Home > General > Considering a Freelander 2
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
shorn

United Kingdom 
Considering a Freelander 2

Hi all,

I'm currently in the market for a new (to me) car. I've always been keen on an SUV type, mainly due to the riding position, and the extra space over a hatchback.

I took a 56 X3 out for a test drive a couple of days ago. Wasn't blown away by it.

I took a Freelander 2 out this morning and really enjoyed it. Felt way smoother compared to the X3, and overall felt like a nice place to be.

So it's certainly on my radar, but i have no experience with them whatsoever, so though it might be worth asking for peoples opinions/thoughts here. I appreciate that the bias will probably sway towards one, being a forum dedicated to them, but i'd rather hear form people that own them.

So I wil have a budget of around 10k. I'm not entirely sure what I should be expecting for that, mileage wise etc. Is there anything to look out for/avoid?

I'm hoping I should be able to get something in very good condition. The one I took out this morning was about 8k, had a shade under 100k on it, and although OK, the overall condition was fairly worn. It also had the cream coloured interior, so I doubt that helped.

I'll be using the car, in the main, for a relatively small daily commute, about 35miles round trip. Mostly motorway, but at that time of the day, it's relatively slow moving motorway. Other than that, the wife and 2 kids/2 dogs will hopefully benefit from the additional space over our current hatchback.

I believe tax will be around the £260-£290 mark depending on model. That's ok. Mileage wise, I'd be interested to know peoples thoughts on running costs.

Love to have some input. Cheers!

Post #291945 28th Feb 2016 1:39 pm
le bouch

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4_e GS Manual Santorini Black

Some random thoughts...

I guess you'll pick up a 2009-ish one for £10k?

I have a GS tD4e (the e has stop start) and that does about 31mpg - mostly town driving. Tax is ~£275.

A lot of people like the HSE spec (leather, sat nav, sunroofs) but the downside is the fitted factory sat nav, which is crap.

The GS spec is quite common and a good middle ground. The XS is half leather and has sat nav ( I think).

Standard wheels are 17" alloy. Some have 18, 19 or even 20" - look great but beware of hard ride and mega tyre prices.

Re taking the dog out - I have a 12 year old lab and the high boot floor of the Freelander is just too much for him. Just a thought.

Post #291947 28th Feb 2016 1:50 pm
shorn

United Kingdom 

Thanks le bouch.

The one I test drove was a 57 GS td4e as well.Probably worth mentioning that it was only up for 8 so a fair bit under my budget. I'm certainly not fussed about the sat nav, as I tend to use Google Maps on my iPhone and have grown quite accustomed to it! Smile I've seen the standard 17" wheel, but much prefer the look of the 18" ones I've seen.

To be honest, I hadn't thought about that with the dogs. My labs are 9 & 8 this year. If I wanted to keep hold of this car for a few years then that might be an issue down the line. Thanks for pointing it out Thumbs Up

Post #291948 28th Feb 2016 1:59 pm
le bouch

I know it's daft but they become such a part of your family that it can be a deal-breaker, can't it?

My lab never had the dreaded joint problems until this year and sadly has deteriorated badly. He can't jump up into the boot and jumping down from it puts too much stress on his front joints. He won't use a ramp so I have to lift him in and out Laughing

Wheels-wise, quite a few here have got 18" Evoque wheels from eBay and similar. Lots of those seem to turn up, from about £450-£800 depending on the state of the tyres.

Last edited by le bouch on 28th Feb 2016 2:07 pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #291949 28th Feb 2016 2:05 pm
shorn

United Kingdom 

They are indeed. Everything we do would have to be with the dogs in consideration. Also don't like to think of them getting old Sad

Post #291950 28th Feb 2016 2:06 pm
Labradorslave

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Stornoway Grey

My old Lab also has joint and hip problems! I actually sold a FL2 and bought the lowest estate I could find (BMW). He couldn't get in that either! So I sold it and bought another FL2 Very Happy I actually find it easier to load him into the FL2 as I can keep my back straight. With the BMW I was stooped over holding 35kg of wriggling Lab-definitely not good for the back.

Post #291953 28th Feb 2016 2:23 pm
le bouch

That's interesting. I've always felt a bit guilty loading him into the Freelander and wondered whether I should get an estate! It's not so bad getting him in - he puts his front paws on the slam panel (with help), I then get underneath his rear end and lift him up in. Getting him out I literally have to carry him - 44.3 kg Big Cry

He's always been a big fella - never had tidbits, always followed a good diet. Sadly he can only get around short distances now so has developed the dreaded lab pot belly. He's happy enough for now. Dreading the next year or so though..

Edit. Apologies to the OP - I've completely hijacked this thread.

Post #291957 28th Feb 2016 2:39 pm
yahoo2u2

United Kingdom 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Sumatra Black

These are great had one with my old Rottie, she loved going out, but her legs were not upto it. Fold up as well, so little psace used.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solvit-Deluxe-Te...SwHnFVwICZ

Post #291974 28th Feb 2016 5:02 pm
le bouch

I had a very similar one but my lab just wouldn't use it. I guess as the boot was so high it made the ramp very steep.

Post #291977 28th Feb 2016 5:07 pm
yahoo2u2

As for the OP, this is my first freelander 2 and it does have its niggles. The windows not working properly and now the washers, but these things happen in all cars. the boot space is not a big as you would imagine.

A baby buggy, a scooter and skateboard and thats about it. You can tell I take the grandkids out Smile

I do like the feel and height does give an advantage.

Fitted Tomtom satnav, rear DVDs and the kids love it.

If fuel is a concern, then these are not the best, but I dont care anymore.

Some of the newer ones tho, are the bees knees with a fridge, front entertainment systems etc, but they do cost.

Post #291978 28th Feb 2016 5:09 pm
yahoo2u2

le bouch wrote:
I had a very similar one but my lab just wouldn't use it. I guess as the boot was so high it made the ramp very steep.

Pop a little pully sort of setup on the rear so you can pop a lead onto it and pull the lead and the dog will follow. MAYBE Wink

Post #291980 28th Feb 2016 5:11 pm
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

My tax is £180, glad i havent got an early model if its £100 more for the same car. Shocked

Post #291981 28th Feb 2016 5:15 pm
ReggiePerrin

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Firenze Red

Never found the sat nav as bad as people say it is. Neither in my previous MY10 nor in my current MY13. The boot is small and high but cabin space is good.

Nice to drive (auto - never tried a manual), good tow car.

Downsides are perhaps high road tax, particularly for pre DPF cars, fuel consumption and servicing costs.

Would I have another? Yes I would although that might not happen now given its discontinuation.

Post #291985 28th Feb 2016 5:46 pm
BRD

England 

shorn wrote:

The one I test drove was a 57 GS td4e as wells:

I'm fairly sure that the e didn't arrive until 59 plate.

Post #291989 28th Feb 2016 6:34 pm
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

first e was 09 plate.

Iain

Post #291990 28th Feb 2016 6:49 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>