Total Votes: 147

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 38 of 93 <123 ... 373839 ... 919293>
Print this entire topic · 
athelstan

athelstan wrote:
Thank You YF

Alex
As I said to YF in my earlier reply [my post 22March10:32hrs the above quote was sarcastic] to her notification that 2sO was recommended by VW (re Amarok) and MB (re G-Class).

YF's obfuscation always leaves me to query exactly what are her motives for not responding in an open manner re presenting directly to the forum substantive verifiable evidence for the claims being made. And what is intriguing, why present an avenue of enquiry that would be so quickly and easily disputed. Rolling Eyes

Post #96245 23rd Mar 2011 8:01 pm
kaanage

Australia 

simont wrote:
It's good to see some documents - for or against!! Confused

Actually, we still haven't seen either, unless you include 2 stroke oil in the 'additives, so called fluidising substances or any other substances'. This would then also include all diesel additives by Optilube, Standadyne, Liquid-Moly etc

The G Wagen manual that npinks linked to had a similarly broad warning (except it allowed for MB approved 'Flow Improvers' in very cold conditions)

Has anyone found any information on the 2 university studies that yamaha-fan mentioned as pending release, very early in this thread?

Post #96281 23rd Mar 2011 9:49 pm
DiscoGeorge

South Africa 

Hi guys
Today I went to see the pump rebuilder who is doing the CRD pumps. They are a Bosch and Stanadyne accredited pump repair shop and are linked to one of the country’s top engine rebuilders, Micro Engineering in Elandsfontein.

Before going into the details of investigating the reasons for CRD pump failure, I asked him what his opinion was of using 2sO in diesel. His answer was two-fold: “I am using It myself with great success in 0.5% per volume and if all the fleet owners, who’s work we are getting would be using it, we wouldn’t get 40% of the work we are doing.

The next step was going into the pump room where he showed me a CRD pump from a Mercedes Sprinter. The condition of that pump was typical of damage done by using ultra low sulphur diesel.

Damage was done to the shaft seals due to hardening as a result of lack of lubricity, pitting of the shafts, damage to the actuator, water damage to the heads (very minor-rebuildable) etc.

I then proceeded to ask him what the typical failure rate of these pumps was. He replied typically between 80’000km to 140’000km.

My next question was how many CRD pumps they had done where 2sO had been used. He said none. I then questioned him how he could be so sure.

He replied that the shaft seals would not go so hard and brittle and that there would be no pitting due to water in the diesel. Nor would there be discoloration of the heads ‘metal due to water contamination.

Before I left I showed him the 300Tdi. He was absolutely perplexed. His comments were that he had seldom seen a 300Tdi that ran so smooth and quiet, let alone one with 260’000km and still on the first turbo.
You will have to look at the pics and decide for yourselves.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

This exercise was a confirmation of what I had been writing about this topic on this forum.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  With kind regards
DiscoGeorge
1998 Disco1 ES 300Tdi with twin TrueTracs
2005 Disco3 TDV6 S
And some more serious stuff

Post #96291 23rd Mar 2011 11:30 pm
alex_pescaru

Thanks for your efforts!
Please, maybe you'll write a short description on top of each picture for the members to know exactly what they represent?
And now we'll need the internals of the same high pressure pump, but one that worked with fuel that was mixed with 2T. Do you have such a pump for comparing the internals and see, side by side, the differences?
Thank you!

Post #96316 24th Mar 2011 11:12 am
DiscoGeorge

South Africa 

Hi Alex

yes I can do that tonight. As far as the 2sO treated pump is conerned, nobody is dumb enough to rip apart a working CRD pump just because someone wants to see its internals.

I will over the weekend withdraw one of the glow plugs from my 300Tdi, they are still the original ones and are not working anymore, but they are as clean as a new one. So that the guys can see. I have to rpelace them before the onset of winter, as I am planning some trips into Lesotho Very Happy With kind regards
DiscoGeorge
2005 Disco3 TDV6 S

Post #96333 24th Mar 2011 1:31 pm
Dave

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Indus Silver

It might also be of benefit to tell us how old the vehicles are that these components come from. ______________________
2011 Full Fat RR 4.4 TDV8
2012 FL2 SD4 Auto HSE
2013 Kawasaki Versys 650

Post #96342 24th Mar 2011 2:30 pm
alex_pescaru

DiscoGeorge wrote:
As far as the 2sO treated pump is conerned, nobody is dumb enough to rip apart a working CRD pump just because someone wants to see its internals.

Yes, you are right up to a point...
But you realize that this is exactly the point in convincing someone that 2T oil is good for lubrication. Very Happy
Presenting, by comparison, two different situations: one pump used with and one pump used without 2T oil...
Anyway, thanks again for your effort and hope that YF will be as helpful as you in providing that piece of evidence about Amarok and G-classe, because I couldn't find it...

Post #96348 24th Mar 2011 3:13 pm
DiscoGeorge

South Africa 

Hi guys

for those of you less technical inclined, herewith three videos that explain in detail, how the CRD HPFP works. From those videos it is easy to identify the various parts in the pictures.

http://www.bosch.co.za/content/language1/Media/CRS3_en.wmv
&feature=related

&NR=1

BTW the pump came from a 2008 Sprinter with 69000km on.

As far as Alex_P mission searching for proof of benefits of lubrication of 2sO is concerned, I think Alex you are overdoing it. With kind regards
DiscoGeorge
2005 Disco3 TDV6 S

Post #96372 24th Mar 2011 5:10 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Can you say how often the vans fuel filter was changed and how careful the driver was to refuel with clean fuel everytime? At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #96379 24th Mar 2011 6:02 pm
ChrisLab

South Africa 

Hi gentleman and lady(ies),
I have read every single thread in this post.
I must agree that the proof that Alex and others have been looking for has not been provided BUT I have two questions:

!) What do all these people ( Yamaha fan, Disco George and lots of other people ) that say it is beneficial for your fuel system ( high pressure diesel pump, injectors etc. etc ) turbos and the whole engine to add 2T oil to your diesel; stand to gain by distributing false information.

I would like to give an example here. I f I say that I am for arguments sake 85 years old and I am in perfect health and I contribute this to the fac that I have been taking fresh lemon juice every morning and every night this would not be a proven scientific fact BUT I am just sharing some of my life experience with you!!!!!

2) I have nowhere on this forum read of ONE person who has suffered damage to their vechiles as a result of adding Two stroke oil to their diesel but I read alot of posts claiming the advantages of doing just that.

Can we not sometimes go on the word of other people??????

Chris

Post #96380 24th Mar 2011 6:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
chicken george

Some people have been criticised for 'not believing'. its not that we don't believe it wont damage the engine more that proof is needed to back up the heavy criticism shown.

I wont be keeping my car much beyond 50,000, so do not feel like dosing with T2 oil in a unproven attempt to conserve it for a future owner At work
At home

Post #96386 24th Mar 2011 7:03 pm
DiscoGeorge

South Africa 

ChrisLab wrote:
Hi gentleman and lady(ies),
I have read every single thread in this post.
I must agree that the proof that Alex and others have been looking for has not been provided BUT I have two questions:

!) What do all these people ( Yamaha fan, Disco George and lots of other people ) that say it is beneficial for your fuel system ( high pressure diesel pump, injectors etc. etc ) turbos and the whole engine to add 2T oil to your diesel; stand to gain by distributing false information.

I would like to give an example here. I f I say that I am for arguments sake 85 years old and I am in perfect health and I contribute this to the fac that I have been taking fresh lemon juice every morning and every night this would not be a proven scientific fact BUT I am just sharing some of my life experience with you!!!!!

2) I have nowhere on this forum read of ONE person who has suffered damage to their vechiles as a result of adding Two stroke oil to their diesel but I read alot of posts claiming the advantages of doing just that.

Can we not sometimes go on the word of other people??????

Chris

Very nice to see that there are still level headed forum members out there. Thanks for your kind words Chris!

CG: that pump came frome a MB Sprinter, where the HPFP failed. A pump shop hasn't got access to the log book of vehicles, whose components come in for overhaul. With kind regards
DiscoGeorge
2005 Disco3 TDV6 S

Post #96395 24th Mar 2011 7:52 pm
alex_pescaru

DiscoGeorge wrote:
As far as Alex_P mission searching for proof of benefits of lubrication of 2sO is concerned, I think Alex you are overdoing it.

Inside my heart, I know that addition of 2T oil is good, but I wanted proof.
I've tried to provoke you (DG and YF) in order to come forward and present some proof.
And why not, for the sake of debate and to keep the thread alive and kicking.

YF only presented circumstantial evidence and kept said that she knows, have proof but can't show it.
Yeah, I know that little grey aliens landed on my lawn, I have proof, but I can't show you. But belive me, I've played golf with them.
And yes, she sent us to hunt wild horses about those handbooks of Amarok and G-classe.
Or maybe not, but I am still waiting for her to show me that I am so stupid that I can't find an evident piece of text in a manual.
Until otherwise proven, sorry YF, for sure you know from your lawsuits that a statement without a solid proof behind it's worthless...

As for you DG, in contrast with YF, you tried to stand by your words by investing time and efforts to show us pieces of your experiences, informations, proofs and so on.
And to be honest, I know that it is very difficult to show the differences between the use and not-use of 2T oil.
At the pressures that are inside of a high pressure pump even a wear of sub-micron dimensions can render the pump useless. And such a wear can't be shown so easily on some pictures.
But at least you tried and, like I've said, you've invested time and efforts to show us something.
For that I admire you and tend to believe you more than I believe YF.

I will stop here with the teasing part and I will take a step back on this thread/issue, until I will see a solid, official proof of it.
Until then, have fun and happy motoring, with or without 2T oil. Thumbs Up

Post #96397 24th Mar 2011 8:32 pm
chicken george

Maybe he used 2T oil since buying the van? or he bought it used and the previous owner did who knows.

As I am the owner of nine diesel engined vehicles I do welcome anything that may aid their reliability, but I do need more proof than has been shown so far At work
At home

Post #96398 24th Mar 2011 8:34 pm
kaanage

Australia 

chicken george wrote:
I wont be keeping my car much beyond 50,000, so do not feel like dosing with T2 oil in a unproven attempt to conserve it for a future owner

So I take it you're only talking about your industrial machinery?

ChrisLab wrote:

Ditto. And this is true of all the other forums where I have been trying to research this topic (which is quite a few) - there have only been recommendations or else people saying there was no noticable effect - no posts showing damage (there was someone early in this thread who claimed their car stopped just after adding 2 stroke oil but that was shown to be caused by something else, entirely).

I fully understand Alex's scepticism and understand his desire for some level of proof - recommending a practise to others is not the same as trying something out for yourself.

athelstan, you seem to have an axe to grind.

Thanks for all your efforts, DiscoGeorge - you've convinced me.

Post #96406 24th Mar 2011 10:02 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 38 of 93 <123 ... 373839 ... 919293>