Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Battery Issues? Turbo Actuator Issues? Or Both?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Dean1234

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Biscay Blue
Battery Issues? Turbo Actuator Issues? Or Both?

Hi everyone Smile . I think we have had a whole 8 months since our Freelander 2 cried out for some attention which is pretty good for us Laughing . This thread is not so much a call for help, but more a log on what's happening...at the moment Very Happy .

Before we went away for a weekend of offroading, I did a scan for any fault codes on the ECU with my eBay special OBD2 bluetooth plug using the Torque app. Normally it comes back as 0 codes, but this time it had a surprise in store for me. It brought back this little list of codes:

Seeing as the car has had a lot of very short stop/start cycles from taking the car on and off the drive, I put it down to a drained battery and after a decent drive, all will be fine. The app also told me that when they are grey, they are unconfirmed and if after X amount of miles the fault doesn't occur, they will be erased from the ECU.

While we were away offroading, we had a great time. But we did notice the car being very lethargic to start compared to what we are used to. We just put that down to trundling around in first gear for large amounts of time and the car not having a proper run. Maybe also mixed in with a build up of heat because cool air isn't rushing through the engine bay.

We returned home and the next day we used the car for doing the shopping. Before we did, I once again run a scan and this was the result:

I knew immediately that we were a stone's throw away from limp mode cutting in. The car started and run fine until we got to the shop and as we were parking, reduced engine performance is displayed in the MFD. We returned from shopping, started the car to be greeted with an engine management light and the reduced engine performance message. We drove back and everything was fine apart from a slightly more noticeable wastegate sound. Every now and then it would drop into limp mode but soon clear once again.

We pulled into a layby, plugged in my OBD2 adaptor and run a scan for the third time and this was the result:

What was really odd though was Alana stalled the car and when it restarted itself, it barely had enough power to turn the starter motor and only just got running again. Once we returned home, I popped the bonnet and it felt awfully hot under there. The coolant temp was showing 94 degrees C on the drive back if that's normal or not? I also got Alana to turn off the engine and start it again. While it didn't struggle to start, it certainly sounded lethargic to start once again.

From searching on this forum and talking to people, the thought process is the turbo actuator is faulty. Although my gut is telling me it could either be a battery problem as the codes are so varied and they are all sensors, or, it's battery and turbo actuator at the same time!

We have gone down the the actuator route first and have managed to removed the one on the car. I know in a perfect world I should get ours sent off to be recon'ed but we need the car working for this weekend so have brought a replacement. I emailed Turbo Vanes with my reg and VIN and they pointed me to this one which I have ordered: https://www.turbovanes.com/turbo-electroni...-468-p.asp

Apon taking ours off of the car, I have noticed these codes:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Is it the same as the one I have ordered does anyone know? I might be making myself paranoid due to their being lots of turbo actuators that all look the same but have ever so slightly different codes...

We have also got a new battery click and not collected yet incase we do need that too. Lastly we have a new alternator should we need to fit that too, I know the obvious thing would be to run an multimeter around the car. But I'm not going to lie, I don't know my feet from my elbow when it comes to those things Laughing .

So over to you ladies and gentlemen. What are your guesses as to the issue? Battery? Alternator? Turbo actuator? All? Something else?

Oh and lastly. I did move the arm once it was off of the actuator and it seemed a little stiff to start, but after what seemed like some carbon particles moved, it now moves through its entire range very freely. So I've either broken it, or made it better. Laughing

Fault Codes: P2562 P0299 P0102 P0120 P0124 P0570 P063A https://www.youtube.com/@scottandalana4x4

Last edited by Dean1234 on 4th Sep 2024 3:14 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #444470 3rd Sep 2024 8:37 am
Dean1234

Just a quick update on this. Got the "new" turbo actuator through today and got it straight on the car. Cleared the fault codes, started it up and all is well. Taken it for a drive and no more intermittent limp mode or engine management light at the moment. I was hoping to feel a bit more power from freeing up the arm that connects to the actuator but alas not. But that could be down to now having a mismatched actuator to turbo. But I've been told that this can be fixed with one of those posh computers that plugs into the car. Very Happy

As for the lazy starting. All was well to start with but I did notice the start/stop wasn't start stopping. Then after a bit of a drive, pulled over, turned the car off, and low and behold, it struggled to start. So I nipped off to collect the battery that we had ordered and got that onto the car. The starting still doesn't seem back to how it was, but then again, I don't know how charged batteries come when you buy them and if the car realises it even has a new battery on it yet. Although the start/stop is back to doing starting and stopping. Laughing

Still got these greyed out codes:

But while they are not affecting the car we will carry on until they either disappear or become an actual problem. Very Happy
Hopefully we can get someone who knows what they are doing to take a look at our charging system to see if the alternator is firing on all electrons. Very Happy

But the end result is, the car is working once again! Thumbs Up https://www.youtube.com/@scottandalana4x4

Post #444477 3rd Sep 2024 5:18 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

Your Turbo 'Restricted Performance' issue does match my experience of a sticking actuator/turbo vanes.

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic39340.html?highlight=turbo

As for 'Phantom Faults' and absent 'Stop/Start', I would try a good long term Battery Charge and/or if the Battery is much over a couple of years old - get a new one (no matter what any quick Garage Test says. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 77k+ miles) (MY2015)
Metro in its 11th Year of (Extended) LR Warranty / Full LR Service History
(Expensive, but Trouble/Worry free - hopefully?)

Post #444478 3rd Sep 2024 5:56 pm
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Batteries don’t always arrive fully charged and your long run would have to be very long. My Ctek charger puts out over 14v for hours (normally overnight) before it drops down to the maintenance charging level so get it plugged in. If you want to see what is going on with your charging circuit and battery state have a look at the Bluetooth battery monitors that are available. Connect to the +ve and -ve terminals and view what is going on via an app on your phone, though I’m surprised TORQUE doesn’t show the information.

Post #444479 3rd Sep 2024 6:55 pm
Dean1234

IanMetro: I did find your thread and did have a good long read of it which shoved me towards a new actuator even though my gut was telling me otherwise. So thanks for posting that thread. Thumbs Up As my second follow up post says, I have since put a new battery on the car to be on the safe side. Smile

BossBob: We have a bit of a journey ahead of us on Friday and again coming back on Sunday. So hopefully that will go someway to boosting the new batteries capacity. I guess it also comes down to how quickly the BMS on our car "learns" the new capacity of the battery too. Torque does have the following option which I had running during my drive when I had the new battery fitted:

It was reading 14.4v when the engine was running and the picture is after I turned the engine off. I'll have another measure once we have done our drive on Friday. Smile

To everyone: BossBob has recommended to me a Bluetooth battery monitor. Anyone out there have one that they use and would recommend it? I prefer to not buy just any old random one and find out that it drains the battery or has some kind of subscription fee tied to the app that needs to be used. Very Happy Thanks. Thumbs Up https://www.youtube.com/@scottandalana4x4

Post #444492 4th Sep 2024 8:54 am
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

That's a good point that you mention about the BMS having to re-learn the capacity of a new battery.
I believe the registers can be reset, but like most other monitored systems on the FL2, I believe that new values will be continually updated as you drive around.

Although I have no design specs of the FL2, I think that some systems do still report faults for a while after they are cured, and think that the famous 'battery leads off and then shorted' reset may be the answer to these, although I have found that the 'double locking' and walk around the supermarket 'method' has cured intermittent faults in the past.

As far as monitoring the battery goes, I just have a cheap digital readout (with USB outputs) that plugs into my cigar lighter sockets, it give me quick reassurance that the Battery/Alternator are working OK. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 77k+ miles) (MY2015)
Metro in its 11th Year of (Extended) LR Warranty / Full LR Service History
(Expensive, but Trouble/Worry free - hopefully?)

Post #444495 4th Sep 2024 10:04 am
BossBob

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

The devices I fitted to our cars are similar to https://www.amazon.co.uk/ARCELI-Bluetooth-...amp;sr=8-6
You connect the relevant leads to the +ve and -ve battery terminals and install an app on your phone and connect to the device using Bluetooth.
The following image shows a day in June where the CTek was connected up and you can clearly see the charge pattern. The device stores the data and you can go back months if you want to.

Post #444496 4th Sep 2024 10:29 am
Dean1234

IanMetro: It's times like these that I am so happy to own a Freelander 2 and not a posh Mercedes, BMW or the likes that you probably need to go to the garage and pay a fortune for them to replace the battery and then tell the car. Laughing Thanks for your tip about double locking the car. I've done that and will leave it overnight to see if that has any outcome on the phantom errors that I have. Thumbs Up

BossBob: Thanks to the link to that. I shall take a look into it and may purchase one. Smile https://www.youtube.com/@scottandalana4x4

Post #444501 4th Sep 2024 3:19 pm
Boxa

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Barolo Black

it does sound like a battery problem and these cars do like a good battery also have you got the extra earth strap on yours ? is it the original starter motor ? it does seem strange that the Actuator failed at the same time it could probably do with an air path calibration to let the ecu relearn values also have you checked the throttle body for stripped gears sorry to bombard you with so many questions but these are things I would be looking at Very Happy

Post #444506 4th Sep 2024 9:00 pm
Dean1234

Hi Boxa, thanks for your suggestions Thumbs Up . With it being a TD4.e it come factory fitted with the 2nd earth strap which was nice to see and saved me having to do that modification. Very Happy As far as I'm aware it's still on it's original starter motor as we haven't changed it in our ownership. So it's something that is on my mind if a new battery doesn't sort it and if the alternator is actually ok. Although I don't hear of many people saying about changing their starter motor so I'm interested how long starter motors last on these cars on average. Smile

As for the air path calibration, hopefully over the weekend we will be seeing a knowledgeable man with a posh diagnostic computer that will be able to see to that side of things. Lastly the throttle body was changed for a new one in March 2022. So although I don't rule it out, I would think it's unlikely to be the throttle body so soon. Very Happy https://www.youtube.com/@scottandalana4x4

Post #444512 5th Sep 2024 1:49 pm
Boxa

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Barolo Black

no problem mate let us know how it goes after your return Very Happy

Post #444515 5th Sep 2024 4:22 pm
Dean1234

We got back from our weekend at Land Rover Owner International Show at Belvoir Castle Sunday evening and then Alana had the car on Monday so haven't been able to update this thread until today. Mostly good news! Very Happy The hour and half journey up and the car ran fine. No engine management light to be seen and most importantly no limp mode. So I think I've cured our turbo related issue.

Seeing as we were on the Muddy Freelander stand with MuddyMods, Chell was nice enough to plug their posh snap on computer into our car and got the same codes as above:

Click image to enlarge

Warren took a look at them and also said that the random array of faults were a bit odd. He put it down to a potential power glitch. Luckily his snap on computer could erase the codes. While he was there he went into the special functions and calibrated/told the ecu/did something involving the actuator. He finished off telling our Freelander that it had a new battery using his computer.

I've done a scan today using my cheap OBD scanner and this is now the result:

It's a nice sight to see. There is a couple of issues still outstanding though. 1 being that the car seems to be running hot. On the way up to LRO on the Friday, the engine was running between 90 to 100 degrees C. But we are putting that down to maybe mud in the radiator from the mud run at Billing a few weeks back. So Alana and I are going to spend a weekend day taking the front bumper off and cleaning in that general area before the weather gets too cold. Very Happy

The last issue that is outstanding is that the car starts perfectly fine from cold. Even starting it a good few times at the show to adjust the car and it started perfectly each and every time. But as soon as the car gets warm/hot, it then goes back to really sluggish starting behaviour. Maybe it's just the starter motor on it's way out? But even then, logic tells me that the issue should be with cold starts where it requires more effort if that is the case... These cars always like to keep us on our toes. Laughing

Lastly, Warren was nice enough to spend some time demonstrating the Autel AP200 on his phone and it looks like just the ticket for what we need. So once we got back, we got one ordered up and are awaiting delivery. Very Happy https://www.youtube.com/@scottandalana4x4

Post #444616 10th Sep 2024 4:26 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1