BMW can actually alter the height of the lumber support up and down the backrest so the support is in exactly the right position. I find the lumber support in mine too high and the seat base too flat. I cannot understand why you charge £31,000 for a car and then save pennies on the seat adjustment.

Post #97513 3rd Apr 2011 12:02 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

1STFREELANDER wrote:
Ouch, I havn't looked at the web sites for some time and hadn't realised they had gone up so much.
With regards to the seat adjustment the freelander has, I think, the only electric seat that does not adjust the seat angle as well, I believe the old HSE's had 8 way seats but the new HSE's have gone back to 6 way the same as the XS. With regards to the lumber the VW/BMW can actually alter the height of the lumber support up and down the backrest so the support is in exactly the right position. I find the lumber support in mine too high and the seat base too flat. I cannot understand why you charge £31,000 for a car and then save pennies on the seat adjustment.

It's 8 way in my current car and it'll be 6 way in the Freelander XS when it arrives; I will miss not being able to tilt the front of the seat, though I'll live with it. You'll only get 8 way on an HSE now if you pay for the additional "Windsor" pack with the posh leather. Mind you, even seat height adjustment was a novelty until about 10 years ago, let alone electric seat adjustment, so it's still not pretty flash! Rolling Eyes

Post #97517 3rd Apr 2011 2:28 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

I don't understand the attraction of leather apart from the lovely smell when new. And that doesn't last long.
Give me cloth anyday; as said on this thead before, leather is very cold in winter. Amd it cracks within time.
Our other car is all leather and i don't like it one bit. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #97530 3rd Apr 2011 7:24 pm
Tigger

United Kingdom 

The leather won't crack if it's of good quality and is treated properly.

It's much easier to keep clean (especially when you have a long haired dog in the boot - and I have!), is much more hygenic (my wife suffers from asthma and eczema - so clean and dust free is good), is much easier to slide in and out of the car on and (if looked after properly) ages much more gracefully than cloth.

Yes, it's (very briefly) cold in the winter, but it's not hot in the summer if you order it in a nice light colour. As long as you wear natural fibres, it's not sweaty in the summer either.

I wouldn't ever go for the perforated (tea bag?) leather though, as that's a complete cop out! Rolling Eyes

At the end of the day, going for leather or cloth is a personal choice, so there's no right or wrong answer.

Tigger.

Post #97532 3rd Apr 2011 7:38 pm
Tandemman

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Rimini Red

I've had both of my GS's done by the seat surgeon chap in Poppleton, both done in full nappa and would not go back to cloth seats.
Leather is not hot in summer or cold in winter, it is easy to clean and maintain, I have had no cracking in either car and I believe the Seat surgeon price, for their best quality nappa is just over half the price that LR charge for pleather.
If you call in at the Dealer in Wakefield, they usually have a New car in the Showroom with a Seat Surgeon retrim,
The Overfinch models are all trimmed by the seat Surgeon. Thumbs Up

Post #97566 3rd Apr 2011 9:57 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

I had a leather seated Audi before the fl2 very nice it was too, it also had the fully adjustable lumbar as mentioned although I think it was a £300 extra.

I bought the Audi used with 26 miles on the clock so didnt pay for the extra specs (Apparently a surprise gift to a SWIMBO that wasn't wanted, poor sap had to take a loss then buy her a TT apparently, There was big scratch on the bonnet from where she hit it with her handbag Shocked )

Nearly made mind up on GS with leather Cool td4 manual , but what colour ??? Confused , Simples...Santorini

I do like the leccy seats as Mrs G is tiny and I'm not so regular adjustments are needed, Also the manual seats seem to have a 'staying up problem' something I have avoided so far in life At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #97570 3rd Apr 2011 10:41 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

The McP's are different heights (Small and smaller Laughing ) so the memory seats are Thumbs Up so I'm with you on that one.
Leather yes, wouldn't be without it with for keeping clean (A son who is like a magnet to mud on a sunday football pitch Rolling Eyes )
Colour, not my brew but each to their own (Gives us more ammo back at you Thumbs Up )
TD4, again, absolutely fine if you don't need the extra 'Umph' OK choice accepted.
But a manual Rolling with laughter ....please...stiff gearbox, left leg... up down, up down, up down, up down, up down, up down, up down, up down, up down, up down, up down, add to that clutch judder together with the old favourite from those people who haven't driven an auto in the last 20 years ''I want to be in control of my car b Censored cks''. You can let the car change gear itself (you get two options on this) or 'shock horror' select any individual gear you like Laughing . Hugh price premium when ordered but you'll get more than half of that back when you sell it in 4 - 5 years time.......I'm sure ''By royal appointment to her majesty the queen'' the head chef for Chickens and Scones will have the final say which is chosen...but there are other colours out there Shocked

Post #97577 3rd Apr 2011 11:20 pm
toeknee

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

Grabs a chair

sits down

whos going to be first CG or The Docotor

Post #97581 3rd Apr 2011 11:36 pm
ad210358

England 

Will it be a special order CG, you know, one without a (and I quote) a chrome plated arse piece Rolling with laughter

Post #97582 3rd Apr 2011 11:47 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Why do you think I'm taking so long to decide Confused

I drive my Dads Auto merc E class 320 quite a lot lovely engine and auto, but still dont want an auto fl2,, just yet. or should I say her royal scone highness doesnt At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #97583 3rd Apr 2011 11:51 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

What a load of rubbish from mcphersonstrut. The point of the manual is that it's cheaper to buy and run and still vastly superior to the awful auto. The manual is smooth and no clutch judder. Auto just sits revving cos it hasn't got a clue that diesels can't rev like petrols and holds onto revs too long before changing. The kick down is hideous. The D stands for dreadful. I have driven several auto FL2's and they just disappoint every time. Wake up mcphersonstrut and get a proper gearbox. Buy superior, buy manual. Mr. Green LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #97586 4th Apr 2011 12:01 am
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Just had new DMF and clutch after just 26k.
And how long will it last?
Fortunately under warrenty.

Otherwise i'd be better off with an auto.
Nough said. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #97587 4th Apr 2011 1:27 am
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Pegleg wrote:
Just had new DMF and clutch after just 26k.
And how long will it last?
Fortunately under warrenty.

Otherwise i'd be better off with an auto.
Nough said.

Most owners don't have too much trouble and autos have their problems as reported on here anyway. If my clutch went several times and I got fed up I would change to an entirely different car rather than have the inferior auto. Fortunately the manual has proved nice and reliable so I still have a great car in the best colour with the best gearbox. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #97591 4th Apr 2011 6:41 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>