Home > General > New member questions
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Simonkay1

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey
New member questions

Hi Guys and Girls

I am new to the forum and to Freelander 2 ownership. I have had a couple of Discovery's in the past so know the quirks of LR ownership.

I have just brought a 2010 FL2 HSE Auto Diesel and have a couple of questions which I just need answered to put my mind at rest

1. I have a short grating/whooshing sound that lasts for 2/3 seconds on pull away. It seems to be coming from the gearbox area. I took it into the local LR dealers as I have warranty on it and they told me that there is nothing wrong and a normal sound on a car of 39k miles. To me, it does not sound right and although doesn't get any worse, it will not help if I want to sell it as it is noticeable. I have read that this is a characteristic of 2010 FL2 Auto's and is not a problem, but wondered if there is any update on this view.

2. I am getting 29.7 mpg which is mainly Motorway mileage, I was expecting to get better, but is this normal for an Auto?
I find that the engine seems to 'pink' a lot and sound a littler rattley but runs fine and have put that down to it being an LR... Is the pinking normal on these cars?

Would appreciate any advice Very Happy

Simon

Post #254886 26th Feb 2015 11:55 am
Nick Jan

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

No idea on Q1; sure others will comment/help.

AS for mpg with an Auto Diesel FL2 ………. I have a 2007 (less fuel efficient) TD4 and my most recent motorway trip of about 320 miles round trip, including inevitable hold-ups at Dartford tunnel going north, was 34.2 mpg. I was not hanging around either, but I do avoid excessive acceleration & braking! Razz

Average driving of FL2 for me mpg is usually around 31.5, unless its very cold weather and short trips, when it drops to around 27 mpg. Life is not a dress rehearsal!

Post #254890 26th Feb 2015 12:04 pm
Simonkay1

Thanks Nick

34.2 is better than I am getting now Sad

Hope some of the other members can help Confused

Post #254894 26th Feb 2015 12:26 pm
archie98

England 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 SE Auto Stornoway Grey

The auto box they all do as far as I know, mine will do 41 on the motorway but drops down with short runs

Post #254898 26th Feb 2015 12:56 pm
Dartman the one

England 

I have the SD version of your car and there is no whoosh on take off or pinking sound, mpg on a Mway 32-36, but be carefull that is at 70mph, 72 it does drop 69 is better Sad my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #254899 26th Feb 2015 12:59 pm
LR WILD

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 SD4 Sport Auto Fuji White

Hi Simon

On third auto freelander and current on has same miles as yours. Mine certainly has no noise nor has the previous ones.

As regards to mpg on sd4 averaging 35.8 at the moment mainly a and b roads.

Post #254900 26th Feb 2015 1:00 pm
npinks

United Kingdom 

my old 2010 TD4 HSE auto made the noise, sort of sounds metal on metal and a whoosh thrown in for extra measure, made it all the time from new to selling it, the only time it didn't make it was when it had its turbo replaced, but eventually the noise came back

as for mpg, over 5 years mine averaged 24mpg on all types of driving (calculated on fill to fill mileage) and motorways on my longer trip i got high twenties chasing BMW's or low thirties if I was driving Miss Daisy Former Mod/Member, with the most post & Chicken George Arch nemesis

Post #254905 26th Feb 2015 1:14 pm
submarine

Wales 2008 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Manual Santorini Black

For the record, are people providing your onboard mpg figures or calculated from fill ti fill (using british gallons) as I notice a difference of a few mpg compared with the onboard calculations (onboard for my 58 manual shows about 31-32mpg, typically get around 29mpg using good ol maths)

Post #254928 26th Feb 2015 4:18 pm
Dartman the one

England 

Fill to fill as best as I can work out, fill to trigger trips then spend anther half hour trickling it in, when I reckon I can get no more in and put the gun back in, it goes glug , glug and you can get more in. Evil or Very Mad Laughing my PC is slightly to the right of Genghis
2012 HSE SD4 In Orkney Grey now gone, best car ever.

Post #254951 26th Feb 2015 6:21 pm
submarine

I'm afraid that I've been caught out with that before, filling the tank and paying, jumping back in and it's only 3/4 full Evil or Very Mad

Post #254955 26th Feb 2015 6:32 pm
Simonkay1

Thanks for all the responses guys, so mixed messages about the gearbox noise. Still have 6 months on the warranty, will keep an eye on it to see if it gets any worse.

Regards the MPG, I took the reading off the on board computer that says 'All Fuel 29.7 mpg' and is probably at the lower end of what people are getting.

Still interested to hear any other comments if anyone has any Smile

Post #254978 26th Feb 2015 9:06 pm
submarine

I wonder whether that noise is something to do with the coolant for the auto? I don't have one so I don't know, so just a query. Do you still get the noise at a slow pull away (such as before the turbo spools up completely), or do you get it when changing gear, or when lifting off the throttle rapidly? Noting npinks history of the turbo, but to me I am surprised that turbo noise wouldn't be more evident with higher loads.

Auto torque limiter or clutch then? No idea what the FL2 has but thinking of the forces through the drivetrain / gearbox from a standstill.

Anyone - in normal mode, after how long does the RWD stop being driven, as I understand they're engaged from stop, then obviously they stop getting the drive at some point. Would this be related?

Post #255032 27th Feb 2015 11:46 am
Chatuge

United Kingdom 2011 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Auto Santorini Black

60K miles on my 2011 and no noise, and I get 33mpg average.

Post #255047 27th Feb 2015 12:39 pm
SakoQuad

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Santorini Black

I have a 2010 XS Td4 Auto bought 2 years ago.

I get around 31 - 32 mpg overall with around 35mpg at 70mph on motorway. As previously noted slightly faster reduces mpg measurably slightly slower increases it measurably too.

I get no strange noises on accelerating from standstill, grating or whooshing!

I use 2SO and haven't been sure if that made the engine less clattery but recently I didn't put any 2SO in for 2 consecutive fills and I had started to think that it was noisier especially on starting in the morning. On last fill put 2SO in and it is definitely quieter. Trouble is I also topped up engine oil with 1/2 litre of oil as well so can't be 100% which action reduced the noise level!!!

Post #255061 27th Feb 2015 1:57 pm
Simonkay1

Thanks again everyone, I will take a closer look at fuel usage, but still unsure about gearbox noise. Some say it is there others not, but no-one seems to think it is an issue. Think I will monitor it a little longer.

Submarine.. noise is only there when accelerating away from a standstill and is only there for 1-2 seconds, someone said it could be a dump valve or pressure releasing... but nothing definite Confused

Thanks SakoQuad, I might try putting 2SO in and see if it makes a difference.

Post #255356 2nd Mar 2015 6:19 pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>