« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Windscreen Relacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
telfire

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Santorini Black
Windscreen Relacement

Was unfortunate enough today to somehow get a small chip in my windscreen thats turned into a 6" long crack now.! Big Cry

Well I guess it happens. So anyway I rang my insurance broker and after a lot of to an fro and learning that I have to pay £50 excess I was told to call Autoglass Windscreens Shocked Whilst talking to autoglass I was assured I would get a compatable windscreen but it would not have the Landrover logo on it... So I insisted if its not a genuine part then I don't want it on my car.

Phoned the broker again and was told that their product was up to the spec required.. Thats when I started to lose it a bit. My point to them was I insured a genuine Landrover vehicle with you and I want a genuine replacement part fitted to replace the broken part.!! I don't think its much to ask as all the glass in the vehicle has Landrover stamped on it and we're talking about a car thats only 9 months old.

Autoglass are now waiting to hear back from the insurance company to see if they will approve my wish. I said if you're not prepared to replace a part 'like for like' then whats the point of you agreeing to insuring it in the first place. I want all my glass to look the same, also could it de-value the car as you'd be able to see the original screen has been replaced. Thankfully its not a heated screen as my local main said if there was ever a problem with the heated screen then the Landrover warranty would'nt cover it.

I'm also told you can't repair a crack in a screen, only a small chip Big Cry

Am I over reacting? Or do others see it from my point of view. telfire

2010 Freelander 2 Black TD4-e with Privacy Glass
(White side Repeaters)..... SOLD

2011 Honda CRV-EX 2.2 Diesel Black.. Much better customer service than Land Rover..

Post #94677 9th Mar 2011 9:10 pm
maffs

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Santorini Black

Fully see your point and a point that i'd argue too. Thumbs Up

Post #94681 9th Mar 2011 9:42 pm
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

No i think thats a fair thing to ask for but as all things in life the insurance companies dont realy give a dam and will fit the cheapest parts they can

Post #94682 9th Mar 2011 9:46 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

i got a replacement screen from autoglass, given the like for like without the logo, same factory blah blah blah

rear view miroor kept falling off, even before i got off there forecourt, replaced with genuine LR glass

solarflare was its name, piece of Censored Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #94683 9th Mar 2011 9:48 pm
telfire

Well I havent given up the fight as yet. Am waiting for a call back from Autoglass to hear what the insurance company say.

Why should we settle for aftermarket parts via the insurance company? They charge us enough for cover as it is. telfire

2011 Honda CRV-EX 2.2 Diesel Black.. Much better customer service than Land Rover..

Post #94684 9th Mar 2011 9:50 pm
telfire

Quote:
rear view miroor kept falling off, even before i got off there forecourt, replaced with genuine LR glass

solarflare was its name, piece of

So did autoglass replace it with genuine LR or did you have to go elsewhere Nick?? telfire

Post #94686 9th Mar 2011 9:53 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

replaced on the autoglass guarantee

they were fine about it, apart from they didn't say anything, and when i went to adjust my mirror it fell off, when i went in he gave the "sorry i was going to tell you but....."

but it did mean i went back twice for the same job Confused Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #94691 9th Mar 2011 10:00 pm
dunroof

Autoglass will use Pilkington glass. It's exactly the same a Land Rover replacement glass, after all Pilkington make it for them, but without the logo. So yes, you are being over fussy in this instance.

Most insurance companies have a 50/60/75 excess IF you accept their replacement windscreen. If you don't, depending on the company, it will be a 100 minimum excess.

I've had a new LR with a cracked screen and had it replaced with Pilkington, it's every bit as good. You can always obscure it with your tax disc if it's giving you sleepless nights.

Post #94693 9th Mar 2011 10:10 pm
richardk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Aintree Green

Is there a spate of windscreen bashing? Mine got whacked by a 'hoofin' great stone yesterday right in the drivers view causing a 2cm star shaped crack

I'm with Privie insurance and went to Autoglass....rang after noon and was in the shop by 16:00. So far screen looks good and a great service..time will tell I guess

That's the first windscreen that needs replacing for me in 25+years...cost me £75

Time for a new car LOL

Post #94695 9th Mar 2011 10:13 pm
taztastic

England 

Insurance companies make me physically wretch, bunch of investment bankers who didn't quite make it so they find a different way to shaft the public.

I feel like sending my insurance premium in Korean wan next time and telling them its still real money just a compatible one has been used to keep costs down!! any way rant over.

Personally glass is pretty much glass, (cue anal glass expert) if you are subjecting it too a torrent of stones and grime why bother too much, I doubt a second hand buyer will argue over a replacement screen, to be honest after a few thousand miles a new screen should be better than an old one.

I can see the OP's point...but...in reality as long as the workmanship is up to scratch, wouldn't bother me.

Paul

Post #94696 9th Mar 2011 10:18 pm
ad210358

England 

But as the OP has stated, for those with a heated screen and three years LR warranty having a non LR screen fitted and you have a problem with it in thirteen months time your Censored p****d off with a Digital Keyboard Warrior

Post #94707 9th Mar 2011 11:05 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

ad210358 wrote:
But as the OP has stated, for those with a heated screen and three years LR warranty having a non LR screen fitted and you have a problem with it in thirteen months time your Censored

Interesting point, my replacement Autoglass screen had a faulty heating element - replaced less than a week later under the Autoglass 12 months warranty. No fuss just gave them a ring and they canged it within a few days.
But if it had failed 13 months later and the vehicle was still under LR warranty you are looking at an expensive repair, unless the insurance company are "offering" to warrant the replacement part including labour for the remaining LR warranty period? Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #94774 10th Mar 2011 2:22 pm
telfire

Result...!!!

Have just heard back from Autoglass who have told me my insurance company have agreed to me having a LR screen original part.

I'm told its about £150 more than a standard autoglass screen - It needs to be ordered in from LR which they have just done so should have it all in and sorted by the middle of next week I guess - But hey ho thats what I pay my insurance for isnt it?

I just checked with my broker who assures me the excess is still the same £50 and a screen claim won't affect my no claims discount.. Thumbs Up

Just for the record, if you ever have the misfortune to have to have your screen replaced, ensure that the new one is bonded in using Silka Urethane. Anything else and your screen could pop out in an accident ie if the car rolls over or the airbag goes off.

Theres some interesting videos on youtube on this.

Just goes to show if you don't shout and make a stand then you'll never know Thumbs Up telfire

Post #94776 10th Mar 2011 2:36 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Good for you! Thumbs Up
Now you know why you were fobbed off in the first instance. Cost!
If my screen was damaged i'd too insist on O/E glass. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #94812 10th Mar 2011 8:47 pm
Gunfa

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver

Well done telfire for sticking with it and getting what you wanted, I have no love lost for insurance companies but I can see that keeping costs down could help keep premiums down and if a replacement screen is exactly the same quality as a Genuine Land Rover screen, but without the logo I can see the reason they supply it.

It is a well known fact that if it says Land Rover on it, it will cost more than the equivalant without the Logo. What if there were no hypothetical situations?

Post #94818 10th Mar 2011 9:41 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>