« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Technical > Compatible mobiles
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 9 <123456789>
Print this entire topic · 
joe1978

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Fuji White

boiledgnat wrote:
I'm sure you've checked, but are both phones running exactly the same firmware version ?

For SE phones, I've found the davinci team site to be really useful for updates etc. It seems odd that your friends 750 won't work in your car either - are you going through the normal pairing process so that his phone has the correct bluetooth pin entered ?

Sorry if you've tried all this already. Are you both on the same mobile network? (this is a potential straw clutch moment!)

Not as clutching at straws as you may think. Nearly all the networks change a phones behavior in some way, some networks worse than others. AFAIK tomtom are having pronlems with 3 networks using the treffic info because of 3 software on compatible phones.

joe MY11 Fuji white Td4 150 GS straight up no mixer.

Post #6337 7th Sep 2007 12:48 pm
NightFox

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Tambora Flame
Re: PDA Cellphones

Steve H wrote:
looney_loey wrote:
With regards to PDA Cellphones... I'm using a T-Mobile (USA) MDA with Windows Mobile 5
(HTC Wizard Model)

I was able to make it work with my LR2 in minutes after doing the pairing and setting-up the Port to receieve it.

Here's the procedure: (NOTE: May vary with other Phone Models please proceed with caution)

On your PDA
1. go to bluetooth setting
2. make sure it's on and discoverable
3. create a new partnership
4. "My Car" will appear as a new Bluetooth device
5. Select service to use from this device (if prompted)
6. Check the "Hands Free" box and save setting
7. on COM Ports select INCOMING PORT and choose a PORT - (ex. COM7)

(this maybe the problem I see with other phones... when i connect to my GPS receiver
(got Tomtom6 for PDA) I use OUTGOING PORT as my PDA connects TO MY GPS DEVICE for satellite signal right? ...right!

TO ALLOW OTHER DEVICES to CONNECT (like the case of LR2 BT telephone system) you need INCOMING PORT to open-up, IT IS THE OTHER WAY AROUND, YOUR LR2 is the one connecting to your phone.

Hope this would help. Very Happy

Thanks I have now been able to pair my MDA Compact III (WM5) successfully. It worked first time following the steps quoted. I haven't tried all functions yet but the basic calling and phone book meus are fine.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

You CAN'T have got your MDAC III working just like that, please tell me you're winding me up!

I've been trying to do this for 3 months, including flashing different ROMs, changing Bluetooth stacks, changing the registry, and you do it without any problems at all! I HATE YOU!!! (Nothing personal!) Wink

It's just got me wondering whether there's actually a fault with my phone, or maybe even there are different software versions on the car kit...

I suppose I should take comfort in the fact that I do at least know what I'm trying to do is possible.

As soon as I get home tonight I'm going to re-flash the original T-Mobile WM5 ROM and start again.

Would you mind confirming exactly what you did, as far as you can remember, particularly were there any of the above steps you DIDN'T need to take? For example, did you need to do Steps 5, 6 and 7 or did 5 and 6 happen by themselves?

Also, do you know how new your car is? Did you have to wait for it to be built, or was it sourced from existing stock?

Any help really appreciated Steve!

Post #6339 7th Sep 2007 1:10 pm
NightFox

Steve,

One more question, do you use bluetooth to sync your phone with a PC? And if you do, do you use ActiveSync (XP) or Vista's Mobile Device Centre?

If you don't, is your phone paired with any other device (or has it been)?

OK, so that's 3 questions not 1.

Question Question Question

Post #6341 7th Sep 2007 1:27 pm
Steve H

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Stornoway Grey

NightFox wrote:
Steve,

One more question, do you use bluetooth to sync your phone with a PC? And if you do, do you use ActiveSync (XP) or Vista's Mobile Device Centre?

If you don't, is your phone paired with any other device (or has it been)?

OK, so that's 3 questions not 1.

Question Question Question

I have to admit that I tried last night for a final time not really expecting much success. I had even been and obtained a pay as you go SIM for my son's old SE 750i and been using that for the last month.
However I thought it worth a try using looney_loey's notes. Previous attempts had never resulted in the handsfree option showing on the PDA but this time once the pairing was set up there it was already checked! I wonder whether having been using the 750i has forced the correct set up options on the car kit?
In answer to the PC synch question I use Active sync but via a USB cable.
I take it you have been using the car kit with another phone, if not try setting up a pairng with a compatible phone first and use it for a while then retry the MDA Compact set up.
Good luck! D3 GS Java Black TDV6 Manual

Post #6365 7th Sep 2007 7:27 pm
Steve H

I've been out and tried the MDA III again and it appears once the pairing is set up it works every time. However I now have another issue. Once the phonebook is copied across because I have home landline, work landline and mobile numbers stored against a lot of my entries the car kit displays multiple entries of the same name. As there is no number shown I have no way of knowing whether I am calling the correct number. I reckon this is down to the way the contacts feature on the PDA interprets the Outlook contact entries. I guess I could download the phonebook to the car then disable auto copy and remove all but the minimum conatct details for each person. Anyone any ideas how to work round this? D3 GS Java Black TDV6 Manual

Post #6366 7th Sep 2007 8:03 pm
wildrover

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Indus Silver

Thanks Boiledgnat and Joe.
Already had checked for latest firmware on SE website and no update was necessary so I assumed was the same as my friends. However, i have now found out the sequence for viewing firmware version and turns out my firmware is newer. Other forums seem to indicate a major sound and camera issue with the firmware LR approve, hence the upgrade. Also, we use different networks. Checked Davinciteam website but they don't do a version for the network i use.
Also, friends car is several months newer. Checked with dealer and he is going to check with LR on monday if they have updated the PTI module since ours was assembled. Sounds good as friends 750i won't work in my F2 but works great in his and he went through the same setup as he did pairing it in his vehicle.
Annoying thing is i was debating between the K750i and the Nokia 6230i but went for the SE because of the reviews it got in pricerunner.co.uk
Thanks again for your ideas... Out with the old (2007 SE)
In with the new (2012 Dynamic with everything). Now also gone.

Post #6368 7th Sep 2007 8:22 pm
riverr02

United States 2007 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Successful pairing, WM5!!!

Success!!!

Managed to get the Cingular 8525 Windows Mobile 5 phone to successfully connect with my LR2- in Europe, this phone may go by other names, but it's the HTC TyTn. I tried many of the other suggestions from this forum, but never got it to work. So I tried different variations and finally stumbled upon a potential solution. This is what I remember doing:1. Go to Settings->Connections tab->Bluetooth
2. Make sure "Turn on Bluetooth" and "Make this device visible to other devices" are both checked on the Mode tab
3. On the COM ports, select New Incoming Port, then deselect the Security option and accept whatever port it gives you- for me, that was COM0
4. Initiate a connection from the LR2/FL2 and memorize the code it provides you, because you will likely have to enter it twice.
5. For me, the LR2 reported that the connection failed and I had to enter the code twice. You may need to go through this process several times (each new time don't forget to delete the pairings from both the LR2 and the phone)
6. Name the LR2 whatever you like on your phone
7. Eventually you will see a Handsfree option that will be checked show up under Partnership Settings- you may need to click on whatever you named your LR2 on the phone (ie under "Add new device..." on the Devices tab). Make sure the Handsfree option is selected and save.
8. Re-connect from your car

For me that did it. It was then able to connect, download my phonebook, and I was able to make and receive calls. Beautiful!!! Others have commented that you need to establish the pairing from the phone, but despite numerous attempts, that didn't work for me. It seems the key thing is setting up a New Incoming Port, and then setting up the connection. Interestingly, after setting up this port and you go to set up a pairing from the car, you may notice two Bluetooth options show up as discoverable- one with the name of your phone, the other with a hexadecimal code. Select the one with your name.

Now I haven't gotten back in the car to make sure it pairs back up consistently. But this is MUCH farther than I've ever gotten before. I'll let you know if I run into any problems.

Post #6431 9th Sep 2007 10:13 pm
NightFox

Everytime I think I've worked out what the problem is, I fix it, only to find it wasn't the problem after all.

I thought I had got it down to the COM port issue, as in WM6 there's no option to add an incoming COM port, as WM6 is meant to automatically manage these for you. So I spent hours trying to "force" the creation of a COM port, including reinstalling Windows XP on my Vista PC, all to no avail, so I decided just to re-flash my phone with the original WM5 ROM.

Having done that I went through the rigmarole of pairing it with the car and getting the "Hands Free" service working (9th attempt lucky) - That's It! I thought, so tried it. And I've got exactly what I had previously with WM6. Everything works, except the first call each time I have to change the PTI to "Privacy" and then back to "Hands Free". This is driving me mad! Are you really telling me none of you with WM5 or WM6 devices working are having to do this?

As an aside, you might want to look at www.jetwaremobile.com - it gets all the stuff like phonebook syncing and voice dialling working properly, and there's a 30 day free trial.

Post #6514 10th Sep 2007 10:36 pm
riverr02

United States 2007 LR2 i6 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
Follow-Up

I wouldn't say it's perfect. Far from it. Got back in the car today and it wouldn't connect again. After I rebooted the phone, the LR2 was then able to find and synchronize it without a problem. I then had variable degrees of success of being able to get back in the car after stepping out and having it recognize it. But I have made and received a few calls already, and it synchronizes the phonebook in a decent, if not entirely optimal, manner- far better than nothing.

All in all though, I agree with you NightFox that it shouldn't be this F'ing difficult. I love computers and gadgets, and I do enjoy troubleshooting things- to a point. However, something like this should just simply WORK, and as much as I love my LR2 I believe whomever Land Rover farmed this work to dropped the ball on this big time.

Post #6517 10th Sep 2007 11:15 pm
Steve H

NightFox wrote:
Everytime I think I've worked out what the problem is, I fix it, only to find it wasn't the problem after all.

I thought I had got it down to the COM port issue, as in WM6 there's no option to add an incoming COM port, as WM6 is meant to automatically manage these for you. So I spent hours trying to "force" the creation of a COM port, including reinstalling Windows XP on my Vista PC, all to no avail, so I decided just to re-flash my phone with the original WM5 ROM.

Having done that I went through the rigmarole of pairing it with the car and getting the "Hands Free" service working (9th attempt lucky) - That's It! I thought, so tried it. And I've got exactly what I had previously with WM6. Everything works, except the first call each time I have to change the PTI to "Privacy" and then back to "Hands Free". This is driving me mad! Are you really telling me none of you with WM5 or WM6 devices working are having to do this?

As an aside, you might want to look at www.jetwaremobile.com - it gets all the stuff like phonebook syncing and voice dialling working properly, and there's a 30 day free trial.

Crying or Very sad
Having told everyone that I had my MDAIII working last week (it did work for a couple of days honest!!)I have to hang my head in shame now!
It now connects and appears to sync ok but them refuses to dial either numbers from the phone book or individually entered numbers. If I try to search the phonebook it just hangs telling me its loading the book. If I try to make a call it indicates its dialling the number but them reverts to displaying the phone name. When it finally disconnects when I shut the car down the MDA suddenly decides to call the number I last tried. Back to the Sony Ericcson K750i. D3 GS Java Black TDV6 Manual

Post #6610 12th Sep 2007 12:42 pm
looney_loey

United States 

NightFox wrote:
Looney_Loey, could you perhaps ask your XDA friend if he knows what changes occur in the phone when it receives a command from the PTI to switch from privacy to hands-free, and vice versa? I'm hoping that if it's something as simple as a registry setting that flips between a 0 and a 1, I can just set it to 1 manually rather than have to go through the rigmarole of phoning somebody, selecting "privacy" and then "hands-free" again. Cheers!

Oh yah! why did'nt I think of that, maybe it could help...I was able to locate the registry for bluetooth devices my phone have paired with (yup I got a lot Laughing my PC, my MAC, wifes cell, friends cell, GPS, LR2, bluetooth headphone) I had a problem with some of them specifically my hand held GPS....let me see...

GOT IT!...hope you have a registry editor if not let me know maybe I can send you one.

Just follow these steps:

1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
2. click on SOFTWARE
3. click on MICROSOFT
4. click on BLUETOOTH
5. then DEVICE
6. under DEVICE there's 12 Alphanumeric titled folder/'s
7. then under these is SERVICE which contains the hands free data
8. IF your ENABLE value is set to 0 which i think is the default change it to 1

just hold on tight mate..i'm not giving up on you...SCARLETT here I come Rolling with laughter Do Not Follow Me...You Can't Go Where I Go!!!

.....up in the tree!!!

Post #6635 13th Sep 2007 4:03 am
looney_loey

United States 
Re: PDA Cellphones

Steve H wrote:
Thanks I have now been able to pair my MDA Compact III (WM5) successfully. It worked first time following the steps quoted. I haven't tried all functions yet but the basic calling and phone book meus are fine.

have you tried "voice command function"? so you won't need to use the phone book menu Very Happy

just click the green answer button for 2 seconds and say the name of the person your calling whaaala!!! Thumbs Up Do Not Follow Me...You Can't Go Where I Go!!!

.....up in the tree!!!

Post #6636 13th Sep 2007 4:09 am
looney_loey

United States 

Steve H wrote:
I've been out and tried the MDA III again and it appears once the pairing is set up it works every time. However I now have another issue. Once the phonebook is copied across because I have home landline, work landline and mobile numbers stored against a lot of my entries the car kit displays multiple entries of the same name. As there is no number shown I have no way of knowing whether I am calling the correct number. I reckon this is down to the way the contacts feature on the PDA interprets the Outlook contact entries. I guess I could download the phonebook to the car then disable auto copy and remove all but the minimum conatct details for each person. Anyone any ideas how to work round this?

as I suggested, use the voice command function mate..it'll make your phone calls a lot easier like
examples:
CALL WIFE CELL
CALL WIFE OFFICE
CALL WIFE OFFICE 2
CALL WIFE PARLOR
so on and so forth...

just remember to record each contact numbers in a quiet environment inside your LR2 or the toilet Whistle Do Not Follow Me...You Can't Go Where I Go!!!

.....up in the tree!!!

Post #6637 13th Sep 2007 4:21 am
looney_loey

United States 

NightFox wrote:
This is driving me mad! Are you really telling me none of you with WM5 or WM6 devices working are having to do this?

as I said I don't even have an idea what that "privacy" thing is Rolling Eyes

couldn't it be connected with your provider though?

can't figure out what so "private" about you mate? OMG! don't tell me your SCARLETT'S brother? cousin? uncle? ex-BF? ex-schoolmate? perhaps her DAD Rolling Eyes Do Not Follow Me...You Can't Go Where I Go!!!

.....up in the tree!!!

Post #6638 13th Sep 2007 4:29 am
wildrover

Scotland 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 Dynamic Auto Indus Silver

Has anyone bought a new phone recently that is fully compatible with the PTI system and if so, which one?
I don't need anything fancy, as long as it works with car.
I spent about an hour this afternoon with carphonewarehouse trying most of the bluetooth phones they have and couldn't get any to pair successfully because they are all new phones with new software.
Then tried local Orange shop and none of the phones they have use the software version listed on the landrover list. Orange assistant said Mercedes and BMW have the same problems trying to get phones that work with their systems.
Not much point in spending the money for an SE if you can't buy a phone to work with the system.
Still waiting for a response from local LR dealer Yawn Out with the old (2007 SE)
In with the new (2012 Dynamic with everything). Now also gone.

Post #6672 13th Sep 2007 5:55 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 8 of 9 <123456789>