Forum-Gallery-Shop-Sponsors

« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > General > Do all FL2s have start/stop?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black
Do all FL2s have start/stop?

Random one - my old TD4 manual (2010) had start/stop. My 2014 SD4 auto SE doesn’t seem to have a start/stop button nor does the engine ever stop as would be expected if start/stop was there.

Is that an auto box thing? Seems odd a newer vehicle wouldn’t have it. FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because I’m mental
Now greatly regret selling the Outlander. MPG of the FL2 is atrocious and so are the fuel bills. Fun though 😎

Post #442554 14th Jun 2024 7:04 am
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

My petrol auto doesn't have it. Probably the actual vehicle which should have it. But I don't see the point of it when most vehicles in the city are stopping & starting like a yo-yo. If in the country, what's the point either. Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Last edited by Lightwater on 14th Jun 2024 7:57 am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #442557 14th Jun 2024 7:53 am
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Santorini Black

Interesting. I was never a fan of it, but wondered if it was meant to be there and it was a battery issue (shouldn’t be as the battery is new) - I had that in the old car.

Had assumed every manufacturer put it in to drop the theoretical emissions. FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - tailgate paint issues, fuel gauge rewire, transfer box failure at 36k miles, clutch at 60k
Reconditioned diff at 70k ish
Sold at 84k and now on a DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because I’m mental
Now greatly regret selling the Outlander. MPG of the FL2 is atrocious and so are the fuel bills. Fun though 😎

Post #442558 14th Jun 2024 7:55 am
little jimmy

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

2009 HSE TD4. No stop starting mine. My sisters 2021 Kia Picanto GT has Stop/start. There is however a very visible switch to turn it off. I expect you get used to it, but I find it weird.

Post #442559 14th Jun 2024 8:09 am
janderson41

Scotland 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

As far as I know Autos do not have stop start.
There must be a good reason for this and someone more qualified than me probably has the answer.
The few times I have hired a car with stop start I switched it off. Jim A
Fl2 HSE 2010 auto
Disco 2Td5 auto 2002 gone
Disci 1 300Tdi auto 1996 gone

Post #442560 14th Jun 2024 8:17 am
Nodge68

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Rimini Red

Automatics don't have stop/start as an auto could suddenly start moving if the driver forgot the box was in a gear, and the engine restarted without warning.
So only manual boxed Freelander's had the feature, and only when the box was in neutral, and the clutch was up. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate. The replacement for the SE.
2009 Rimini Red SE TD4. Almost sold.
2006 Tonga Green i6 HSE. Gone.

Post #442561 14th Jun 2024 8:44 am
jules

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 SE Auto Firenze Red

And all SD4s are automatics. Jules

Post #442563 14th Jun 2024 10:13 am
Dean1234

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e XS Manual Biscay Blue

From what I can gather Freelander 2's from launch to 2009 didn't have start/stop on them apart from the odd 2009 car here and there. 2010 cars onwards then did have start/stop apart from SD4's.

Does it make me odd that I really like the start/stop on our car!? Laughing It's really nice when you get to a set of lights that have just gone red to knock it out of gear, handbrake on and then relax in almost silence. Plus it's super helpful when going through drive thrus when giving your order. Laughing https://www.youtube.com/@scottandalana4x4

Post #442567 14th Jun 2024 1:05 pm
RogB

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Nodge68 wrote:
Automatics don't have stop/start as an auto could suddenly start moving if the driver forgot the box was in a gear, and the engine restarted without warning.
So only manual boxed Freelander's had the feature, and only when the box was in neutral, and the clutch was up.

more modern autos have stop/start

I believe it was because the Aisin 6 speed auto box could not be configured to accommodate stop/start due to it being an early 2000's designed set up, not sure if that was because of electronic issue or mechanical though.

The early 2.2 Evoque which were basically just a FL2 in a pretty frock did have stop/start but I think the gearbox was from a different manufacturer although I could be wrong

Happy to be corrected by more mechanically minded bods on the forum though.

Post #442568 14th Jun 2024 1:09 pm
Lightwater

Ukraine 2013 Freelander 2 2.0T SE Auto Fuji White

Dean1234 wrote:
Does it make me odd that I really like the start/stop on our car!? Laughing It's really nice when you get to a set of lights that have just gone red to knock it out of gear, handbrake on and then relax in almost silence.

You could stuff the car full of acoustic insulation & have a quiet car when the engine is running. Standing at lights is a piece of cake.
https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic33026.html
Still to today I am still surprised how quiet the car is when on the move, extremely noticeable when I or other half opens a window. Closed very quickly for piece & quite. Can barely hear the mirrors fold.

Even outback corrugated roads are bearable after 4 or so hours! Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

Acoustic insulation ARB TPMS 3xARB air compressors After cooler Air tank On-board OCD pressure air/water cleaning Additional 50L fuel Carpet in doors ABE 2x1kg Waeco 28L modified fridge Battery 4x26ah Solar 120w Victron MPPT 100/20 DC-DC 18amps 175amp jumper plug Awning 6x255/60R18

Post #442570 14th Jun 2024 2:42 pm
Nodge68

Dean1234 wrote:
It's really nice when you get to a set of lights that have just gone red to knock it out of gear, handbrake on and then relax in almost silence. Plus it's super helpful when going through drive thrus when giving your order. Laughing

I've noticed the latter, since replacing the Freelander with an EV. Suddenly I can hear what the person taking the order is saying, and I suspect they can hear me better too, without a diesel thumping away in the background. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate. The replacement for the SE.

Post #442572 14th Jun 2024 7:06 pm
Nodge68

RogB wrote:
Nodge68 wrote:
So only manual boxed Freelander's had the feature, and only when the box was in neutral, and the clutch was up.

more modern autos have stop/start

I believe it was because the Aisin 6 speed auto box could not be configured to accommodate stop/start due to it being an early 2000's designed set up, not sure if that was because of electronic issue or mechanical though.

The early 2.2 Evoque which were basically just a FL2 in a pretty frock did have stop/start but I think the gearbox was from a different manufacturer although I could be wrong

Happy to be corrected by more mechanically minded bods on the forum though.

Yes they do. I was referring to the Freelander auto, which doesn't allow for stop/start. However the Aisin does drop to neutral at idle, to help reduce fuel consumption. Hyundai Ioniq 5 Ultimate. The replacement for the SE.

Post #442573 14th Jun 2024 7:09 pm
MartynB

United Kingdom 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Zermatt Silver

Nodge68 wrote:
Dean1234 wrote:
It's really nice when you get to a set of lights that have just gone red to knock it out of gear, handbrake on and then relax in almost silence. Plus it's super helpful when going through drive thrus when giving your order. Laughing

I've noticed the latter, since replacing the Freelander with an EV. Suddenly I can hear what the person taking the order is saying, and I suspect they can hear me better too, without a diesel thumping away in the background.

Stop start is selective on my Hilux auto , cruise up to a red, feathering the brake and the engine keeps running , if you want to stop the engine press the pedal harder ( a message appears on the driver info screen ) , it then starts when you release the brake . On the 2025 model , a 48 v motor is going to replace the start , move the truck from the lights , with the engine taking over after road speed picks up . . Modern diesels are very quiet and I rarely engage the stop function , I’m of the opinion they’re only there to meet targets not offer any real benefit to engine longevity. , 2009 GS Auto Zermatt Silver - Sold June 21 after 10 years of ownership

2016 Subaru Outback SE 2.0 diesel SE Premium Lineartronic Sold 2024 after 8 years and 80k miles . Best Car I ever owned !

2023 Toyota Hilux invincible X 2.8 Auto .

Post #442586 15th Jun 2024 9:23 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1