51%  [75]
Total Votes: 147

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 39 of 93 <123 ... 383940 ... 919293>
Print this entire topic · 
R1JIM

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Sumatra Black

chicken george wrote:
Maybe he used 2T oil since buying the van? or he bought it used and the previous owner did who knows.

As I am the owner of nine diesel engined vehicles I do welcome anything that may aid their reliability, but I do need more proof than has been shown so far

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter only one way to get reliability on them there JD's change them for New Holland then you wont have any problem

you know its the right move CG just need big enough b Censored lls to drop that american rubbish and by a british built tractor !!!!

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up TO DARE IS TO DO

Post #96407 24th Mar 2011 10:28 pm
athelstan

Kaanage

Your quote: "athelstan, you seem to have an axe to grind." - end quote.

No I do not as that is a wasteful and pointless pursuit.

Rather, I believe that when someone comes forward with a notion that adding xyz to a machine will prolong its life I require substantive verifiable proof before taking any action that may do exactly the opposite; i.e. nullify my capital investment, ruin my machine and invalidate any warranty attached to that piece of equipment. That is a rational and sensible approach to any programme of equipment modification and maintenance.

That's my position. Those that wish to just accept popular consensus re adding 2sO per se may do so - it's their car - their money.

Post #96419 25th Mar 2011 6:13 am
DiscoGeorge

South Africa 

I think it is now time for Yamaha Fan to come forward with the documented proof re: adding 2sO to diesel of questionable origin.

Despite the fact, that 2sO is a fuel oil (not a heavy oil) there still seem to be some forum members at pains to understand the difference between a heavy and a light oil.

I sit here on the sidelines and I am having a good chuckle about the ongoing debate Rolling with laughter With kind regards
DiscoGeorge
1998 Disco1 ES 300Tdi with twin TrueTracs
2005 Disco3 TDV6 S
And some more serious stuff

Last edited by DiscoGeorge on 25th Mar 2011 8:58 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #96420 25th Mar 2011 6:23 am
EYorkshire

I think it's wrong that you find it amusing enough to laugh at us simply because we may be less knowledgeable in this field than you, our car engine and its components are important enough to us to not intentionally shorten its life and would embrace anything that would prolong it. I just want to be shown that someone, somewhere has officially approved its use, and then I may accept it.

Quote:
Despite the fact, that 2sO is a fuel oil (not a heyvy oil) there still seem to be some forum members at pains to understand the difference between a heavy and a light oil.

These are the majority of car owners you have to convince, not to laugh at them as you so egotistically admitted.

Your credibility does nothing for me if you feel the need to have a chuckle at me for wanting this.

Climb down off your high horse for a minute and step back, you will find that over 115,000 views have been generated by interested parties, yet very few have replied because they feel their knowledge in the field does not allow them to participate, so convince these people without being arrogant.

Post #96424 25th Mar 2011 8:22 am
DiscoGeorge

South Africa 

Eyorkshire

you got this entirely wrong. I haven't got to convince anyone, as there is no financial interest in there for me.

I am just highly amused by some of the arguments being posted here on this forum.

The old proverb comes to mind: one can take the horse to the water .... With kind regards
DiscoGeorge
2005 Disco3 TDV6 S

Post #96427 25th Mar 2011 8:56 am
Sir Peter Latenen-Fortnan

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

Ah yes, that reminds me of another proverb I heard in Nepal old chap, "Many a mickle makes a muckle"

Post #96430 25th Mar 2011 9:15 am
Boxer

Wales 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Zermatt Silver

kaanage wrote:
chicken george wrote:
I wont be keeping my car much beyond 50,000, so do not feel like dosing with T2 oil in a unproven attempt to conserve it for a future owner

So I take it you're only talking about your industrial machinery?

ChrisLab wrote:
2) I have nowhere on this forum read of ONE person who has suffered damage to their vechiles as a result of adding Two stroke oil to their diesel but I read alot of posts claiming the advantages of doing just that.

Ditto. And this is true of all the other forums where I have been trying to research this topic (which is quite a few) - there have only been recommendations or else people saying there was no noticable effect - no posts showing damage (there was someone early in this thread who claimed their car stopped just after adding 2 stroke oil but that was shown to be caused by something else, entirely).

Yea, that was me and i dont like to talk about the whole sorry episode, but i added half a tank of petrol into a diesel.

in my defence before CG harps up this is my first diesel car. Don't put petrol in a diesel. They don't run well.

Post #96431 25th Mar 2011 9:18 am
DiscoGeorge

South Africa 

Hi Boxer

you don't have to feel bad. This happens here in SA frequently. The reasons why have mainly to do with the pump attendants.

The only solution then is to drain the tank and add at least 1 litre of 2sO with the first tank. That way damage can be prevented. The overdosis for one tank only has no negative side effects apart from a slight blue haze coming out of the exhaust. Embarassed With kind regards
DiscoGeorge
2005 Disco3 TDV6 S

Post #96433 25th Mar 2011 9:35 am
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

Found this whilst searching the net.....

Like Low Sulfur Diesel fuel, ULSD fuel requires good lubricity and corrosion inhibitors to prevent unacceptable engine wear. As necessary, additives to increase lubricity and to inhibit corrosion are added to ULSD fuel prior to its retail sale. With these additives, ULSD fuel performs as well as Low Sulfur Diesel fuel.

Diesel-powered engines and vehicles for 2007 and later model years are designed to operate only with ULSD fuel. Improper fuel use will reduce the efficiency and durability of engines, permanently damage many advanced emissions control systems, reduce fuel economy, and possibly prevent the vehicles from running at all. Manufacturer warranties are likely to be voided by improper fuel use.

As has been stated on here before, it's your vehicle so it's your choice. ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #96457 25th Mar 2011 2:16 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

DiscoGeorge wrote:

The only solution then is to drain the tank and add at least 1 litre of 2sO with the first tank. That way damage can be prevented. The overdosis for one tank only has no negative side effects apart from a slight blue haze coming out of the exhaust. Embarassed

Rolling Eyes the only solution, I'm sure it is, and if it was there would be something to back that claim up also Laughing Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #96461 25th Mar 2011 2:24 pm
EYorkshire

I never realised the wonderment of this 2sO, if I rub it on my head will it make my hair grow back Question

Post #96470 25th Mar 2011 3:30 pm
Tandemman

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Rimini Red

Yeah 2SO .......snake oil, it's all the same really.

Post #96474 25th Mar 2011 3:40 pm
simont

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Tonga Green

EYorkshire wrote:
I never realised the wonderment of this 2sO, if I rub used oil on my head will it make my hair grow black Question

Sorry... I had to correct your question... A definite Yes Thumbs Up

Rolling with laughter 2002 Honda VFR800
2002 Toyota Celica 140 Silver (mid life crisis - again!)
2007 FL2 GS Manual Army Reconnaissance Green + freel2.com sticker Smile
2004 Toyota Celica 140 Black - Gone
2000 Toyota Celica 140 Silver - Gone
1998 Toyota Celica ST Pearl Green - Gone
1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 - Gone
1994 Rover Montego 1.6 Auto - Gone

Post #96476 25th Mar 2011 4:31 pm
yamaha-fan

Germany 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

No DG, I will not.
I have started this thread to help interested readers and to share my experience with them.
I have no personal benefit from this thread; I earn no more money, nor do I increase my professional reputation as I (have to) write under pseudonym.
But what certain forum members have made out of this thread is -to put it mildly- unprofessional.
I have therefor decided not to participate in this forum any longer and I thank the moderators for their support.
All the best to everybody. And keep this thread in mind - you will be surprised in the time to come.

YF

Post #96477 25th Mar 2011 4:40 pm
kaanage

Australia 

All the best yamaha-fan - thanks for your contribution. I understand your wish to no longer participate here when mockery is all that some posters seem to be able to "contribute".

Now does anyone here know to google "diesel of questionable origin" in German?

Post #96478 25th Mar 2011 5:10 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 39 of 93 <123 ... 383940 ... 919293>