Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Auto driving tips after years with a manual
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Big Dave

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Sorry Trev I only skimmed the posts...it's my break between working!

The D3 had twin filament bulbs in both the sidelights and tailights so they could be swapped when they went, then eventually we went through all 4 Evil or Very Mad Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35
Family's: 2009 Freelander 2 HSE TD4 Auto, Stornoway

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #89888 27th Jan 2011 1:56 am
Bill Turner

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

Do what our American friends do.
Right foot for Go.
Left foot for Stop.

Used this method for years, more a hang over from rallying, Right foot flat on the floor,
brake with left foot, round goes the tail and you have turned left or right depending upon which way the stage goes.
Also useful for us caravanner's to stop the outfit fro rolling back on a hill start.

Bill Turner. Life Honorary Member of Wallasey Motor Club.
Licenced MSA Radio Operator for 35+ years.
Rallying is the only sport.

Post #89925 27th Jan 2011 2:27 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

The correct way to set off from the lights is:-

Wait 4 foot behind whiteline
Left foot on brake.
Hold revs at 1800-2000 with right foot.
When lights change to amber plant right foot into carpet and lift left foot - smile.
By the time the lights are green you will be passing white line
Ignore fuel consumption .
Go deaf as SWMBO has just split coffee all over herself - again.

Shocked

Can't say I have every tried it myself, a man in the pub told me. Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #89945 27th Jan 2011 6:54 pm
Big Dave

Whilst in sand mode Andy...makes a huge difference Thumbs Up Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #89955 27th Jan 2011 7:37 pm
PaulC

United Kingdom 

Bow down Bow down Bow down

Post #89962 27th Jan 2011 8:06 pm
greengiant

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Lago Grey

I don't bother with the handbrake at traffic lights and junctions because you have to put your foot on the brake anyway to put it in drive, something which took me a while to get used to because all my other autos never had to do that Big Cry 09 FL2 HSE auto Lago Grey
71 Triumph Stag 3L
68 NGTCV8 3.5L

Post #89992 28th Jan 2011 12:50 am
PaulC

United Kingdom 

At traffic lights or anywhere where you have to wait for more than a few seconds you should always put the handbrake on if nothing else.

It is all very well just holding on the foot brake but there is the brake lights issue as has already been mentioned, but also what if someone taps you from behind? It is quite common in that situation for your foot to get knocked off the brake pedal and then you are off and running!!!

My advice is to use the handbrake in the exactly the same way you would on any car and not to do anything differently.

Whether you put it in to N or leave in D is a completely different matter and down to your personal choice and the type of car being driven.

Post #90002 28th Jan 2011 8:43 am
trevd01

2011 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

PaulC wrote:
At traffic lights or anywhere where you have to wait for more than a few seconds you should always put the handbrake on if nothing else.

I have had two automatic cars, A Mercedes C Class and a Toyota Prius Mr. Green , that did not have a 'handbrake', both had a foot operated 'parking brake'. Neither were suitible for use at traffic lights.

In my experience in the US, most US drivers don't bother with the parking brake at all unless parked on a steep slope 'leaving in 'P' is regarded as sufficient on the flat.

If you are stopped on your footbrake only and you see somebody behind you that might not stop in time, you can at least move forward into the gap you have sensibly left from the car in front, to try and lessen the impact. Rolling Eyes

So I basically only put my parking brake (AKA handbrake) on when I turn the engine off. Wink

BTW I've posted this link before; sensible advice here

http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/adviceandi...boxes.aspx Trevor

'60 reg SD4 XS (long gone!)

Post #90016 28th Jan 2011 11:16 am
Big Dave

You can only move forward if you're looking in your mirrors though, which you won't be cos you're getting ready to do the perfect launch from the lights Thumbs Up

Also by owning a Prius you're opinion isn't relevant Whistle Mr. Green Rolling with laughter Ner Ner Mine: 2012 Golf GTI Edition 35

Yorkshire - God's County

Post #90035 28th Jan 2011 3:10 pm
Andy131

United Kingdom 

Big Dave wrote:
You can only move forward if you're looking in your mirrors though, which you won't be cos you're getting ready to do the perfect launch from the lights Thumbs Up

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Also by owning a Prius you're opinion isn't relevant Whistle Mr. Green Rolling with laughter Ner Ner

Not wishing to be rude Very Happy But up to 45K LandRovers are the greenest cars available thanks to carbon offsetting - so why would anybody but a slow thirsty polluting prius?
Keep buying new LandRovers every couple of years - there's a flaw in this arguament somewhere but I'm too blinkered to listen Wink Tangiers Orange - gone, missing her
Replaced by Ewok what a mistake - now a happy Disco Sport owner

Post #90082 29th Jan 2011 8:36 am
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

Andy131 wrote:

Not wishing to be rude Very Happy But up to 45K LandRovers are the greenest cars available thanks to carbon offsetting - so why would anybody but a slow thirsty polluting prius?

bunging a load of offset cash to some tree planting project or other, does not make a car green, its a f'ing ridiculous guilt easer for people.

however LR's tend to be greener because they seem to last longer, or people are prepared to repair them longer, so the working life of the car is greener per mile

pious's are not green at all I don't understand how they convinced the general public that they are Rolling Eyes , I guess people used to trust toyota At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #90084 29th Jan 2011 10:08 am
trevd01

Big Dave wrote:

Also by owning a Prius you're opinion isn't relevant Whistle Mr. Green Rolling with laughter Ner Ner

Ownership: Four Landrovers vs One Prius Laughing Trevor

Post #90086 29th Jan 2011 11:23 am
trevd01

Big Dave wrote:

Ownership: Four Landrovers vs One Prius Laughing Trevor

Post #90087 29th Jan 2011 11:23 am
richardk

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Aintree Green

chicken george wrote:
Andy131 wrote:

bunging a load of offset cash to some tree planting project or other, does not make a car green, its a f'ing ridiculous guilt easer for people.

however LR's tend to be greener because they seem to last longer, or people are prepared to repair them longer, so the working life of the car is greener per mile

pious's are not green at all I don't understand how they convinced the general public that they are Rolling Eyes , I guess people used to trust toyota

Mine is the greenest Land Rover I've ever owned..it's Galway green to be precise

If they don't plant more tress that will absorb CO2 then rot down in lakes...how would we get more natutally occuring oil..it's all a natural lifecyle that gives the government load of tax income

I want an auto next so all these tips are handy thank you

Post #90132 29th Jan 2011 9:13 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

you'll be waiting a long time for them trees to become oil Laughing . let us farmers grow rape and wheat for biofuels instead. shame it takes as much tractor fuel and gas to grow the crops and make fertiliser as they produce in biofuel Rolling Eyes

yes fertiliser is made from natural gas . strange but true, so biofeul is ultimately made from natural gas,

some farmers though use chicken manure as fertiliser instead, these farmers are the good guys and should be rewarded, a few nights with Angeline Jolie every month seems suitable recompense Whistle At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #90156 29th Jan 2011 11:37 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>