« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > My Freelander 2 > Women!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
heyho

England 2009 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Manual Zermatt Silver
Women!!!

So I'm driving into work today with Mrs H and the subject of my failing rear diff comes up. So I say 'it's going to cost around £500 - £600 to fix, I go on a web site of FL2 owners and LR are known to have helped people with the cost of repair in the past'.

Silence. And then 'why don't you buy yourself a new one instead of paying £500. Could you get one for £4-5k if you part exchange yours.

Well mine is a 59 plate SE with loads of factory fitted extras which makes the spec more like a HSE (well that is what the bloke in the garage said when he sold me it 2 years ago). Ok so its done 90k but it is in decent condition (rear diff aside). Once upon a time I would have jumped at the chance of changing my car. But now I thinking 'why the hell would I want to change it'.

LOL

Post #279516 27th Oct 2015 10:09 am
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

Go buy a £35000 DS it will save you £500. I like her reasoning.
Same as my mrs she proudly proclaimed she had just got 10 quid off her hair do, i said if she hant have gone she would have saved 50 quid, try it, it doesnt seem to go down so well that way around Rolling with laughter

Post #279518 27th Oct 2015 10:22 am
Metropolis

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 SD4 Metropolis LE Auto Loire Blue
Re: Women!!!

heyho wrote:
So I'm driving into work today with Mrs H and the subject of my failing rear diff comes up.

I've had that conversation too. It was suggested I visit the Doctor to see if there's anything he can do, but apparently it's just my age. Mr. Green

Post #279519 27th Oct 2015 10:25 am
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

Or look at it this way, she has given you the green light to go ahead and spend some money. Such opportunities are quite rare in my experience.

I bought some electronic equipment once and when I had settled up the guy in the shop said "do you want some different price stickers on the box?". I said "why?" , "Oh because a lot of blokes who come in here don't want their wives to think they have spent so much money". Shocked 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto
5 x FL2 4 manual + 1 auto
Now Discovery Sport P250 MHEV SE

Post #279521 27th Oct 2015 10:38 am
freelander2002

England 2010 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Auto Santorini Black

Quote:
I bought some electronic equipment once and when I had settled up the guy in the shop said "do you want some different price stickers on the box?". I said "why?" , "Oh because a lot of blokes who come in here don't want their wives to think they have spent so much money". Shocked

Bow down Thumbs Up 2010 HSE SD4 in Santorini black
(Privacy glass, leather/heated seats, ICE, Verde AS M+S)

2002 Freelander GS TD4
(sold 2011)

Post #279525 27th Oct 2015 11:00 am
heyho

Re: Women!!!

Metropolis wrote:
heyho wrote:
So I'm driving into work today with Mrs H and the subject of my failing rear diff comes up.

I've had that conversation too. It was suggested I visit the Doctor to see if there's anything he can do, but apparently it's just my age. Mr. Green

My rear diff is fine its her drive shaft that is knackered

Post #279528 27th Oct 2015 11:05 am
heyho

dorsetfreelander wrote:
Or look at it this way, she has given you the green light to go ahead and spend some money. Such opportunities are quite rare in my experience.

I bought some electronic equipment once and when I had settled up the guy in the shop said "do you want some different price stickers on the box?". I said "why?" , "Oh because a lot of blokes who come in here don't want their wives to think they have spent so much money". Shocked

You've got me worried now thinking about it. Green light for new car and only last week she said she didn't mind me buying a set of £1000 speakers for my beloved 5.1 system.

Wonder what my life insurance is like - she has been using a lot of chilli in her food recently!

Post #279530 27th Oct 2015 11:08 am
npinks

United Kingdom 

factory fitted extras won't get you any more cash than a standard car when it comes to trading in, makes the garage selling it on easier though Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #279533 27th Oct 2015 11:12 am
dorsetfreelander

Talking of life insurance I had a letter from Royal London the other day about a life policy that I had forgotten about. My father took it out when I was born in 1948 as a 1 penny/week in order to bury me (!). I called them up and it's now worth £15. Evidently they have loads of policies like this from that era. Now they are going to send me a cancellation quote, so how much is that nice 15 reg FL2 at the dealers again? 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #279534 27th Oct 2015 11:16 am
dorsetfreelander

npinks wrote:
factory fitted extras won't get you any more cash than a standard car when it comes to trading in, makes the garage selling it on easier though

Agreed, my wife took her car in to a garage last year and the sales guy just walked around it and asked for the mileage and if it had an MOT, he didn't even open the door to check. 3 x FL1 2 manual + 1 auto

Post #279535 27th Oct 2015 11:19 am
Landiroamer

United Kingdom 2015 Freelander 2 TD4_e SE Manual Orkney Grey

dorsetfreelander wrote:
"do you want some different price stickers on?". I said "why?" , "Oh because a lot of blokes who come in here don't want their wives to think they have spent so much money". Shocked

I wonder if that would work on a new Land Rover?? Laughing

Post #279542 27th Oct 2015 11:59 am
Thon

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Zermatt Silver

My wife was nervous too of the diff failure but completely understandably because the last car failure I had ended up in a ton of aggro with a dealer, an engine reconditioner/thief, solicitor and the courts. I lost around £7500 and gained several hundred grey hairs as a result. As I have found out to my cost, being in the right does not necessarily mean justice will follow ....

But I will say I am the luckiest man alive to have married this angel for a million reasons but one particular one relevant to this post - she is currently "trialling" the FL2 to consider adopting it as her car, allowing me to add a 110 Defender CSW Puma to the collection. She's a great driver but hasn't had much experience of driving a 4x4, so kudos to her for even attempting it.

She's the best and i'm the luckiest!! 2007 Freelander 2 XS TD4. Mantec Sump & Tank Guards, Yokohama Geolandar AT tyres
2007 Defender 110 SW TD4.

Post #279548 27th Oct 2015 12:49 pm
Still Lost in France

France 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

dorsetfreelander wrote:

My fear is that when I die my wife will sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it.

Post #279553 27th Oct 2015 1:45 pm
mudslinger

Wales 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Sumatra Black

OHHHHH if only, my wife shares my hobby (only to prove a point .. I hasten to add I,m not thick say,s she .) Grrr and if I try the kidology bit , she is straight on the websites chacking prices and tells me I,m telling lies LOOK SEE HEAR ..!

better to tell the truth and just pay fer the next Censored cruise ....!! Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Wales
Were the mud is thicker, and the ruts are deeper.
(And we have the water to wash it off, and more on the way..! )
Sd4 and chrome Ar*e piece, Auto box for best fun
09 Xs Gone
12 xs Gone
HSE with Leather seats and 4 years warrenty.. staying for now !

Post #279561 27th Oct 2015 2:29 pm
heyho

My wife has an aversion to driving my FL. She has a Citreon DS3 in bright yellow! Naturally Ive driven it only a hand full of times in the 3 years she has had it. Did take it out the other day though and forgot how much fun front wheel spin is lol.

She got the DS3 through her salary sacrifice scheme and it ends next February. SHe wanted an Audi A1 but the monthly price was silly so I tried to persuade her to get a 208 GTline. What did she end up with - another bloody DS3. It is in a better colour now though - Ruby Red and its a sports model. I'm looking forward to this bad winter we are supposedly having Thumbs Up

Post #279617 27th Oct 2015 9:15 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>