Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > EV's
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 50 of 52 <123 ... 49 505152>
Print this entire topic · 
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

Yes, but we've not got an EV to reduce my carbon footprint, but reducing it is a bonus. However the car won't be scrapped after our lease finishes, so the vehicle will become carbon neutral in the future.
The EV choice was a financial and performance based decision, and not a green option, but if it reduces our carbon footprint a bit, then that's a bonus.
We were looking to get another Mazda, possibly a CX60, so choosing an EV is definitely better for the planet, compared to what we could have chosen. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate. The family car.
2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Gone.
2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE. Gone.
Audi A5 convertible, my daily driver.
1972 Hillman Avenger GT, the project.

Post #442537 13th Jun 2024 10:42 am
Nodge68

Here's a nice little advantage to our particular EV.
This morning I needed to vacuum the carpets, so I could install the newly arrived floor mats. I use the house vacuum (it's got a lift off vacuum part), and I plugged it into the 240V outlet in the vehicle, so no more messing with extension leads to vacuum the car, very handy feature that one. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate. The family car.

Post #442595 15th Jun 2024 4:49 pm
IanMetro

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Fuji White

I will expect coffee and toast if I see you on the way to work.
Will you be shaving on the way in, or do you need a longer extension lead?

Please keep the updates going, they may tempt us yet.

(You mention the Mazda CX60 above, have you tried one out. I say this because I looked at a PHEV version when they were first out. Very nice inside and well appointed, but I got put off by the reviews that slammed the 'wooden' ride) FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)
FL2 Metropolis SD4 Auto 2014 2017- (16k - 77k+ miles) (MY2015)
Metro in its 11th Year of (Extended) LR Warranty / Full LR Service History
(Expensive, but Trouble/Worry free - hopefully?)

Post #442601 15th Jun 2024 7:14 pm
Nodge68

Lol. There's no need for extension leads with the Ioniq 5, as it has on-board mains 230V at 16 Amps, so could supply enough power to charge another EV if needed.
Obviously doing so would discharge the battery, but it's handy for powering things on a camp site for instance, like a normal electric kettle, or a toaster, or even an electric hob.

We were looking at the CX60, as we'd previously had a CX5 for 3 years.
We eventually went for the I-5 as the lease was less (weird I know), the running costs are much lower, the performance quite a lot better, and the fringe benefits like on-board mains power make it more useful as a vehicle. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate. The family car.

Post #442620 17th Jun 2024 9:15 am
pinhead

I am glad you are enjoying your ionic 5 Nodge68

As many know I have been a long time EV driver and I won't be going away from electric motoring any time soon
Some changes have happened on my driveway recently with a new model 3 long range to replace the old model S
The freelander is still here and I cannot see that going anywhere as it just works for what we use it for and it doesn't do many miles so should last a good while yet
I sold my camaro and replaced that with a C7

The model 3 has really impressed me I was expecting a downgrade from the S in so many ways but the reality is the only downgrade is space
It's faster,quieter,smoother and more efficient
It really has impressed me the new 3 is so much better than the first model 3
Efficiency is mind blowing its covered just shy of 7000 miles already it came in February average consumption over that time is just 237wh/Mile that's over 4 miles/kwh on a decent drive it goes to over 5 miles/kwh
With the extra efficiency (and slightly less miles as the wife has a different role at the moment) and now we have had some sun my supplier is paying me for the last 2 months
I only have a small solar setup but the export payments are now more than the import payments I have a decent size home battery too so charge that on cheap overnight rate when the car charges and even when the sun doesn't shine I don't need any peak rate electricity

As the main car to soak up the miles an EV just makes so much sense
Oh and the long range with over 400 miles of quoted range realistically it will do 350 maybe 400 if you were very careful
this increased range means it's never been charged away from home yet but when we do need to on the high power chargers it's 250kw capable and can add about 200 Miles in 20 mins to a flat battery
It has more range on a full battery than the C7 has on a full tank and although the freelander would go further on a tank it's not that much further

Post #442648 18th Jun 2024 9:33 pm
IanMetro

I have been reading back through this thread looking for someone who is running a non hybrid, full EV as their one and only car.
I realise that this may not hit home by definition with present FL2 forum members, but it would be nice to hear how well they dealt with the Battery EV Car in general everyday life.

I wonder if most EV owners have an ICE/Hybrid as a backup? FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)

Post #442664 19th Jun 2024 2:05 pm
pinhead

Although we have multiple cars non are used as back up
The main car that does the majority of the miles is the Ev covering 20k a year
The fl2 is a second car my daily an EV could replace this easily but only covering 3k miles a year with my commute being just 2 miles each way it also does caravan towing as the van is too heavy for the model 3 a model Y or X could handle it but no point paying more for one of those for the few trips we do a year with the van

The corvette is a toy and simply comes out on nice weekend days it never gets used to go anywhere except just for a drive out for the sake of it
Any long drives without the caravan the tesla is first choice
Just once in 5 years have we been left having to use a different car due to low soc and an emergency cropped up and no fast charging on route
This would not have happened with the long range 3 due to its significantly longer range

Post #442666 19th Jun 2024 3:30 pm
Nodge68

We have to have 2 cars, as we both work in different places, and at times that don't allow car sharing.

However 4 weeks into Ioniq 5 drivership and we can already say that the I-5 could be the only car we need.

I can't see a reason why we'd need an ICE vehicle instead of this particular EV, if we were a 1 car family.
The range on a single charge gives more miles than we do in a week, but even if it had half the range, it still wouldn't be a huge issue, as it's charged at home when parked up.

I had to put diesel in the Audi for the first time in 4 weeks yesterday. It seemed strange to have to visit somewhere else for fuel, and it was an expensive experience too, costing me almost £90.
Today the wife use the Audi for the first time in 4 weeks, stating that she much prefers the EV, as the Audi feels so slow and unresponsive to drive. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate. The family car.

Post #442670 19th Jun 2024 5:47 pm
Arctic

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Orkney Grey

Quote:
pinhead wrote:
I am glad you are enjoying your ionic 5 Nodge68

As many know I have been a long time EV driver and I won't be going away from electric motoring any time soon
Some changes have happened on my driveway recently with a new model 3 long range to replace the old model S
The freelander is still here and I cannot see that going anywhere as it just works for what we use it for and it doesn't do many miles so should last a good while yet
I sold my camaro and replaced that with a C7

The model 3 has really impressed me I was expecting a downgrade from the S in so many ways but the reality is the only downgrade is space
It's faster,quieter,smoother and more efficient
It really has impressed me the new 3 is so much better than the first model 3
Efficiency is mind blowing its covered just shy of 7000 miles already it came in February average consumption over that time is just 237wh/Mile that's over 4 miles/kwh on a decent drive it goes to over 5 miles/kwh
With the extra efficiency (and slightly less miles as the wife has a different role at the moment) and now we have had some sun my supplier is paying me for the last 2 months
I only have a small solar setup but the export payments are now more than the import payments I have a decent size home battery too so charge that on cheap overnight rate when the car charges and even when the sun doesn't shine I don't need any peak rate electricity

As the main car to soak up the miles an EV just makes so much sense
Oh and the long range with over 400 miles of quoted range realistically it will do 350 maybe 400 if you were very careful
this increased range means it's never been charged away from home yet but when we do need to on the high power chargers it's 250kw capable and can add about 200 Miles in 20 mins to a flat battery
It has more range on a full battery than the C7 has on a full tank and although the freelander would go further on a tank it's not that much further

I'm presuming you like white cars Smile

Post #442794 25th Jun 2024 11:53 am
pinhead

To be fair it just happened like this the tesla would have been grey metallic but the additional cost was crazy so we stuck with the free colour

Post #442848 26th Jun 2024 9:52 pm
chicken george

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

we run an Ipace and a ford ranger as a second car /farm pickup.

The initial thinking was the ranger would be used for the occasional long distance trips, to save charging away from home. in practice its easy to public charge on those rare times, worth it to travel in ipace rather than pickup

ipace just had 42k service £300,mainly brake fluid pollen filter and wiper blades, 21k service was cheaper At work
At home

"I can't always believe facts I read on the web" - Charles Dickens

winner by default of the tractor vs caravan race

Post #442870 27th Jun 2024 1:10 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

pinhead wrote:
To be fair it just happened like this the tesla would have been grey metallic but the additional cost was crazy so we stuck with the free colour

Down under, doesn't matter which manufacture it is, if it is not white, extortion comes to mind.

But, due to the heat, people who buy colours deserve to be hung, drawn & quartered.

White is a winner from every perspective, at least until the manufactures cotton on! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #442871 27th Jun 2024 2:27 pm
pinhead

chicken george wrote:

The initial thinking was the ranger would be used for the occasional long distance trips, to save charging away from home. in practice its easy to public charge on those rare times, worth it to travel in ipace rather than pickup

ipace just had 42k service £300,mainly brake fluid pollen filter and wiper blades, 21k service was cheaper

I agree it's really easy to charge the odd time you need to with the model S that was about 20 times a year on the odd time we exceeded range
The model 3 so far has not been charged away from home as it just has so much range it's been unnecessary
It has just shirt of 400 miles on a full charge tge freelander due to its short trips and towing when it goes further never shows that kind of range when I fill it up the corvette on a full tank said just 250 miles for the last £100 I put in although this did improve as I drove on a sensible motorway trip

Post #442881 28th Jun 2024 7:55 am
IanMetro

chicken george wrote:

ipace just had 42k service £300,mainly brake fluid pollen filter and wiper blades, 21k service was cheaper

Chicken George nice to hear you back.
Is the I-Pace easy to live with?
How does it compare with later (current) EVs?
Would an I-Pace make a good second hand buy in todays market, say, against buying a newer EV? FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)

Post #442884 28th Jun 2024 9:57 am
IanMetro

Ford Explorer EV

I had taken an interest in the new Ford Explorer EV as it seemed to be about the size of a FL2, and more importantly it may have been sold, and serviced, by my local Ford Dealer. (Just a mile or so from where I live)

I put a query on the Dealers site to ask when they would have an Explorer EV in for show.

This morning I got a call to say that the local Ford Dealer will not be involved with the Explorer EV and it will be exclusively sold and serviced by Trust Ford, which are Retail Outlets owned by Ford Motor Company.

Its a pity as it would put me in no better position than having to deal with JLR Dealer who is some 15 miles away.

If anyone is interested in the Ford it is available at a very good interest free, zero deposit, payment plan, and could have a decent driving position.

However, it does lead me wonder how easy it is to obtain 'trained' servicing for EVs. FL2 XS SD4 Auto 2010 2012-2017 (21k - 91k miles) (MY2011)

Post #442990 3rd Jul 2024 10:18 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 50 of 52 <123 ... 49 505152>