51%
 51%  [75]
Total Votes: 147

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 75 of 93 <123 ... 747576 ... 919293>
Print this entire topic · 
Guy Wood

United Kingdom 

Just another quick update from a satisfied tester... I drive a 2009 Micra K12 diesel with the 1.5 dCi 86 Renault engine. I've used Asda Jaso FB oil at 200ml per 40 litres of fuel for alot of tankfuls now, maybe 700 litres of diesel in total.

The engine is quiet and smoke free, starts like a charm and pulls like a train. The exhaust opacity test at a very recent MOT was 0.84 out of an allowable 2.5 which a definite improvement.

I do scrub out the EGR valve when I change the oil with Renault approved fully synth every 6,000 miles which may explain the excellent performance of my car but I'm definitely gonna continue using the 2SO Smile !

Post #227828 24th Jun 2014 9:03 pm
nickkuts

Bulgaria 2007 Freelander 2 TD4 XS Auto Nazca Sand

nickkuts wrote:
Hallo,
I use 2stroke oil in the diesel from day one i bought my FL2
Some time now i am adding Bardahl BDC additive.
I am mixing the portion of 2 stroke oil and the additive in one bottle prior pouring in the tank.
Do you think the mixed fluid is less effective than the two fluids separately?

Any opinions?....

Post #228022 28th Jun 2014 3:02 pm
dunkley201

United Kingdom 2010 Freelander 2 TD4 HSE Auto Stornoway Grey

Sorry, no experience of your Bardahl BDC. I use 2SO on its own and have no problems, just less smoke. Cannot see the need of any additives.
Bob 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

08 FL2 TD4 SE Manual in Rimini Red (Now Gone)

Post #228052 28th Jun 2014 10:44 pm
dervdave

United Kingdom 

Many might say the same about using 2 stroke oil Bob

Post #229240 17th Jul 2014 6:59 pm
dunkley201

Each to their own dd. My experience is that 2SO halves the MOT smoke test results so it must be doing something good. Also an extra dose of lube is going to do no harm. 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

Post #229252 17th Jul 2014 8:52 pm
Winslet

United Kingdom 

Just made the second fill of 2SO in my MY2013 today. Using JASO FC spec from Castrol (Act>Evo 2T) at £9.99 from Halfords for 1 litre. Prior to this I had been using up some Millers Diesel Power Ecomax left over from when we had a camper van. Never felt this made any difference (although it did to the van on start up).

I believe it is making difference - the engine is smoother and quieter both on start up and when warm. No DPF regen so far - prior to this it sometimes tried to do it on the way to work which isn't a long enough journey - you can tell as the MPG drops and there is hot smell when you switch off and get out.

The 2SO isn't cheap though, Halfords turned out to be the best and easy direct source. I have looked in various places but most only have FB spec which isn't recommended in DPF vehicles. My local fuel station had some FC for £15 for 1 litre today!

Currently using 250ml per fill.

Anyone else running a DPF car with 2SO? 2016 BMW X3 30d SE in red
MY2013 SD4 XS Firenze Red, 19" 10 spoke contrast paint wheels, Signature Strips, Grand Black Lacquer trim, Cold Climate Pack - gone!
2007 TD4 S Stornoway Grey - gone!

Post #235325 20th Sep 2014 8:23 pm
TC-W3

Australia 

That seems expensive for the oil? I'm in Oz and it's generally a pricey neck of the woods but I buy Valvoline 2 stroke racing oil, which is JASO FC grade and costs $9.95 for 1L that's close to half the price you're paying. It also comes in a container with 100ml graduations so it's easy to use at the pump.

My current car is a Skoda Yeti 103TDI DSG 4x4 rated at 6.7L/100km. I averaged exactly 6.7L/100km for the first 3,000km without 2SO to let the rings bed in and at 12,000km it's averaged 6.2L/100km with 2SO. By calculation not the optimistic readout.

I have never noticed the DPF regen operating but assume it must. Out of interest I just took a torch and looked inside the tailpipes. They are amazingly clean, much cleaner than a petrol engine and no sign of any soot, just shiny steel! It sounds more like a petrol engine than a diesel, especially when you blip the throttle.

Post #235347 21st Sep 2014 1:24 am
Ahtoxtrail

Estonia 

Any problems with diesel parking heaters? i heard rumors that it might clog the heater, but i doubt it.

Post #235710 24th Sep 2014 6:57 am
TC-W3

Australia 

What's a diesel parking heater?

Post #235734 24th Sep 2014 11:01 am
dunkley201

When, unlike you guys in Oz, you live in a place that gets VERY COLD, like Estonia, you would appreciate a heater to keep the car warm when parked up! Whistle 10MY (Sept 09) TD4 HSE Auto in Stornoway Grey (Now Gone)

Post #235735 24th Sep 2014 11:11 am
Ahtoxtrail

Estonia 

TC-W3 wrote:
What's a diesel parking heater?

A parking heater that runs on diesel fuel, like Webasto or Eberspaecher.
I am using 2so fast 2 years from now and i plan to install an Eberspaecer. Like many today's common rail diesel engines, they do not produce much wasted heat to heat up the cabin. In winter, most time is below -15c here and in Jan, Freb and March is common -25c at nights. Some cars have PTC ceramic heaters in HVAC systems but mine does not.

A few Estonian adventures went to Siberia two years ago, they sayd that they can not use 2so because it can clog the aux heater and had fuel stability problems, but no aux heater in -45c is very bad.

Post #235740 24th Sep 2014 12:11 pm
TC-W3

Australia 

Thanks for the info.

I moved back from Tasmania after a year because it was too cold. I can't imagine living in that sort of temperature!

Strange that 2SO should cause problems at low temperatures. I would have thought it would have again improved the combustion and emissions. Could they have been using fully synthetic 2SO in the mineral diesel and could that synthetic oil have a higher freezing point?

Post #235745 24th Sep 2014 1:06 pm
Ahtoxtrail

Estonia 

They did not used any 2SO, because they feared that the aux heater will clog. So i ask here, users with aux heater, did you have got any problems with the aux heater?

Post #235750 24th Sep 2014 1:30 pm
Leadwing

Canada 

There are several hundred posts about this, and perhaps it has already been answered, but I will ask anyway. Forgive me if it has already been answered somewhere in the middle of this thread.

In Canada, our diesel has a low sulfur content diesel (500ppm sulfur) and ultra low diesel (15ppm sulfur), but it (the sulfur) clogs up the EGR valve if the vehicle is driven too slowly over long periods of time. I understand that adding 0.3 litres of 2-stroke oil to 75 litres of fuel will help prevent the clogging.

My concern is the colour of the fuel after the oil has been added. Near the beginning of this thread, it was mentioned that there is a red dye added to fuel to be used by farm and marine vehicles and vessels.

The oil I intend to use is a semi synthetic oil called "Big Red". It's original colour is red. I have a 205 litre drum which is still ½ full of this oil. I used it with good success in the 70's and 80's when I was racing in motocross. Now retired from that but still have a lot left and would like to put it to good use if it will not cause problems.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I will appreciate any answers that will put my mind at rest about the colour.

Post #235857 25th Sep 2014 4:05 am
wizking

England 2013 Freelander 2 SD4 XS Auto Indus Silver

The small amount you add will have little colour effect overall compared to actual red diesel. And you are doing nothing wrong by adding 2SO. If you look at other additives you can buy over the counter for fuel, they are often red too.

Post #235871 25th Sep 2014 8:42 am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 75 of 93 <123 ... 747576 ... 919293>