« Advertise on Freel2.com

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Permanent power for a tracker
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Wing

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE Lux Auto Santorini Black

Chris B
Any idea where he took the live feed from to supply the in-line fuse. I've been trying to find a permanent live since I bought the car last November without luck. All my aux sockets (front and rear) shut down when I lock the car! Thanks.

Post #227114 14th Jun 2014 1:04 pm
dorsetfreelander

United Kingdom 2014 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Loire Blue

I thought that the general view on trackers is that they are a waste of time. What happens is that the car is stolen and parked up somewhere for a few days to see if the police come. Invariably they don't as they have more important things to do and it's way down the priority list. Similarly if it's moved abroad, can you imagine the French police chasing it? Then someone comes with a detector to pick up the signal and locate and remove it or the thieves just put the car inside a container and send it off to wherever.

My son has a Porsche with a tracker (unactivated) and the insurance company didn't seem to be concerned about whether it was activated or not.

Post #231743 16th Aug 2014 12:48 am
ad210358

England 

My understanding is the Tracker can still be detected in Containers and Multi Storey Car Parks, it's fitted to a high percentage of Police Cars permanently switched on, plus staff of Tracker have a detector in the car.
As it is supposedly, not a lot of good, a number of insurance companies would not cover me for Theft or Attempted Theft unless I had a Tracker fitted with an active subscription and this is on a D4.
Also with full European coverage.

Not bad for one month

http://www.tracker.co.uk/Tracker/media/pdf...y-2014.pdf

Post #231748 16th Aug 2014 7:42 am
dorsetfreelander

"My understanding is the Tracker can still be detected in Containers"

Have you ever heard of the Faraday Cage effect? Basically radio waves can't get in or out of a conducting box.

Actually there was also a TV programme about it this week where a guy was talking about how he removes trackers after parking the car up country lanes for a few days to see if anyone ever turns up. My son's Porsche cost nearly £50k and none of the insurance companies asked for a tracker or offered a discount for having one.

Post #231750 16th Aug 2014 8:13 am
ad210358

England 

So your saying that the details on the Tracker website are incorrect.

Post #231766 16th Aug 2014 10:34 am
shiggsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

VHF trackers can be detected in metal containers, gps and gsm can't. 
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.

Post #231772 16th Aug 2014 12:00 pm
dorsetfreelander

I am sure that the tracker system works but it does require a third party ie the police to attend the scene and considering that the police are already under pressure I can't believe it would be high on their priority list.
I am sure that many cars are recovered using tracker, what would be more interesting would be what proportion of those reported missing are actually recovered. As for dealing with other countries' police forces, in my experience I would be surprised if they would attach much urgency to a request but I could be wrong.

Also it could be a nice little earner for insurance companies if they got a referral fee (like with the no win no fee lawyers) which might explain why some companies are more insistent than others.

One final point, try putting tracker blocker into Google and see the range of equipment available.

Post #231777 16th Aug 2014 1:13 pm
oldgeezer

United Kingdom 2013 Freelander 2 TD4 GS Manual Baltic Blue

Tracker isnt worth bothering with ! thieves these days just use a mobile phone tracker to search the vehicle and can find numerous trackers fitted in vehicles in minutes ! they also now use a tracker jammer inserted in the cig lighter socket whilst taking the vehicle Jaguar x-type sport gone
Jaguar x-type 2.2d sport one of my best cars ever sadly gone
Freelander 2 GS auto 2008 most unreliable ever ! gladly gone
Freelander 2 GS manual 2013 only time will tell !

Post #231778 16th Aug 2014 1:16 pm
shiggsy

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Baltic Blue

Nothing is infallible, everything can be bypassed, but there are more stupid criminals out there than clever ones, (otherwise they probably wouldn't be criminals), so it represents one more line of defence.

If you look at the pdf above it quotes 22,613 recoveries in 2013 with 2403 arrests, 2 vehicle last month recovered in less than 1 hour, so it seems the police do bother. I would have imagined with performance targets to meet by the under pressure police a quick available arrest statistic pinpointed by a flashy red dot is probably very attractive to them 
Hung like Einstein, smart as a horse.

Post #231780 16th Aug 2014 1:44 pm
ad210358

England 

oldgeezer wrote:
Tracker isnt worth bothering with ! thieves these days just use a mobile phone tracker to search the vehicle and can find numerous trackers fitted in vehicles in minutes ! they also now use a tracker jammer inserted in the cig lighter socket whilst taking the vehicle

Tracker say different.

Patented VHF technology to find stolen vehicles even when they are hidden in metal containers or underground car parks
The combination of 3 methods of location tracking (VHF, GSM and GPS) provides Europe wide coverage
Dual technology and signal jamming detection to stop criminals using GPS/GSM jammers to block the tracking device
In-built motion sensors to identify unauthorised movement
Nationwide support from all UK police forces
Full access to the My TRACKER website
The TRACKER Mesh Network for even faster and more accurate tracking and location

http://www.tracker.co.uk/products/tracker-locate/

I don't work for Tracker but I have to use their services to get cover on a couple of items.

Post #231830 16th Aug 2014 9:15 pm
choccymonster

United Kingdom 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Manual Tambora Flame

I'd argue that a stolen car known to be fitted with a tracker (assuming it hasn't been disabled) is an easy "win" for the police, and is therefore likely to get bumped to the top of the list to be dealt with (rather than ignored because they've got better things to do).

Post #231845 16th Aug 2014 10:56 pm
dorsetfreelander

"Tracker say different.
Patented VHF technology to find stolen vehicles even when they are hidden in metal containers or underground car parks"

I used to work for a big electronics company and we had a screened room which was really just a metal box with a well fitting door. Believe me, nothing could get in our of that at any frequency. But perhaps the laws of physics have changed since then.

Post #231850 16th Aug 2014 11:44 pm
ad210358

England 

Why don't you notify Trading Standards, I'm sure they would be interested Question

Post #231888 17th Aug 2014 9:21 am
taztastic

England 

Modern shipping containers very often use RFID technology, it could well be this that tracker are exploiting this to get the signal "out of the box". If it's a crappy old container then there is little chance of the signal escaping, especially as the tracker device power capabilities so far as radiating a signal are fairly limited.
40 cars a week disappear in shipping containers and few are found, usually high end stuff that may well have a tracker fitted.

Post #231893 17th Aug 2014 10:08 am
iain cooper

Scotland 2009 Freelander 2 TD4_e HSE Manual Lago Grey

Wing wrote:
Chris B
Any idea where he took the live feed from to supply the in-line fuse. I've been trying to find a permanent live since I bought the car last November without luck. All my aux sockets (front and rear) shut down when I lock the car! Thanks.

Chris B isn't telling, in case you nick his Freelander !!

come on guys it's not a classic Ferrari, and if someone did nick it, do you really want it back ? unless of course you have something more valuable stashed in it ?

Iain

Post #231898 17th Aug 2014 10:45 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>