Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Windscreen Relacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
superspark

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Izmir Blue

Good on you for sticking to your guns, these companies think they can get away with daylight robbery Thumbs Up

Post #94819 10th Mar 2011 9:58 pm
Nick42

You are quite right to insist on an OEM screen. I went through exactly the same process with Autoglass over a new screen on my M3 a few years back, they gave me the same "its made by Pilkingtons and will be just the same as the BMW one as they all come from the same factory" rubbish and I fell for it.

When the screen was fitted it did indeed have a Pilkington logo on it but the quality of screen was appalling, you could actually see the lamination inside and when the sun shone through it was all cloudy. To cut a long story short after many phone calls and letters they sent a tech. support guy out to look at it who agreed straight away that it was not good enough and phoned the office to order an OEM one for me which was fitted a few days later.

They may all come from the same factory but don't think for a minute that all the screens that they make are the same, they most certainly are not, the difference was incredible.

Post #94833 11th Mar 2011 12:28 am
stownrow

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Indus Silver

Nick42 wrote:
You are quite right to insist on an OEM screen. I went through exactly the same process with Autoglass over a new screen on my M3 a few years back, they gave me the same "its made by Pilkingtons and will be just the same as the BMW one as they all come from the same factory" rubbish and I fell for it.

When the screen was fitted it did indeed have a Pilkington logo on it but the quality of screen was appalling, you could actually see the lamination inside and when the sun shone through it was all cloudy. To cut a long story short after many phone calls and letters they sent a tech. support guy out to look at it who agreed straight away that it was not good enough and phoned the office to order an OEM one for me which was fitted a few days later.

They may all come from the same factory but don't think for a minute that all the screens that they make are the same, they most certainly are not, the difference was incredible.

Hi all,

Just been offered a Pilkington screen! got a small crack in the screen Sad

I've asked them for an OEM which he said could take 4 weeks and would have to be checked with my insurance company! Hope I'm able to win this! 

Post #97629 4th Apr 2011 12:36 pm
stownrow

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Indus Silver

Good news! As my car is less than 3 years old they will be ordering me a brand new OEM screen! wooo!! Smile 

Post #97650 4th Apr 2011 3:08 pm
Mona Geeza

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Stornoway Grey

Nick42 wrote:

T

Yep, Ive had that too, supposed to be same quality as the original, but the laminated centre film always showed a milkyness, not very good at all. wouldnt surprise me in the least if these companies still charge the insurance company the same as an original screen anyway when they send the bill in, just they make a little bit more from it hence why they push for it. I was only wrong once and thats when I thought I was but wasnt.

2010 Freelander 2 XS Stornaway Grey
2010 Aston DBS Morning Frost
2010 Bentley Continental Brooklands Green

Post #97671 4th Apr 2011 6:13 pm
claw

England 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey

Had a Pilkington screen fitted last week (after a chip turned into a crack(hiding in front of the tax disc so i couldn't see it!)).
Anyway, maybe its me but the new screen appears better than the old one. On the original, in certain light the heated element would really show up, compared to the one on my Ford Focus. This one is far better, or maybe the original was a dud. (car a March '10). More than happy with my replacement.

Post #97792 5th Apr 2011 9:54 am
telfire

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e S Manual Santorini Black

Got an original landrover screen fitted to mine in the end. Had to fight for it though.. The autoglass fitter told me when he fitted it that most BMW and Merc drivers insist on OEM as it can de-value the car by upto £1000

Sold my freely now. but hey ho I still wanted it right.....

Don't get fobbed off as thats what you pay your insurance for Thumbs Up telfire

2010 Freelander 2 Black TD4-e with Privacy Glass
(White side Repeaters)..... SOLD

2011 Honda CRV-EX 2.2 Diesel Black.. Much better customer service than Land Rover..

Post #97796 5th Apr 2011 10:21 am
Warkman

2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Just be glad its not a Mondeo Titanium screen.
One of my collegues had to get one relaced, first of all Autoglass didnt have one and then the cost was over £900 as it has heating eolement, auto lights and windscreen wipers sensore in the damned thing!

had to put it through the insurance and pay the £100 excess in the end...

Post #103279 25th May 2011 8:38 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12