Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > FAILED CLUTCH SLAVE CYLINDER (NOW SOLVED, BUT INTERESTING)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Stevea

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

Cheers for the advice / comments mudflap... I'll let you guys know how I get on...
The car has full land rover service history from the same dealer I purchased the car from new, so here's hoping! Just annoyed that's it was less than 20 days out of warranty when it was reported... 2008 SE, HSE wheels, Black Premium Leather, Privacy Glass, Sports Kit, Side Steps, various LED upgrades and Clear side indicators.

Post #87764 12th Jan 2011 11:07 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

You can always talk to warranty watchdog people. Also, just because the warranty is out does not mean you cannot assert your rights under S.14 of the Sale of Goods Act 1979. S.48B of the Act is also useful. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #87766 12th Jan 2011 11:28 pm
ad210358

England 

It's of no help to Mudflap but after reading his tales of woe I feel even happier to be going Auto.

Post #87828 13th Jan 2011 6:41 pm
Stevea

Arggggh Landrover Big Cry

Not yet finished, but my discussions with Landrover are not going great... they refuse to play ball, sticking to their 66% offer, saying that they will provide another 12 month warranty on the new clutch. I'm expecting a call back from a senior manager tomorrow.
Full landrover service history, relative low milage (under 30k in 3 years) no tow bar, what more do they want! I wonder if their stance would be different if the car was still in warranty.. although it did only go out of warranty on the 14th December with the issue being reported to my dealer on the 4th Jan...

Anyway, worth checking for clutch slip on your own cars, for me it happens in 4th, 5th and 6th gears, between 1800 and 2200 RPM, and it's got noticeably worse over the last week or so.

seconds out for round two!... the gloves are now off, LR be warned.

Steve 2008 SE, HSE wheels, Black Premium Leather, Privacy Glass, Sports Kit, Side Steps, various LED upgrades and Clear side indicators.

Post #87855 13th Jan 2011 9:32 pm
The Doctor

United Kingdom 

Hit them with the legislation I mentioned above mate, it might catch them off guard. Also speak to the car warranty watchdog people. LL.B (Hons) - University of Derby
LOT (Lord of Time) - University of Gallifrey

Post #87873 13th Jan 2011 10:52 pm
Stevea

Update: Picked the car up this evening from my dealer with a new clutch fitted... paid for in full, i'm pleased to report, by Landrover Very Happy

After the clutch was removed yesterday and examined, it was diagnosed as faulty, rather than normal wear / tear. After the dealer submitted their findings, Landrover agreed to replace the clutch free of charge. Credit where credit due considering the car is out of warranty and that i was expecting to at least contribute something towards the costs..., just a shame Landrover made me jump through a few hoops to get their...

Anyway, cheers for the advice guys, luckily, i didn't have to get too heavy with them...

Lets just hope this one last more than 29k miles!!!

Thumbs Up 2008 SE, HSE wheels, Black Premium Leather, Privacy Glass, Sports Kit, Side Steps, various LED upgrades and Clear side indicators.

Post #88578 18th Jan 2011 7:32 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Happy endng thank goodess.

I'd be interested in exactly what was wrong with the 'faulty clutch'. Can you throw anymore light? It was 'your' clutch after all.
Although i suspect the dealer will try to hide the evidence.
It could help some members on this forum. Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #88582 18th Jan 2011 7:47 pm
Stevea

Afraid i don't have much information, other than it was not normal wear and tear... When i picked the car up, the service manager was busy with another customer, so I didn't get a chance to speak to him... nor was i provided with any paper work / job sheet etc... I was thinking about giving them a call tomorrow to find out what the problem was - if i find out, i'll post on here.. 2008 SE, HSE wheels, Black Premium Leather, Privacy Glass, Sports Kit, Side Steps, various LED upgrades and Clear side indicators.

Post #88584 18th Jan 2011 7:54 pm
Pegleg

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Santorini Black

Thanks for trying.
Thumbs Up Another member of the failed FL2 clutch/DMF club, twice.

Post #88585 18th Jan 2011 8:00 pm
paulbes

2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Bali Blue
Dreaded FL2 Clutch slip

Well, unfortunately I have joined the long and indistinguished list of clutch slippers. Sheep
Fl2 TD4e XS with nearly 52K on a59plate - dont ask!!. but still in warranty.

Just dropped it off to Parks of Ayr (who I dont use for servicing as they are dear and I get a better service from my Local Independant guy- Parks service manager left to go work here) there goes a couple of points..... Crying or Very sad

However this is my 3rd Freelander as I have already written in my letter to LR Customer Service (Pre-emtive shot across the bows Rolling Eyes ) 2003 FL1 3dr Hard top 121000 miles no clutch replaced, 2006 5door FL1 26000 miles.

I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks as ever to all on this forum for enlightening us to the great and not so great bits of owning a Landy.

Paul

Post #124253 19th Dec 2011 1:21 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

I must add that any clutch replaced that's fitted with a concentric clutch slave internally in the gearbox should be replaced when a clutch is changed ! It is false economy and not a matter of if, but when it fails. I spent 30 years in the motor trade & twenty in the clutch/gearbox repair center.
If a clutch is replaced whilst under warranty offer to pay to have the slave replaced at the same time.
I always replaced them & if a customer refused to pay for a slave I used to ask them to sign a disclaimer. I never had any sympathy when they returned with a failed slave 4-7 months later ! Rolling with laughter

Post #124281 19th Dec 2011 8:16 pm
Dunk

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Nazca Sand
Re: SIGH OF RELIEF

Mudflap wrote:
Turns out not to be the slave cylinder. Local dealer had a car in with the same problem (clutch pedal dropped to floor and no clutch) at the same time as mine .
On the other car, the Dealer was puzzled initially since they had replaced the clutch hydraulics a few weeks previously. Closer examination revealed a defective "o" ring seal in a pipe join somewhere under the bulkhead panels. Required a bit of stripping away to get at it I am told. This defect allowed air to get into the system which caused the clutch to fail.
Having found the root cause on the other car, they did the same check on my car and found it had the same fault. New O ring solved the problem. (TBH, still curious how it came to fail).
So, if you suffer a failed clutch (with the same symptons) suggest you ask the dealer to do the above checks. Repair will cost you 1.5 hours labour and less than a tenner in materials. Dealer rates means it will still cost £160 or so but sooooo much cheaper than gearbox removal etc etc.

Happy ending this time around.

I know this is an old post but has anyone else had this problem? car in garage now after being towed off of motorway and their initial response was 'we're not sure what the problem is'?! No fluid leaks anywhere, level well up in reservoir etc but I basically had no clutch, went to the floor and stayed there...........

Post #134834 6th Mar 2012 12:28 pm
Dunk

2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Nazca Sand
Re: SIGH OF RELIEF

Dunk wrote:
Mudflap wrote:
Turns out not to be the slave cylinder. Local dealer had a car in with the same problem (clutch pedal dropped to floor and no clutch) at the same time as mine .
On the other car, the Dealer was puzzled initially since they had replaced the clutch hydraulics a few weeks previously. Closer examination revealed a defective "o" ring seal in a pipe join somewhere under the bulkhead panels. Required a bit of stripping away to get at it I am told. This defect allowed air to get into the system which caused the clutch to fail.
Having found the root cause on the other car, they did the same check on my car and found it had the same fault. New O ring solved the problem. (TBH, still curious how it came to fail).
So, if you suffer a failed clutch (with the same symptons) suggest you ask the dealer to do the above checks. Repair will cost you 1.5 hours labour and less than a tenner in materials. Dealer rates means it will still cost £160 or so but sooooo much cheaper than gearbox removal etc etc.

Happy ending this time around.

I know this is an old post but has anyone else had this problem? car in garage now after being towed off of motorway and their initial response was 'we're not sure what the problem is'?! No fluid leaks anywhere, level well up in reservoir etc but I basically had no clutch, went to the floor and stayed there...........

Slave gone, new clutch a DMF now to be fitted........can't complain really as the car has done over 90k on the original clutch so it was about due I guess Sad

Post #135302 8th Mar 2012 10:01 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12