« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > New car, I'm not happy :-(
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 10 12345678910>
Print this entire topic · 
MightyMildred

United Kingdom 
New car, I'm not happy :-(

Took delivery of new MY11 TD4 HSE on Tuesday, drove it home from Cumbria and thought hmmm that's not the same noise as the last one made. It made a very high pitched whistle on acceleration-above the nice engine sound. Also when you rest your hand on the gear stick there is quite a bit of er vibration! Something none of my other freelanders have done. The car went back to the dealer today. They say that all the new cars are making this noise, down to the new turbo. Well this turbo whistle is bloomin annoying and the twitching gear stick is just bizarre. I'm hoping it's going to settle down as the car gets some miles done... If not, well I don't know what I'll do. At the moment I wish I'd just kept mildred. I'm gutted. It's going to be at the dealer until at least Monday until they decide if the twitching gear stick is normal. Big Cry

Post #94169 4th Mar 2011 10:04 pm
zoey

United States 

Straight away you should have the dealer remove the turbo, and have them mail it to me. This appears to be your only option at this point. Wink

Sorry you're having problems. Honestly, I don't think that putting a few more miles on it will make much of a difference, but I could be wrong. I hope, for your sake, I am.

Post #94188 5th Mar 2011 3:41 am
Wintermute

Turkey 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

If you are not happy, refuse the car? 2010 Freelander 2 Select TD4 auto....gone
2011 Freelander 2 TD4 auto ...current

Post #94190 5th Mar 2011 7:12 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

certainly some posters have mentioned turbo whistle, but it should never be so bad/loud as to be annoying or intrusive !!

there should be no vibration felt through the gear lever and this does sound like a fault and I would also agree that this would not get any better with miles, probably worse if anything.

one of the things that always delights me with my FL2 every time I drive it is the incredible gear change and can appreciate your concerns.

hope you manage to get it sorted.............keep us updated

Iain

Post #94196 5th Mar 2011 9:01 am
weirdfish

England 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Stornoway Grey

The turbo seemed overly loud to me too, however, 1500 miles on and it's either quietened down or I've just got used to it. Either way I don't notice it now. For a free country, it does seem pretty expensive these days.

Post #94204 5th Mar 2011 10:04 am
Wintermute

Turkey 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Stornoway Grey

You know that the new 2011 TD4 is a different engine?

The sound might be different from the previous ones as well. Thumbs Up 2010 Freelander 2 Select TD4 auto....gone
2011 Freelander 2 TD4 auto ...current

Post #94205 5th Mar 2011 10:18 am
MightyMildred

United Kingdom 

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have a plan. I'm going to drive to the dealer today and ask for a test drive in an identical car. I'd better do it today because I've been on compassionate leave after a death in my family and there's just no way I can get the time off to trail across to Cumbria.
The gear stick thing is weird. When driving your car feel the gear stick- in MY08 and MY10 I can't feel anything, but in MY11 there is a definite vibration.
The turbo whistle... Read other posts on this one. It makes me furious! I've just spent 34k on this car for it to make a cheap nasty noise. I'm so disapointed. Sad((

Post #94212 5th Mar 2011 10:56 am
EYorkshire

Nothing worse than disappointment when purchasing a new car, mine is now 6 weeks old and from the outset has never given a turbo whistle so not all new cars make that sound.

Post #94213 5th Mar 2011 11:00 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

my Disco 2 did give turbo whistle until certain conditions and I quite liked to hear it, and did miss it a bit when I got the FL2.

but it sounds as if your's is at a different level ?

a test drive may help to clarify both your issues

Iain

Post #94220 5th Mar 2011 11:51 am
MightyMildred

United Kingdom 

Okay... So went to dealer yesterday and drove XS. There was a turbo whistle on the engine. Dealer says all their new cars make the same noise. Then drove my car. The turbo whistle is slightly louder in mine (more audible on drivers side). They've had a good look at it and say there is nothing mechanically wrong. So my question is why are some whistling and others are not? What is the origin of the noise?
The gear stick- vibration has gone but it just doesn't feel quite the same as demo car. Um I'm going to put this down to it being a different car. Boyf drove it and said he thought it was fine.
I have the car at home now so will see what happens over the week.
Would be very interested to hear if anyone is experiencing issues with their new one
cheers

Post #94360 6th Mar 2011 9:08 pm
Mark12

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Ipanema Sand

MightyMildred wrote:
Okay... So went to dealer yesterday and drove XS. There was a turbo whistle on the engine. Dealer says all their new cars make the same noise. Then drove my car. The turbo whistle is slightly louder in mine (more audible on drivers side). They've had a good look at it and say there is nothing mechanically wrong. So my question is why are some whistling and others are not? What is the origin of the noise?
The gear stick- vibration has gone but it just doesn't feel quite the same as demo car. Um I'm going to put this down to it being a different car. Boyf drove it and said he thought it was fine.
Would be very interested to hear if anyone is experiencing issues with their new one
cheers

I pick up my new MY11 TD4 HSE tomorrow so I will let you know if it exhibits any of the problems you describe.

Post #94361 6th Mar 2011 9:14 pm
Mark12

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Ipanema Sand

Mark12 wrote:
MightyMildred wrote:
cheers

I pick up my new MY11 TD4 HSE tomorrow so I will let you know if it exhibits any of the problems you describe.

Well I have had my car for 24 hours now and I cannot hear any turbo whistle or feel any vibration through the gear level.

Post #94523 8th Mar 2011 3:34 pm
PaulC

United Kingdom 

Had my SD4 HSE for a week - no whistle. No vibrations - ANYWHERE! Thumbs Up

Post #94546 8th Mar 2011 9:12 pm
Captain Worm

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Narvik Black

I think this is a bit subjective... If I listen carefully my MY 2007 will whisle, especially with the windows open, but if I put hte radio on and shut the wondows I dont not hear anything... Are you just listening for it or is it a genuine annoyance...?

If is is whisteling, it could be a blown turbo in which case check your exhaust for blue smoke and see if you see any perfomance problems, especially under load. Freelander 2 TD4 Auto, SE, Narvik Black, Alpaca full leather, Rear Headrest Entertainment System, 6 CD, 18 HSE Wheels, Privicy tints

Post #94574 8th Mar 2011 10:37 pm
MightyMildred

United Kingdom 

Hi, thanks for everyone's replies.
Have driven car quite a bit now, 500 miles to be precise Smile
1) turbo whistle can be heard above radio (vol setting 12) on acceleration. And, yeah I do find it annoying cos it's a cheap nasty noise that my 2008 didn't make.
2) definately new car not as powerful- understand this is due to new engine?
3) gear thing... Best way to describe this is to have a go yourself- do 50-60mph on straight level road, maintain speed (light pressure on accelerator) place left hand on gear stick, ease off gas, gear lever twitches slightly. Ok so I'm a freak! But none of my cars have ever done that. It's nothing major compared to the turbo irritation.
Thinking of taking it to TVLR for a second opinion.
What would you guys do? Should I just shut up and be thankful my ears are young enough to hear the whistle? Wink

Post #94797 10th Mar 2011 5:33 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 10 12345678910>