Home > Maintenance & Modifications > All in one sat nav and reverse camera
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
spidey

2010 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver
All in one sat nav and reverse camera

Hello everyone

I'm new to the board and have just placed an order for my new FL2 to arrive in 2 weeks Very Happy

I'm interested in fitting a sat nav (after) which also has a reverse camera attached to i.e. engage the reverse gear and the screen shows the rear view.

Has anyone had this fitted in their car or have any idea which one I should get and who can fit one for me please?

Also, what is the max screen size 4.3" or 4.8"?

Apologies if these topics have been done to death before. Rolling Eyes

Thanks for any help. Bow down

Spidey

Post #57796 2nd Feb 2010 12:48 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

replace the radio instead?
http://www.freel2.com/forum/post26919.html#26919 At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #57803 2nd Feb 2010 2:16 pm
spidey

Thanks CG. That is an option. Has anyone done it more recently?

I was hoping to be able to insert the unit into the cubby hole. Has anyone replaced to radio to insert the Kenwood sat nav and put a reverse camera in the cubby hole?

I spoke to someone this am about the kenwood system and installation- it was about £1300 without the reverse camera.

Thanks,
Spidey[/b]

Post #57809 2nd Feb 2010 2:33 pm
J T

England 2012 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Santorini Black

spidey,

Do you mean this kind of thang... Whistle

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic4464.html...68563a89cd

Post #57812 2nd Feb 2010 2:49 pm
Carnoch

Take a look at my installation on sticky in mods. The unit is really easy to fit up a rear view camera.

Post #57813 2nd Feb 2010 2:57 pm
spidey

Yes, JT that sort of things which is able to accommodate the reverse camera in the same screen.

Thanks for the pointer re the sticky Carnoch.I'll have a look. Incidentally, what is the max screen size to fit the cubbyhole?

Post #57814 2nd Feb 2010 3:10 pm
Carnoch

It's not so much the screen size as the surround size of the monitor. The Kenwood 702 fits without hacking at anything. It's a couple of mm off 6' I think. Probably about the maximum you'd manage to fit, it certainly looks factory fit and the hard drive/maps is so much better than LR. I know, I've had a HSE for 3 months and hated the crappy LR thing that they charge excessive amounts for.

I've put one in my disco as well, but had to get the Dremmel out on a car less than a week old. Still, it looks good in that too.

you can fit reversing cameras, DVD's TV up to the box and it's all touch screen. For a basic Satnav set up, your talking 800 plus, unless you see anything on Ebay.

Post #57816 2nd Feb 2010 3:21 pm
spidey

Thanks for replying Carnoch.

"A Kenwood 6.96" LZ702W touch screen monitor fitted up to a Kenwood/Garmin KNA-421 hard disc Sat Nav unit."

did you fit it to the Garmin yourself?

I'm having difficulty finding the Kenwood 6.96" LZ702W on the web. Where might you have got yours from? Does it just slot into the hole or does it need to be secured somehow?

Would it be possible to buy the unit and then take it to installers to get it hard wired. Would I just need to get a rear camera (minus screen) to hook to the sat nav screen at the same time?

Sorry for all the questions....I'm a little nervous installing it myself having NO wiring experience at all.

Thanks again Very Happy

Post #57822 2nd Feb 2010 3:40 pm
Carnoch

Yes, I fitted it myself. It's reasonably easy in honesty. The way I have it at the moment, involved absolutely no screwing, holes or damage or modification to the car and although you can hard wire it, if you did it to the front aux socket. you wouldn't invalidate the warranty.

There is no problem accessing any of the components. I'll have a scan later on as it's nearly school run time.

There is a firm of auto fitters that will do the lot, but they charge 1200 pounds. God, I'd do it for that!

You could fit the camera at any time. It's only a matter of running the leads to the Control Unit under the seat and hey presto, you can switch between satnav and the reversing camera.

As for wiring experience, none needed. Just remember there is a positive and negative and thats about it.

Off the top of my head, I'd think I could get you a screen, control box and hard drive complete with 2010 maps, new for 600 or not far off.

Post #57825 2nd Feb 2010 3:52 pm
Carnoch

Okay, lots of the stuff for sale.

To buy new, try a Google search on the model number and chuck in cheap or sale and work your way thro' the sites. Kelkoo or Pricerunner might be worth a bash.

One good site you'll get the lot off is www.justkenwood.co.uk, but there are others.

LZ-702W is retailing at 270
KNA-G421V is 440
Waterproof Kenwood Reversing Camera CCD 2000 is 128

All free postage.

I see a KNA-G421V going secondhand on Ebay at 200 with no bids. I daresay if you asked the guy if he'd take less for a confirmed sale?

Just an idea.

That should give you a start!

Post #57827 2nd Feb 2010 4:39 pm
spidey

Thanks so much Carnoch.

Pardon my ignorance but how do I hook the Kenwood screen to the KNA-G421V?

Am I right in thinking that I won't need to drill or make any holes in the new car....

Can you direct me to pictures or installation pictures please.

Too bad you're in Inverness...sounds like you're the man for the job.

Post #57835 2nd Feb 2010 5:07 pm
Carnoch

Don't let disance put you off, it wouldn't me if the price was right! Wink Distance up here is nothing, i've done
London and back in a day. Takes me about 9 hours to get down to deepest Fulham. Might be south next month.

Anyway, goto the kenwood electonics site and into support, you can download the schematics for the units.

In essence, the screen has 4 wires and so does the satnav. A red positive, a black negative for power. There is also a yellow aux wire, which can be wired up to the positive, but is essentially to a battery source so the unit can go into standby when not in use and a green handbrake wire. you don't need this, it's just a safety feature. By connecting up the red and yellow to a positive power and the black to earth, the unit will work absolutely fine.

As for connecting things up between the screen and the hard disc unit, it's all tailor made and special plugs that fit in both units that are suppled.

I can take some photos of either one I've got installed in the cars. As the light is going, might not manage today. There is a lot of wire, but then they supply it with such as you'll appreciate. just snip off what you don't need.

There are pics on my Ultimate Satnav? in the mods sticky section. you might want more.

I can confirm absolutely no holes, bending, screws or anything else will adorne your new car or I'd not have done it. In the FL2, I put the control unit under the drivers seat, well out of the way. In the disco, in the central arm rest cubby hole. Of course you can put in anywhere within reason.

Post #57838 2nd Feb 2010 5:23 pm
spidey

Thanks very much for all your help Carnoch.

More photos would be great- I hoping looking at the photos I *might* be able to work out what to do. BUT failing that, we could talk £ to get the job done Smile .

Will wait for the photos...thanks again. You've been a massive help. Very Happy

Post #57840 2nd Feb 2010 5:34 pm
Carnoch

Nae problem, but the light is going this end, so tomorrow might be a better time to do something. That said, I do have to put D4 rear lights and ballast resistors on a D3. That shouldn't take me long and depends on when the parts come.

Anywa, the FL2, the wires all run in channels under the carpet to the screen. The power supply just pops into the aux socket.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And the D3, which I did a slight modification to enable the power supply to come out of the lower centre console facia.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #57846 2nd Feb 2010 6:18 pm
mcphersonstrut

England 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Looking very good Bow down better than factory fitted Thumbs Up

Post #57851 2nd Feb 2010 6:35 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>