Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > 2014 front fog lights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Print this entire topic · 
bazmcc

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

Just to piggy back onto this thread instead of starting a new one, but my 2014 GS with winter pack doesn't have fog lights and doesn't seem to have wiring loom for them either. Assuming as LR reached the end of the line with the car they just fitted what they had available.

Would be easy to install fogs on a separate switch, but just wondered what the thoughts are on fitting them and buying a left stalk with front fog light control. I realise the ECU might need reflashed or whatever to recognise that fog lights are installed, plus wiring would probably be more complicated, but I'm a sucker for that OEM look rather than fixing a separate switch somewhere!

Post #427555 7th Dec 2022 1:13 pm
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

If you read my thread http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic30627-15.html
You'll see how I went about it using a separate switch. New stalk is a possibility but I didn't want the hassle of coding and just made up a simple loom. Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #427556 7th Dec 2022 1:51 pm
bazmcc

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Orkney Grey

Yeah your thread was of great interest. Adding a switch isn’t an absolute deal breaker for me, but just wondered if anyone else had done it the other way and had any idea of difficulty of wiring up to stalk and potentially reflashing the ECU

Post #427557 7th Dec 2022 2:02 pm
Lakelander

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Orkney Grey
Re: 2014 front fog lights

Bobupndown wrote:
Quick query, can genuine front fogs be easily retro fitted to a 2014 GS, loom etc already in place?

Hi
Has anyone tried the replacement led fog lamps from Powerful UK part no FOG293-CRC. I like the look of them as I think they would compliment the led DRLs on the facelift model. I currently have the OE but with Nightbreaker H11s
but would hope the led ones would be brighter? FL2 SD4 XS 2013 Orkney Grey

Post #442885 28th Jun 2024 5:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

Do you have much fog in Cumbria?

We don't in the West Mids. I have used the front fog lights only a handful of times in 9 years. Jules

Post #442892 28th Jun 2024 10:41 pm
Lakelander

I use them as additional driving lights on our narrow unlit country roads. They pick out the edges very well that's why I want them as bright as possible. FL2 SD4 XS 2013 Orkney Grey

Post #442894 28th Jun 2024 11:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bobupndown

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 GS Auto Orkney Grey

Lakelander wrote:
Bobupndown wrote:
Quick query, can genuine front fogs be easily retro fitted to a 2014 GS, loom etc already in place?

Hi
Has anyone tried the replacement led fog lamps from Powerful UK part no FOG293-CRC. I like the look of them as I think they would compliment the led DRLs on the facelift model. I currently have the OE but with Nightbreaker H11s
but would hope the led ones would be brighter?

I haven't but if you decide to fit them please report back your views on them.
I have the standard lights with cheap ebay led bulbs in them and have to say they are not particularly bright, or of much benefit when it's foggy! Landrover - turning owners into mechanics since 1948

2014 Orkney grey Freelander SD4 GS.
2004 Zambezi silver Discovery 2 Td5 (Gone)
1963 Surf blue Morris Mini Minor Super de Luxe (my little toy)

Post #442898 29th Jun 2024 9:39 am
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

Lakelander wrote:
I use them as additional driving lights on our narrow unlit country roads. They pick out the edges very well that's why I want them as bright as possible.

I bought a pair of DRL/LED fogs from Powerful UK. The DRLs are ok, but quite masked by the surrounds on the pre-facelift bumper. The fogs were absolutely pathetic, less than ½ the light output of the standard H11 halogen bulbs, so I took them out again. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate. The replacement for the SE.
2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Almost sold.
2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE. Gone.

Post #442905 29th Jun 2024 11:39 pm
Lakelander

Bobupndown wrote:
Lakelander wrote:
Bobupndown wrote:

Hi
but would hope the led ones would be brighter?

I haven't but if you decide to fit them please report back your views on them.
I have the standard lights with cheap ebay led bulbs in them and have to say they are not particularly bright, or of much benefit when it's foggy!

Have decided not to buy them. No positive reports and a lukewarm response from Powerful themselves, so sticking with OE units and Nightbreaker Laser, at least they offer some additional illumination . Apologies the part number is FOG923-CRC. for the ones I was looking at. They also do a smoked version with a 9 watt LED, anybody know if that is likely to be brighter than a 55watt. Nightbreaket? FL2 SD4 XS 2013 Orkney Grey

Post #442976 2nd Jul 2024 10:50 pm
congoblue

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Loire Blue

I don't know about those particular lights but even with perfect optics, 9W of LED will not be brighter than a 55W halogen bulb. Halogen outputs about 20 lumens per watt, LED about 100 lumens per watt, so 9W of LED would be roughly equivalent to 45W halogen.

If you add to that the optical difficulties of capturing all the light and getting it out of the front of the fixture in a useful direction, there's no way it's going to be brighter than the original halogen lights.

I design LED lighting for my job and getting the output of an LED chip into a useful focused beam is really hard.

Post #442986 3rd Jul 2024 9:30 am
Lakelander

Thanks for the reply. You confirmed what I suspected. The relative low price of these items also suggests modest performance at best. I think they are more about styling than improved output. FL2 SD4 XS 2013 Orkney Grey

Post #442987 3rd Jul 2024 9:51 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234