Home > Technical > Headlight wiring burnt out, cambelt query
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
aliclare89

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver
Headlight wiring burnt out, cambelt query

Hi all,

Please forgive the questions - new member at a loss with LR dealership.

My 2013 freelander2 2.2 SD4 HSE is still under warranty from my local LR dealership.

Today my headlamp o/s stopped working on the dipped and main beam, but the sidelight is still functioning. The dealership found a corroded plug (gave me the attached photo) and advised the only way it was fixable was to replace the entire unit at £700. I have since ordered a spares unit for £240 but then found what I think is the correct bulb holder wire on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282444438217 does this look right to anyone? Obviously will be getting an auto electrician to check as my Dad used to do all this sort of thing for me but just wanted to make sure I’m ordering the right part!

My second query is regarding cambelt changes. I’ve been told by the dealership it must have a cambelt change this year at a cost of £793. The car is 7.5 years old and on 79k miles. From what I’ve read online it is 112k or 9 years but not sure if the source is reliable.

If anyone can help your input would be much appreciated! Thank you

Post #399774 11th Nov 2020 10:07 pm
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

84 month 112k miles service schedule / 11th item under Service Items...

Cam belt change is part of the year seven service. Seven years is correct.

My car goes in for cam belt inc new water pump plus MoT test for £290. If I then have the A service done by an LR dealer (for a complete online service history) it will still only cost c. £500 all in.

My two nearest LR dealers both quoted £719 for the year seven service which includes cam belt and a basic A service but excludes water pump and MoT.

If you car has a current dealer warranty, shouldn’t wiring loom failure be covered?

Post #399778 11th Nov 2020 11:00 pm
aliclare89

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Zermatt Silver

Thanks for this.

They say loom failure is not covered - I’m going to ring the warranty company tomorrow to triple check as I wouldn’t say it’s wear and tear!

Post #399779 11th Nov 2020 11:08 pm
Wonderdust

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

ReggiePerrin that's a great price, what's the name of the garage you use?

Post #399783 12th Nov 2020 4:47 am
congoblue

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Loire Blue

That failure of the lamp holder looks very familiar, if the connection is a bit loose on the bulb you get arcing which quickly builds up heat and melts the holder. One of mine has been replaced because of this.

It's a very easy fix if you end up having to do it yourself and the HB3 lamp holders are widely available, your ebay link is the right thing. I'd also replace the bulb as the terminals will now be corroded and it might do the same thing again.

Post #399786 12th Nov 2020 9:02 am
3landertwo

this is a problem that has been discussed before on this thread ...

https://www.freel2.com/forum/topic30484.ht...lamp+burnt

it is a simple matter of changing the bulb holder from plastic to the more robust ceramic version.

Post #399792 12th Nov 2020 11:09 am
Jack frost

United Kingdom 
Re: Headlight wiring burnt out, cambelt query

aliclare89 wrote:
Hi all,

Please forgive the questions - new member at a loss with LR dealership.

My 2013 freelander2 2.2 SD4 HSE is still under warranty from my local LR dealership.

Today my headlamp o/s stopped working on the dipped and main beam, but the sidelight is still functioning. The dealership found a corroded plug (gave me the attached photo) and advised the only way it was fixable was to replace the entire unit at £700. I have since ordered a spares unit for £240 but then found what I think is the correct bulb holder wire on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282444438217 does this look right to anyone? Obviously will be getting an auto electrician to check as my Dad used to do all this sort of thing for me but just wanted to make sure I’m ordering the right part!

My second query is regarding cambelt changes. I’ve been told by the dealership it must have a cambelt change this year at a cost of £793. The car is 7.5 years old and on 79k miles. From what I’ve read online it is 112k or 9 years but not sure if the source is reliable.

If anyone can help your input would be much appreciated! Thank you

Can you name the dealer as we can all stay well clear of them.

Post #399804 12th Nov 2020 3:28 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

ReggiePerrin wrote:

My car goes in for cam belt inc new water pump plus MoT test for £290.

That seems worryingly cheap to me. Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #399812 12th Nov 2020 6:17 pm
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

Steve D wrote:
That seems worryingly cheap to me.

£40 for the MOT,
    £100 for the Gates kit inc w/pump (His words, it’ll be about £100 but I can provide my own if I want. If I provide my own parts though, he’ll not be able to provide any warranty on them).
    £150 for labour.

This is a very busy little two bay local garage - two brothers, an apprentice and a receptionist. They look after my wife’s car, my daughter’s car, her partner’s car and our MoTs. Unlike a Sheffield LR main dealer, he has never failed an MoT test to gain unnecessary work from us (brake discs that they claimed ‘look too thin but worry not, we can fit new discs and pads and give you a pass for loadsa money’ you may recall). None of us have had cause any for complaint and I trust him based on previous performance.

I can currently get the Gates kit for about £100 inc delivery & VAT so he is not too far off the mark on that. He’ll earn at least the VAT part of it for himself, perhaps a little more

We will see.

Post #399814 12th Nov 2020 7:08 pm
Steve D

United Kingdom 

Fair enough. I'm in the trade myself and when I did mine on my Evoque, I’d have gladly paid £150 for someone else to do it but then again, I’m lazy by nature! Laughing https://www.evoqueownersclub.co.uk/threads...ost-255033 Past: FL2 TD4 HSE Auto
Evoque SD4 Dynamic Lux Auto
Present: Audi A3 S Line.

Post #399817 12th Nov 2020 7:55 pm
Chuckalicious

United Kingdom 

That does seem super cheap to me. I paid nowhere near that when I had mine done. There's a bit of labour involved in there too. FL2 TD4 GS 60 reg Facelift - so many issues
2019 DS. Terribly unreliable.
Sold DS for a 2021 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Fingers crossed....
Sold Outlander for a 2014 SD4 SE Tech because I’m mental
Now greatly regret selling the Outlander. MPG of the FL2 is atrocious and so are the fuel bills. Fun though 😎
Couldn’t afford the fuel bills so back to an older Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Significantly better than I remembered it to be…

Post #399826 12th Nov 2020 9:20 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1